Burning Issues

eddie11013

I have some “very old” DVD-RW discs that I use when burning movies that I only plan on watching once and then erase. They, of course burn at 2.4x. I also have some DVD-RW discs that burn at 4x. I “never” have an issue during the burning process and they always play great on my stand-alone DVD player. In my “old” windows xp Dell computer, I could burn my Verbatim DVD-Rs at 4x. It was extremely rare that there was ever a 'burning' issue, with these discs.

Now I have a new pc, year and a half old, Dell, originally windows 8.1, but now windows 10. Still using those “old” DVD-RW's without issue. And they still burn at 2.4x. But now, using the same Verbatim DVD's, the 'slowest' burn speed allowed on this “new” pc dvd burner is 6x, and, from time to time, I get these failure to start the burn process. This might happen two – three – four times, once, seven times, before it finally started to burn. The “finished” DVD's seem to play fine on the stand-alone DVD player. I have now set the burn speed to 8x, just trying to see if there was a difference, but still the issue shows up, very often. But the DVD's still play.

So, don't worry about, or look to see if I can find an “internal” dvd burner that will burn at 4x, or maybe there is a setting that I can change in the ImgBurn program. I usually burn all projects with the ImgBurn program. Sometimes I forget and set the convertxtodvd program to automatically burn and if there is an “issue” with the “burn” process, it can hang up for some time.

In addition, sometimes the 'read/verify' part fails and I have to abort the process and start anew with another DVD disc.

Maybe there is a 'compatibility' issue with my Dell computer/windows 10 system. Maybe try another burning program that also does the 'read/verify' thing. Maybe read/verify is not necessary?

In the for what its worth department, ImgBurn log shows my system as windows 8:

12:30:29 ImgBurn Version 2.5.8.0 started!

I 12:30:29 Microsoft Windows 8 Core x64 Edition (6.2, Build 9200)

I 12:30:29 Total Physical Memory: 7,781,320 KiB - Available: 6,157,492 KiB

I 12:30:29 Initialising SPTI...

I 12:30:29 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 12:30:32 -> Drive 1 - Info: PLDS DVD+-RW DH-16AES 3D11 (E:) (SATA)

Actually: Windows 10 Home – version 1511 (OS Build 10586.71) / Intel® Pentium® CPU G3220 @ 3.00GHz / Installed memory: 8.00 GB / 64-bit Operating System x64-based processor

Three logs attached, one DVD-RW 4x and one Verbatim DVD+R

FYI, I use a DVD disc cleaner every once in a while.

Sorry for the long post.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

ImgBurn - DVD+R Verify Failed.log

ImgBurn - DVD-RW-4x.log

ImgBurn - Verbatim DVD+R.log

You have to look at what's listed for 'supported write speeds' in the disc info box on the right to see what's available for your drive / firmware / media combo.

It's not possible to override what the drive reports and burn at any given speed.

Your verbatim discs aren't true verbatim discs, they have the ritek mid and not mkm or MCC as they should do. Don't buy verbatim's value range :)

I don't understand what you mean here: “You have to look at what's listed for 'supported write speeds' in the disc info box on the right to see what's available for your drive / firmware / media combo.
It's not possible to override what the drive reports and burn at any given speed.”

If you look at the logs, it shows: Destination Media Supported Write Speeds: 6x, 8x, 12x, 16x. I'm burning at 8x. ???

“Your verbatim discs aren't true verbatim discs, they have the ritek mid and not mkm or MCC as they should do. Don't buy verbatim's value range”

– O.K., understood. However, while I did not post a failure with a Verbatim “MCC”, I have had them. As recently as a couple of days ago. The "read/verify" part failed.  And yes, I currently have both “ritek & MCC” discs.

Any suggestions on how to proceed.

You asked if there was a setting that could be changed to allow you to burn at 4x in your current drive. I was just explaining that's not how these things work I'm afraid. We are always at the mercy of the drive and its firmware.

As far as I can see, your logs just show the drive timing out after a while. It appears unable to burn the discs. If you're running into exactly the same issue with the real verbatim discs, I'd recommend you invest in a new drive.

Actually I have had this problem for some time now. Since I was using the convertxtodvd program, I began by going to their forum. Thinking it had something to do with their program. After a “lot” of tests, they also suggested that I get a new 'DVD disc burner' because they couldn't see that their program was the cause. Called Dell, they took over my computer and could find nothing wrong with my 'burner', but, on my insistence, they sent me a new burner, which I installed. Frankly, I didn't notice any difference. So, that was about 'six' months ago, so I thought I would check with this forum. I could look for a different burner, but I haven't tried a different 'software' burning program, so maybe I should try that “cheaper” option first. Even though I have been using ImgBurn, since like forever. I still think there is some issue with windows 10, maybe Dell, and these programs, because with my windows XP I never had an issue. And I have been 'burning' DVD's for at least 10 years.  Just saying.

Thanks for replying.

Sorry, I think I might have confused the issue. The point I was trying to make, is that I “can” burn DVD-RW's at 2.4x or 4x and the results “are” “perfect” every single time, without fail. No 'time out' or read / verify issues. That would seem to indicate that there is nothing wrong with the DVD disc burner. I have to also conclude that there must be nothing wrong with the 'convertxtodvd' program that I am using because everything starts with this program and then I use ImgBurn to burn the project.

So then, what? I will restate what I said in the beginning, my “old” burner could burn DVD's at 4x and I never had a problem. Since I have been using Verbatim disc's for more than ten years, did “they” change that you couldn't burn at 4x or did something else change? I'm not aware that Imgburn changed their program, although there is a newer version that came out a couple of years ago, I think.

So, do they even make “internal” DVD burners that will burn a blank media at 4x even though “supported write speeds are 6x, 8x, etc.”

Just trying to resolve a long running issue.

Thanks again

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.