BD-R problem

RRXING

I've been using X4 MEI-T02-001 (Verbatim) media to burn ISOs quite successfully (Panasonic UJ265 deck) and I think the burns even went beyond the 4X speed when AWS was selected for speed. No bad burns in over 100 runs. Recently I got new "Verbatim" media (supposed to be the same type according to the ad), but it was X6 VERBAT-IMf-000. All the burns failed when AWS was selected for speed. I tried using X2 (ok) and X5 but the X5 noted that only X2 and X6 were possible for the new media and defaulted to X2 which burned ok. I can't provide a log since I already trashed it (sorry), and I don't want to make another coaster unless I have to so I guess I'm asking if anyone has suggestions for getting the speed back up on this new media (anything in ImgBurn I might be missing)? If need be, I can go back and waste another disc and get some log info to post. Thanks.

Edited by RRXING

Only thing I can think of is your drive doesn't have a proper write strategy for burning those VERBATIM at 6x but does for MEI.  MEI is made by Panasonic, even if Verbatim puts their name on the package.  VERBATIM BD-R are made by Verbatim.  So, your drive may be picky on Verbatim media at that speed.

I'd think the only solution would be a firmware update, if one was ever released, that addressed the issue.  I had a weird issue with my Pioneer where DVD+R DL from Verbatim used the same DID/MID on branded and inkjet printable 8x media.  The branded would burn and verify fine but the inkjets always failed at either burning the layer break or on verify at the layer break change.  This was only fixed when Pioneer updated the firmware for the drive about a year later.

Leaving the write speed on AWS does nothing if you don't actually configure the AWS feature. It'll just use MAX speed.

As db says, if your drive has issues with discs, only a firmware update (and/or cleaning the drive) can fix it.

Sometime a drive may do a slightly better job if the 'perform opc before write' option is enabled in the settings. Of course sometimes it does nothing or makes things worse. Might be worth a shot though.

Thanks dbminter & LIGHTNING UKI. That's what I thought was the case. Unfortunately, Panasonic didn't issue any firmware upgrades before they discontinued the deck (Pioneer is now offering one that looks identical)so firmware mod is not an option. I guess I'll burn through these discs at X2. I managed to find more of the original type on-line so will see what I get when I order. It's a bummer that these disc companies change their source and everything goes south. Had that happen with TDK but in that case, couldn't burn at all. Again, in that case, TDKs response was "buy a new drive". What's wrong with this picture??

Anyway, thanks again.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.