Blu-ray writer Samsung won't write BD-R!

clau_logo

Hi guys,

I'm new arround here, my first day in but i have a problem, that is messing up with my nervs.

So i have i Blu-ray writer Samsung SN-506BB/BEBE on an enclosure with usb 2.0, as I use it externaly.

The thing is that when I bought this unit, it worked great without any problems, but in this week I wanted to burn some Blu-ray disks in order to get some new room in my laptop but I didn't managed to do this.

The device is showing me the following errors:

1. Power calibration error (tried with Imgburn software, Nero and Ashampoo Burning studio and the same error)

2. Can't find the media to write.

3. Device not connected.

4. Write error

5. Session fixation error.

In the first place I used only Traxdata disks BD-R but I thought they were not ok and bought some new BD-R disks: Verbatim, Omega, Maxwell, even some disks BD-RE and I still get this errors.With the BD-RE disk it even can't format it, it's only spinning the disk and doesn't do anything.

I asked a friend of mine to come with his laptop in order to try to burn some BD-R and when it was at 84% it showed the same error.

The thing is that the drive burns cds and dvds but won't burn BDs.

I've tried many things even to supply the unit from a power supply or to change the data connection from usb 2.0 to 3.0 but no luck.

I want to kindly ask you, what do you think or what I should do in order to write Blu-ray disks again?

Thank you guys!

Had this drive worked before in the enclosure?  Have you ever used it internally and it worked?  How old is it?  Usually when drives die, they will fail to write to one particular media but write fine to others.  In the days of DVD writers, it usually failed to write to DL media but was fine on others when it died.  In the BD writer era, it wasn't uncommon for BD to fail first and other media to write fine.

The issue is most likely one of two things.  Either your enclosure is the problem or the drive is the problem.  Since you said, I think, you had someone bring their laptop and try the drive on that and it still failed, then you know the issue is not your PC or USB connections.  So, that means it would be either the drive, enclosure, or media.  However, you said you tried different brands of media, including Verbatim, which if it was VERBATIM Disc ID and it wasn't Low To High, you can rule out the media being the problem.

I'd lean more towards the drive probably needing replacing.  Hence why I asked it's age.  Anywhere between 7 and 9 months of use is generally the life span of most optical drives.  However, can't yet rule out the enclosure has developed a problem.

Do you have any logs of failed burns you can post?  LUK might be able to ferret out something from the various error codes.

Hi,

Yes the device worked prefectly even in my old laptop and in the enclosure. Last year i've bought a new laptop and this one has the dvd unit a 9.5 mm slim type and the blu-ray unit is 12.7. I bought the blu-ray unit in february 2015 and it worked fine because i have bd disks that are readable with my unit. But the last blu-ray disk that i've burned was in november 2015 and till now the unit wasn't used for burning blu-ray disk just for reading them and burning cds or dvds.

I will try tomorrow to burn some blu-ray disks in order to save the logs and post them here.

Thank you for your answer and hope that tomorrow we will find out what is wrong with my unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by clau_logo

Since the last BD you burned was in November of 2015 and you've been using it primarily to read BD's since, it could be the drive has just worn out from reading.  Reading isn't as stressful on a drive as writing, but it does put wear on a drive.

Hi,

Just got home, put de blu-ray to write and here is the first error:

1. Device not connected.

I mention that on another usb I have an external hdd from with I've put the files in order to burn the bd disk.

I'll come back with the new error after the copying process of the files will be complet.

Thank you!

post-55977-0-28292200-1488817583_thumb.png

post-55977-0-18456800-1488817588_thumb.png

post-55977-0-20064200-1488817592_thumb.png

So here is the second error:

- Power calibration area error

I mention that in the unit is an Verbatim disk and the unit is connected on usb 2.0 with my laptop.

I'll give it a restart and after that I'll post the new error that I will have.

post-55977-0-95732700-1488818191_thumb.png

post-55977-0-71570300-1488818194_thumb.png

post-55977-0-67991700-1488818197_thumb.png

Never encountered that first error before.

You were getting a common error of semaphore timeout period expired in some of those logs.  That is because of a conflict between the USB bridge in the enclosure and the USB controller on your motherboard.  Unfortunately, the only cure is to replace the USB bridge or replace the mobo controller, which generally means replacing the mobo, or replace the enclosure.

However, what is odd is that you don't ALWAYS get a semaphore timeout issue.  What does appear to be going on is you're getting no actual writing done.  It craps out trying to write the first bits.

I was talking with a friend of mine in order to give me an usb 3.0 hub and to give me his laptop for one day, in order to try to solve this problem. I also think that the worst case scenario is that the enclosure is broken. Strange thing is that when i put the usb data cable on usb 3.0 it gave me the last error. I will try this ideeas in this week or maybe in the weekend and i will keep you informed.

Sorry LIGHTNING UK, i'll do that next time.

Thank you dbminter!

Hello guys!

After changing the enclosure, meaning that i used an adaptor for the optical unit with my hdd enclosure and a verbatim bd-r disk i managed to burn the disk with no errors and everything was fine. So thank you very much i'm pretty happy write now and hope to find and buy a good enclosure for my blu-ray writer unit.

Thank you guys very much!

Ps: fingers cross because i'm burning a Traxdata disk

On Traxdata at the end it gave me the error: Session Fixation Error. So i will go from now on only on Verbatim bd-r disks.

Edited by clau_logo

All the signs were pointing to the enclosure as being the most likely culprit.

Traxdata, yeah, isn't exactly high quality media.  So, crapping out on that isn't a surprise.  Especially since it worked on a Verbatim, which as long as it's not BD-RE, should be high quality media.  Verbatim does farm out to crap company CMC Magnetics for its BD-RE SL.

So i think the device is broken. After buying today 5 Verbatim bd-r disks and trying to use the device only on the adapter it seems that is broken. It gives me this error: writer error. So it's another pain in the ass because i need to buy another unit. Not even sell it and what is also strange is that i can use it only for burning cds and dvds. Thank you guys!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.