Will it copy DVDs?

Stevekir

I make DVDs from UK TV broadcasts to send to my daughter in Germany. Having recorded in the usuall way several  broadcast TV programs on to its internal HDD, I can then select some of them and get it to copy them on to a physical DVD using its built-in DVD player/recordingdrive. That physical DVD is playable on any standalone DVD player and is the one I send to her..

Before I send it I make a backup copy of that physical DVD on to another DVD and store it.

Please note: by DVD I mean a standalone DVD with a Top Menu etc., like those bought in shops allowing Star Wars etc. to be viewed on a standalone DVD player. I DO NOT mean a disc image or something else which is saved by a computer as data on to a disc which is also called a DVD.

(Sorry to be pedantic but I have found problems from using the description "DVD".)

My question: Can imgburn make the "backup copy of that physical DVD on to another DVD" mentioned in the second para?

Thanks.

PS: If I get imgburn I will heed the warnings about not downloading adverts, unwanted stuff etc. along with the download.

Well, there could be an issue depending on how you recorded these shows to DVD.  If you used a standalone DVD recorder like Panasonic makes, some models make DVD's that can't be copied with ImgBurn's Read function.  You have to use Build mode and drag and drop the VIDEO_TS folder into a new Build job to create a new image to make a "copy."

About heeding the warnings of unwanted stuff, the easiest way to do that is to disconnect your modem before running the installer.  The installer will run without OpenCandy phoning home and offering third party installs because it can never access the server that would feed these installs.  You will get an error from OpenCandy not being able to download anything, but who cares?  :lol:

Yes, there's a guide on how to copy a disc in the guides forum.

Do you mean:

-----------------------------------------

Posted 20 March 2008 - 07:22 PM

Please forgive me for not reinventing the wheel here but as there's no 'Copy' mode within ImgBurn, it's actually a case of performing 2 separate operations - 'Read' and then 'Write' - both of which already have their own guides.

1. Follow the 'How to create an image file from a disc with ImgBurn' guide.

http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=6379

2. Follow the 'How to write an image file to a disc with ImgBurn' guide.

http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=61

3. Finished :)

-----------------------------------------

Come to think of it, as an image of a disc is a byte-by-byte copy, writing that to another DVD should make a perfect copy, itself readable.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.