Verify fails and DVD-R is not usable

machser

Hi,

I just installed ImgBurn 2.1.0.0 drag'n'dropped the image to ImgBurn clicked the verify-checkbox and gave it a burn.

I was burning an .img-File (4.666.949.788 Bytes) to a blank Ritek G05 (DVD-R).

Like mentioned in the topic title the disc is not usable and the verify after the burn failed.

I used DVDDecrypter earlier, while I was getting errors by burning DVDs with other apps too I deinstalled Nero, RecordNow! and DVDDecrypter so I'm having ImgBurn left alone as a burning app, it seemed the features were enough for me.

What do I have to do to test if my drive (Pioneer DVR-106D, Firmware 1.08) has crashed, since it's nearly 3 years old, the Ritek-blanks that I use or the software (ImgBurn) is not that good for my hardware as I thought ?

While throwing 4 misburned dvds in the basket i wish

best regards

Machser

Edited by machser

well, I'm using the Riteks for years now and never failed with 'em!

Here's the log:

I 23:50:33 ImgBurn Version 2.1.0.0 started!

I 23:50:33 Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 2)

W 23:50:33 Drive R:\ (FAT32) does not support single files > 4 GB

I 23:50:33 Initialising SPTI...

I 23:50:33 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 23:50:34 Found 4 DVD-ROMs and 1 DVD?RW!

I 23:56:20 Operation Started!

I 23:56:20 Source File: G:\BRENNEN\image.img

I 23:56:20 Source File Sectors: 2.278.784 (MODE1/2048)

I 23:56:20 Source File Size: 4.666.949.632 bytes

I 23:56:20 Source File Volume Identifier: VideoTraining

I 23:56:20 Source File Application Identifier: TOAST ISO 9660 BUILDER COPYRIGHT © 1997-2004 ROXIO, INC. - HAVE A NICE DAY

I 23:56:20 Source File Implementation Identifier: Roxio Toast

I 23:56:20 Source File File System(s): ISO9660; Joliet; UDF (1,02)

I 23:56:20 Destination Device: [1:1:0] PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-106D 1.08 (H:) (ATA)

I 23:56:20 Destination Media Type: DVD-R (Disc ID: RITEKG05) (Speeds: 1x; 2x; 4x)

I 23:56:20 Destination Media Sectors: 2.297.888

I 23:56:20 Write Mode: DVD

I 23:56:20 Write Type: DAO

I 23:56:20 Write Speed: MAX

I 23:56:20 Link Size: Auto

I 23:56:20 Test Mode: No

I 23:56:20 BURN-Proof: Enabled

I 00:00:15 Filling Buffer...

I 00:00:15 Writing LeadIn...

I 00:00:59 Writing Image...

I 00:14:36 Synchronising Cache...

I 00:15:02 Image MD5: ec974641d9682d018c3c7be7016b9205

I 00:15:02 Operation Successfully Completed! - Duration: 00:18:42

I 00:15:02 Average Write Rate: 5.585 KB/s (4.0x) - Maximum Write Rate: 5.802 KB/s (4.2x)

I 00:15:02 Cycling Tray before Verify...

W 00:15:41 Waiting for device to become ready...

W 00:15:42 Device Not Ready - Incompatible Medium Installed

W 00:15:42 Retrying (1 of 3)...

I 00:15:42 Cycling Tray before Verify...

W 00:16:24 Waiting for device to become ready...

W 00:16:25 Retry Failed - Incompatible Medium Installed

W 00:16:25 Retrying (2 of 3)...

I 00:16:25 Cycling Tray before Verify...

W 00:17:08 Waiting for device to become ready...

W 00:17:09 Retry Failed - Incompatible Medium Installed

W 00:17:09 Retrying (3 of 3)...

I 00:17:09 Cycling Tray before Verify...

W 00:17:35 Waiting for device to become ready...

I 00:53:07 Abort Request Acknowledged

E 00:53:07 Device Not Ready - Incompatible Medium Installed

E 00:53:07 Operation Aborted!

We used to swear by Ritek G04 discs. Then G05's came out and were useless compared to G04's.

The drives & media forum kinda shows the G05's aren't as good as modern Verbatim MCC or Taiyo Yuden discs.

Your 106 burner looks to be getting pretty dated now, have you had it since it came out? Perhaps you've just worn it out! It's that or the G05's are just getting worse and worse / you got a dodgy batch.

do you mean before you burn it?

if so , mount it in daemon tools and watch it in power dvd or media player CLASSIC , not windows media player

how do you watch a dvd with data on it in a software-dvd-player ? :D

I meant if the image was created correctly...

btw, you asked for a log, what do you say about it ?

You ask how to watch an image. Mount it in daemon tools and open the DVD package in any popular software player.

Not sure I'd be using Roxio as my image builder. More inclined to run with ImgBurn's built in app.

