Malwarebytes Rejects Installation File Downloaded

rwrider

There is something wrong with the latest downloaded installation as Malwarebtyes rejects it. Googling for answers, many are complaining of "Candyware" or something named like that. The consensus is that you are now including adware which nobody wants, many are looking for alternates.

This is a trajedy as this is such a great program to have to give up. Not only that, I have donated to help in the work you have done.

I suggest that you remove the adware garbage. If you wish to have funds again, solicit for more donations, or put the program up for purchase and require a registration.

Just my simple minded thoughts!

OpenCandy *offers* 3rd party applications during the installation wizard. If you don't want them, opt out of installing them. That's all there is to it.

The previous version always offered a toolbar. The newer version (released a couple of years ago!) is just a little more dynamic and you can get offered whatever OpenCandy has in its portfolio.

• 3 weeks later...

OpenCandy *offers* 3rd party applications during the installation wizard. If you don't want them, opt out of installing them. That's all there is to it.

The previous version always offered a toolbar. The newer version (released a couple of years ago!) is just a little more dynamic and you can get offered whatever OpenCandy has in its portfolio.

That isn't the whole story. Because whoever makes OpenCandy realizes that most people are clued on by now and will opt out of such "offers", they have resorted to deception. The OpenCandy installer uses deceptive tactics like greyed out options that are designed to look like you shouldn't be able to click on them. (why the hell else would you grey out a clickable button?? I mean, FFS, really?) The only reason anyone does that deliberately is because they hope to deceive someone, and they know it works. They wouldn't do it if it didn't. That is why they demand complete control over the interface that is presented to users with these "offers", as Lightning UK is so fond of pointing out. That is why malwarebytes, and many other such programs recognize it as malicious. Because it is. It isn't a false positive, as Lightning UK has claimed here previously. It deliberately uses deception to trick people into installing software they don't want. That meets the definition of malware.

Lightning UK is aware of this, but chooses to take their money, ethics be damned.

Now, I don't know if you signed a contract before you realized what they were really up to, and now they've got you by the balls, or if you understood exactly what ethical compromises you'd have to make for the money, but this isn't right, and I'm sure that you know it.

Edited by drumphil

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.