Buffalo external BDXL drive BRXL-16U3

2dmartin

Anyone with experience of this drive?  I have one; it works fine with 25GB and 50GB BR discs (R & RE).  So I'm now trying a "Sony BD-RE XL 100GB" disc and .... well the drive does not seem to recognise it.   Imgburn reports "device not ready, incompatible medium installed" and other software says "no disc".

I understand that Buffalo use a Pioneer drive internally, whcih would explain why Windows (and ImgBurn) report: "Pioneer BD-RW BDR-209M 8.11 (USB)"    It also seems to be the case that Buffalo have no firmware update(s) for this drive and that Pioneer (rightly) suggest not trying to install standard Pioneer firmware onto their OEM products.

I'm open to suggestions !!   thanks all.

I'd be inclined to blame the Sony media since Sony's made little but junk since 2002, but that's just personal opinion of Sony.  However, my experience with Sony BD-R was the 4 I had, 2 failed to burn properly, 1 succeeded, and I shredded the fourth one without trying and wasting my time.  Only reason I tried them was K-Mart had them on sale to get rid of them.

I have some Pioneer XL BD drives but I've never had the XL media to test it with.  So, I can't say with any experience anything about why your drive might not recognize the media.  It's most likely a firmware issue.  That drive doesn't like those Sony discs.  You will most likely never see a firmware update for a USB drive.  I've had several USB burners over the last 15 years and never once found a firmware update for any of them.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.