You've been warned about the G05s - they were the downfall of Ritek. Go with Yudens or Verbatims.

Regards

Just to add to the comments above - I would avoid the G05's, I perservered with them for a while but I was chucking away half a spindle of 50 with failures before I switched to Taiyo Yuden discs.

If you still want to try it's up to you but the price difference between the G05's and Taiyo's or Verbatims is not worth the hassles.... :)

You ask how to watch an image. Mount it in daemon tools and open the DVD package in any popular software player.

Not sure I'd be using Roxio as my image builder. More inclined to run with ImgBurn's built in app.

You can also take a kind of short cut, depending on what you want to do. If you know what you're doing :lol: and don't need to test menus, etc. you can take a shortcut and load many images directly into DVD Shrink. Then, you can play in the preview window, though it's small, and navigate with some basic controls.

Absolutely avoid Roxio/Sonic products. ;) Easy Media 9 is just as messed up as 8... because it's just Version 8 with all the updates applied and a few regressions, like button menus taken out of some views where they used to belong, crashes occurring on the same data that version 8's apps were fine with, changes in overlays to menus to give them different colors and appear to be new and updated, etc. It's hard to imagine Sonic carrying on the Roxio tradition, but, they have. Each version is worse than the last. Sonic apparently decided, instead, rather than replace Easy Media with RecordNow, they just decided to toss both into a blender. So that parts of Easy Media get called when you want X done, and parts of RecordNow get called when you run Y app! An absolute mess! :angry:

Absolutely avoid Roxio/Sonic products. ;) Easy Media 9 is just as messed up as 8... because it's just Version 8 with all the updates applied and a few regressions, like button menus taken out of some views where they used to belong, crashes occurring on the same data that version 8's apps were fine with, changes in overlays to menus to give them different colors and appear to be new and updated, etc. It's hard to imagine Sonic carrying on the Roxio tradition, but, they have. Each version is worse than the last. Sonic apparently decided, instead, rather than replace Easy Media with RecordNow, they just decided to toss both into a blender. So that parts of Easy Media get called when you want X done, and parts of RecordNow get called when you run Y app! An absolute mess! :angry:

well, I guessed that TOAST is standard on Macs (were the image comes from), and if it uses a Roxio-Engine that is to be avoided, what else is recommended on Macs ?

The image content has NOTHING to do with the burners ability to burn it.

Your drive is failing way before any software attempts to read the files on it - in fact, programs aren't allowed to read what's on it because the drive can't perform basic TOC analysis.

The problem here is between your drive, it's firmware and the media you're using. It's NOT due to what you're burning.

well, I guessed that TOAST is standard on Macs (were the image comes from), and if it uses a Roxio-Engine that is to be avoided, what else is recommended on Macs ?

That's a good question. Macs, supposedly, have good reputations for being machines to be able to make movies with. i.e. they were early adopters of it. Maybe the Mac version of Toast is okay. Or maybe Roxio/Sonic bought it from someone who made it work. :lol: Just give it time to suck, then, like how Easy Media died a slow death after Version 5's laborious trek to XP compatibility.

I gave it another burn with a Verbatim DVD-RW and it does the same with this rewritable: I burned another image with ImgBurn, after the burn and cycling the tray (3 times) the recordable isn't recognized. But I was able to Erase the Disc with ImgBurn again and it'll show up as Free Space: 4.707.319.808 bytes in the info-box.

At frist it seems the laser isn't working correctly anymore, is there a test to clear that out ?

But, there has been a windows-update recently (with a few security patches and a framework 2.0 security patch), only a few days ago, could it be, that these updates interfere with the burning capability of my drive ?

This evening I will deinstall the drive from windows and reboot, so windows is able to re-recognize it again, if this helps I will report, if I'm not reporting it would be still the same...

What can I do more ? I need to free up some space... :'(

Edited by machser

Can I assume that the write-laser is not the same as the read-laser in a dvd-burner ? Because the drive is still able to read dvds and cds...

How do I check if the lens isn't too dirty cause of dust-issues or something like that ? Are these cleaning-cds doing their job as good as the manufacturers of these cds are telling ? Should I give it a try ?

Which drive do you people recommend as a replacement for my old Pioneer DVR-106 ?

Hmm not sure to be honest, I would think it's just 1 lens. Being able to read a disc doesn't mean it's fine though.

I guess it's worth trying a cleaning disc but don't get your hopes up.

As for what to replace it with....any of the latest models of the decent makes will do.

Look in the 'drives & media' forum to see what we (myself and the beta team) are currently using.

don't get caught up by the numbers , in the tests and scans for the different types of media you dont get great burns or scans over 12x .I think many of us here burn around 8X and the quality ratings are in the high 90's, I burn everything at 6x and get great burns and flawless playback.Look in the drives and media forum see if it helps you

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.