Recommended DVD5 brand?

Damned

Since Taiyo Yuden no longer produces recordable DVD-5, the best stuff out there is the Verbatim DataLife Plus DVD with AZO.  You will have to get them online as you can't find them in brick and mortar stores.  Make sure it's DataLife Plus and not just Life series.  Life series is CMC Magnetics junk.

I get them from Amazon.com.  Don't know if NewEgg would have them or not.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00081A2KY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000A0CV9S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

What is the difference between the two links you provided? The second one is the "DataLifePLus" you mentioned, the first mentions Azo but no "DataLifePlus". I see a mention of the MKM dye on the first link, which I know from using the MKM-003 DVD9s Verbatim produces, is apparently what makes those discs top of the line. I presume this is the same case with both of those links you provided?

The only difference between the two is one is inkjet printable and the other isn't.  Even though the branded DVD-R's don't say DataLifePlus, they're the same media.  They have the same Manufacturer ID.  I only put both links because I use both discs.  The branded ones for short term off storage and the printable ones for things in longer term storage that might get a label on them someday.

So, you'll want to see either DataLifePlus or AZO.  I don't know if DataLifePlus uses AZO but those AZO discs are the same high quality discs as the DataLifePlus ones.  So, I'm guess AZO is present on DataLifePlus, too.

Technically, Verbatim doesn't produce the MKM's.  MKM means Mitsubishi made them.  However, Mitsubishi is pretty much the best dye manufacturer out there now with the folding of Taiyo Yuden.  The two discs I linked to use MCC in their MID.  MCC means Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, so Mitsubishi made those DVD-R's, too.  Verbatim just farms out to Mitsubishi for their DVD.  Unfortunately, they also farm out to CMC for their cheaper DVD, CD, and their BD-RE.  Their BD-RE DL though is made by Verbatim itself or in some cases TDK makes them.  My guess is CMC doesn't make dual layer BD-RE because of the lesser profit margin from their cheap ass :greedy: point of view.

Let me put it this way.  I've been using these MCC media for about 10 years now and I've never had a disc fail on me that wasn't the fault of the burner needing replacing.  I've never had one of these discs die on me years later when I tried reading them again.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.