BD-RE 25GB format to 22.5GB

FuckThisShit

I've bought a Blu-Ray burner and some discs. Samsung SE506CB and Sony BD-RE 25GB/Go. discs.

It's my understanding that 25,025,315,816 bytes ÷ 1024 = 24,438,784.977 KB ÷ 1024 = 23,866 MB ÷ 1024 = 23.307 GB. Imgburn should be able to format the 25GB discs to maximum capacity of 23.3GB for data storage. With the option "no use for spare sectors" enabled, I still get discs formatted @ 22.5GB according to Windows..

I am new to BluRay.

What am I doing wrong?

If you're formatting Blu-Rays like giant floppy discs with File/Windows Explorer, then the format will always give you only about 23 GB out of the available 25.  It has to do with the file overhead used by the file system.  If you use ImgBurn to burn an image to a Blu-Ray, you'll get the full 25 GB of space.

I'm afraid I don't know this, but reading this I found might be worth your while.  I don't know how accurate the information is.  My PS3 has no problem playing rewritable BD that was formatted with ImgBurn's default settings.

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/198344-imgburn-formatting-new-bd-re-disks-inviting-problems.html

The two options are totally separate.

And that thread lost all credibility in my eyes when the person spoke of formatting and writing the disc before then trying to 'mount' it in virtual clonedrive and play in powerdvd, tmt and Nero player.

Clearly if you're mounting something in vcd, it's an image file and not a disc. None of those apps would have an issue with playback from a disc formatted without spare areas.

If you're formatting Blu-Rays like giant floppy discs with File/Windows Explorer, then the format will always give you only about 23 GB out of the available 25.  It has to do with the file overhead used by the file system.  If you use ImgBurn to burn an image to a Blu-Ray, you'll get the full 25 GB of space.

Same goes for a BD-RE disc wich, from what I understand, needs to be formatted before usage?

Additional question. I formatted anther empty BD-RE 25gb disc. This time with only "without spare areas" option enabled. Other two options for compatibility 'off'. It took only 49secs to do a full erase. What happened here. Did it do a quick-format instead and the disc is usable, but its surface area isn't checked for errors?

Third question. I like my computer tidy and all. Where should I put the imgburn.exe. In Windows\Program Files (64 bit) or Program Files (x86) directory?

Edited by FuckThisShit

I would guess if you unchecked Format with certification, the format would be relatively quick.  I've never enabled that option but I would guess from its description that enabling it would dramatically increase format time as an entire read of every sector would have to be performed.  A first time format, though, would require the entire format time, I'd guess, as the disc is not usable until its fully formatted.  2x BD-RE takes at least 45 minutes.  Depending on if your drive supports the function (My Pioneer BD doesn't.) another 45 minutes for verification may be performed after that.  I would guess Windows would have to do a full format of the BD-RE, too, on the first time it's used.  BD-RE rarely comes from the factory pre-formatted, although I did receive some that were.

I never change the Windows default format options so my formats are quick.  So, as long as you didn't check Format with certification, the format should take under a minute.  It's always been that way when I formatted BD-RE media.

As for where to put the .EXE, I don't understand what you're doing.  If you run the installer, it should put all the files you'll need where they need to belong.  As far as I remember, there's more than just the .EXE file to run the program, but I'm not sure of that.

Can ImgBurn be run as a portable application?  :unsure:  I don't know.

Full certification and formatting properly are what takes the time.

Full certification is a process performed by the drive itself. It takes a long time - as you've seen.

For bdre, formatting properly makes the program write zeros to every sector on the disc (after the drive has done its thing with the disc). I do this because for whatever reason, formatting the disc didn't erase what was on it when I first implemented formatting for bdre.

Okay I'll do some more tinkering to try and find the answers.

Where in Imgburn can I find disc information regarding available space in bytes/kilobytes?

And regarding an earlier comment, you can get away burning an image larger than 22.5 gb to a 25gb BD-re am I correct?

What if I made an image first that's close to full 25gb capacity I could squeeze in a few gigs more on dthe isc, opposed to just burning files to disc?

ImgBurn can burn the entire space available on a BD-RE, which is 25 GB, as long as the image file is 25 GB or less.  22.5 GB only matters when you format the disc as a giant floppy disk in Windows/File Explorer.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, without getting too technical, you're mostly right.  Because of the various factors of file systems and how files are stored, you won't get exactly 25 GB of files on a disc.  However, the difference between what you'll get and what is available is under 25 but above 24, by only a fraction of a difference.  :)  Anyway, the practical answer is yes.  In Build mode, you will be told at the bottom of the window how much space you've used and is left for adding more files.

UDF 2.6 is probably what you want for 256 character file names ala Windows.  I'm only guessing, but except for DVD Video, which I let ImgBurn choose the best settings for, I use UDF 2.6 for all data jobs.

As for CRC, I think that only occurs when there's an error.  Cyclic Redundancy Check.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.