Speeding up DVD read speed

thl

Hi,

I wonder how the reading speed of a DVD can be increased, in general. This is not strictly an ImgBurn question but it is related.

I have a BD reader, model MATSHITA BD-CMB UJ160B 1.60 in a Toshiba laptop with Windows 10. For DVD's, the max reading speed is 8x (11080 kB/s) by specification. The reading speed of a DVD by ImgBurn is around 3000 kB/s or DVD 1.3x. Using a custom application I am working on, I get a similar reading speed. However, with the most missed predecessor of ImgBurn, the drive rapidly becomes very noisy and the read rate is around 8300 kB/s or 6x.

How is it possible to speed up the drive this way?

In my application, I have to transfer big files as fast as possible from DVD to disk. I tried various DeviceIoControl using either IOCTL_CDROM_SET_SPEED (set speed or set streaming) and the equivalent MMC commands using IOCTL_SCSI_PASS_THROUGH and could never speed up the drive. Using low speed values, I was able to slow it down but I could never increase to speed higher than the default speed (the same as I observe with ImgBurn as well).

So, is this a huge industrial secret? How did ImgBurn's predecessor to speed up the drive?

Thanks for your help.

There's no special method of doing that. If there was, ImgBurn would be doing it too.

1.3x is a very random speed for your drive to settle on. Can you post the log and maybe the graph data file?

It's probably just some sort of 'riplock' to make it quiet while watching DVD video discs.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.