WinHex reported 18 "UNREADABLESECTOR" at end of BD-R - Did I push my limits?

AlbertEinstein

I actually have 3 questions. Let me describe what has happened first.

I am using ImgBurn version 2.5.8.0. I just finished burning a 25GB BD-R SL RiDATA disc.

The burn was 99% successful. I can see and access all (or almost all) my data on the BD-R disc. Windows 10 won't show the label name (WinHex shows the label just fine, and not just in the sector viewer). So I loaded up a hex editor to look at the actual sectors on the BD-R and the label is present in a couple of places.

What's interesting is that WinHex reports the very last 18 sectors of the BD-R disc as unreadable. 18/12,219,200 total sectors. In terms of lost storage capacity the number is so small it isn't even worth caring about.

I am a person who likes to get value for my money. I burned this disc with less than....1 or 2 MB of free space left according to ImgBurn's "free space bar" at the bottom of the screen.

I've always been cautious about doing that. Also, it seems ImgBurn got stuck one spot or another at the end of the burn. While I did get the "Operation Successfully Completed" message the program would not exit. And there was nothing in the log file showing any record of this burn from start to finish.

Anyway onto my questions:

1)Is it okay to keep adding files above the 99% full mark as long as it's still green at the bottom of the screen?

2) Does ImgBurn flush the log periodically during burns to prevent my scenario above, i.e., not one log entry for this 99.99% successful burn?

3) How did WinHex spot those 18 "UNREADABLESECTOR"'s almost instantly? Is a backup TOC stored at the end of a BD-R, that is at the outermost sectors? I've read that some BD disc formats do that and I was curious if that's how it recognized those bad sectors so fast.

Thanks for reading!

*****Edited after 6 views*****: I did possibly have an image mounted using WinCDEmu. That probably should have been closed.

Edited by AlbertEinstein

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.