AVG Detects OpenCandy Malware when I run your installer

rj45

Hello,

I was testing your software for possible use by a client this morning, and when I downloaded the installer from your ImgBurn mirror, AVG detected OpenCandy Malware. I also tried installing your software using the Ninite installer, and got the same detection.

Please advise.

David

There's nothing to advise.  It's there.  It's detected as malware but it's not "technically" malware.  It offers other installers for the user to choose or decline to download at the time the ImgBurn installer is run.  Some people don't like this.  I don't.  :)  And some antivirus vendors label it as malware for that reason.

About the only solution is to install ImgBurn on your own computer at home and take the files from the installation folder onto a thumb drive and create an installation package.

Well, unless you can somehow disconnect the client from the Internet at the time the ImgBurn installer is run.  What I do is disconnect my home PC from the web by turning off my cable modem before I run any installer that I know has OpenCandy, like the Freemake ones.  That way, OpenCandy can never phone home and offer me something I don't want.

Well, unless you can somehow disconnect the client from the Internet at the time the ImgBurn installer is run.  What I do is disconnect my home PC from the web by turning off my cable modem before I run any installer that I know has OpenCandy, like the Freemake ones.  That way, OpenCandy can never phone home and offer me something I don't want.

also I would always select Custom (install) Settings (or whatever a program offers) rather then Express Settings and verify each step as to what you are authorizing (or not). I would do this for all shareware or freeware.

Also with the stuff OpenCandy installs, the options for Express or to skip or cancel installs are usually designed to appear to be unselectable.  They'll be greyed out until you select them.  But they should be selectable if you select them.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.