Burning file or folder to DVD

Blueie

Hello

I have created a MP4 file in Adobe Premier Elements in its own folder on my desktop.

Premier Elements automatically creates other folders (Encoded Files, Layouts) in that same folder.

When I then launch ImgBurn to burn the MP4 file to a DVD, in ImgBurn do I then select the whole folder with the MP4 file and its associated folders, or do I select the MP4 file only. 

Thank you.

Blueie

If you burn the MP4, that's all you'll end up with on the disc.

So unless your player can play raw MP4 files, you might want to consider exporting it in or converting to DVD / BD video format.

If you do just want the MP4 on the disc, just burn that. If you burn the folders too, you'll only possibly have more navigating to do in order to find it and those other folders serve no purpose for playback.

Hello Lightening

Thanks for your reply.

I realise that now! No, I wanted a DVD that would play on a TV DVD player and so I have now saved it as a DVD and burnt it onto a disk via ImgBurn.

This is what my disk now looks like inside (attached).

Does that look about right to you?

Many thanks again.

Blueie

post-52678-0-95587700-1485535513_thumb.jpg

I would guess the OpenDVD one is probably just some kind of internal note about what created the VIDEO_TS folder.  I know when I build VIDEO_TS DVD's, I generally put some kind of folder structure in the root directory that tells what its contents are.  In case I can't tell the contents based on its Labels, or if the label fields aren't displayed, because of Windows/File Explorer, the folder structure offers a bit more insight.

Thanks dbminter

Two folders, OpenDVD and VIDEO_TS, are the only folders that I can see in the original DVD folder before the burning process. There is no AUDIO_TS folder - I assume that is created during the burning process?

When I open that OpenDVD folder, just to see what's inside, I can see a Untitled.dvd Disc Image file, a PVM file called opendvd.pvm, an HTML file called ClickMe.htm. Alongside these, is a folder called Sources and in that folder there is another called VTS_01_1_VOB.

Thanks for your reply.

AUDIO_TS will be added by ImgBurn if you add only a VIDEO_TS.  According to the DVD Video standard, a disc must contain an AUDIO_TS and a VIDEO_TS folder.  However, EVERY single DVD Video I've ever seen since 2002 has had an empty AUDIO_TS folder.  Apparently, AUDIO_TS is for some weirdly authored types of discs where extra audio streams are placed there.  Personally, I've NEVER seen a use for AUDIO_TS.

I'd be curious to see what the ClickMe file loads in your web browser.  The VOB file is a video object file, a container file that has both the audio and video streams to be played.  You could try loading the .VOB file in something like Windows Media Player, if your version of Windows supports it, or something like Media Player Classic Home Cinema.  Just to see if it's temporary work files left over that would be copies of what is in VIDEO_TS.  .DVD is not a disc image, but it's used by programs to write disc image files or to load them as virtual drives.  Or it could be OpenDVD is using its own .DVD file extension for something else.  PVM is also probably some kind of proprietary file used by OpenDVD.

ClickMe is a legal note in several languages. In my case, it says:

This DVD was created using Adobe Premiere Elements, portions of which utilize AuthorScript® under license from Sonic Solutions.

The files that describe the contents of this disc ("descriptive files"), which are recorded on this disc in the OpenDVD directory, contain proprietary and/or copyrighted material of Sonic Solutions. Please note that these files are protected by technological measures designed to prevent unauthorized access to them and are subject to the terms of the ~application~  Software License Agreement, including, without limitation, the restriction against modification in Section 4.2.

When I open that VOB file, it points to VTS_01_1_VOB.ses (I wouldn't know what a SES file is: never heard of it).

I assume that the audio part of a DVD movie - added soundtracks, the audio itself, added narration/commentary - are actually included in the VIDEO-TS folder?

.SES would appear to be a proprietary file generated by Adobe/Sonic.  The last time I created a Sonic disc, over 10 years ago, had noting other than AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS.  So, that OpenDVD appears to be stuff just added by Premiere Elements.  However, why a .VOB is linking to a .SES and how it actually does that I couldn't say.  So, the OpenDVD does appear to just be "notes" added by Premiere Elements to show what created the DVD.  To apply the appropriate "copyright" legalese.

Yes, the audio tracks of a DVD are contained in the VOB, the video object.  All the VOB's are contained in VIDEO_TS.  Then again, there's the supposedly useful yet useless AUDIO_TS that can contain audio tracks.  My guess was this was created at the start of the DVD Video standard before it was discovered it was simply easier to contain the audio streams with the video streams in the VOB's.

AUDIO_TS is a part of DVD standard. It has no use for DVD-Video. In rare occasions older standalone players will not play a disc that nas no AUDIO_TS folder in the structure. So it is better to have it there for playability compliance.

AUDIO_TS was designed to accomodate the DVD-Audio files to deliver the high-fidelity audio content in DVD format. DVD-Audio is capable of delivering significant benefits over standard CD Digital Audio, not just in sound quality, but also in the delivery of additional bonus material and video clips.

Obviously DVD-Video uses VIDEO_TS folder to store its files. AUDIO_TS would store the files for DVD-Audio.

As the DVD-Audio format didn't caught to the large public there are not that many DVD-Audio discs released. At present, the DVD-Audio catalog includes several thousand titles ranging from Bach to Beethoven, Eric Clapton to Seal, Beatles to Queen... covering all sort of music genres, from classical concerts to rock, pop, jazz, etc.

Not all standalone DVD players are capable of playing them as the manufacturers didn't bother to read the format due to the scarce public adoption.

DVD-Audio has been described as "extinct" by 2007 as per Wikipedia

Ah, so AUDIO_TS was basically only ever for DVD Audio.

I never liked DVD Audio.  The primary drawback, near as I can remember from trying to make a few, was the audio tracks were actually "menus" that were playing.  They weren't actually "video objects," although the motion menus ARE contained in the VOB's.  So, the big negative was you couldn't navigate through the audio.  You could only skip back to the beginning or skip to the end and stop playback.  Anyway, that's as near as I remember.  You couldn't Forward, Rewind, or Pause the audio.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.