Another I/O error

MynameisMike

With my previous drive (NEC optiarc DVD writer) I experienced a lot of problems. Sometimes it would work perfectly fine, other times it made my whole system grind to a halt (unable to read disc, unable to close Imgburn, hard resetting the system). So I decided to replace the sata cable and drive. Now I have an LG BH16NS55 Blu Ray burner.

I use two type of media, YUDEN000-T02-00 and MCC-004-00. So far I had 30 succesfull burns, and 4 coasters (1 Verbatim and three Taiyo Yuden). The I/O error happens during the verification stage.

Since I already replaced the optical drive, I'm not ruling out a mainboard problem. Switching SATA port didn't help though. I'm perfectly happy to accept this is a drive issue, but I thought I run it by here to hear your thoughts. Replacing it and not solving the problem would be a shame. Thanks.

ImgBurn - Copy (2).log

Please don't enable I/O debug mode when posting logs unless asked to do so. It's a million times harder to actually see the problem and isn't required for the majority of issues.

Your drive just appears to have done a bad job of burning the disc and is then unable to read it back.

You'd have to PIPO scan the disc to check the quality of the burn and work out if it's bad in general or just a fluke bad bit. You'd then have to burn the same discs in a known good drive to see if it's a general disc issue or something specific to your drive. Basically, you'd need to narrow down where the problem is actually coming from.

Damn, one post and it's already obvious I have no idea what I'm doing. Sorry about that.

Would it help if I post a regular log when this error happens?

According to DVDinfoPro my drive is not suitable for PIPO scanning, but I can "load DIP - DIPX files to view them" (?).

I don't have another known good drive, but I do have copies of the same data that were burnt succesfully. Could they be used in a comparison of good and bad burn?

Can a disc issue be ruled out on the fact that the error happens with different media?

I'm not sure how to go forward now.

It's nice to have a collection of logs if you're getting issues with various discs, yes. We can quickly check it's the same sort of problem that way.

I'm afraid 'working' copies won't help in this situation, you really need to perform the disc quality / pipo scans to get an idea on the actual burn quality.

A new scanning drive (basic liteon ihas124) for scanning DVDs would set you back about £15 here in the UK.

The fact you're having issues with different media isn't a great sign. I wouldn't expect a new drive to have trouble burning to Verbatim MCC-004-00 media. Have you tried burning at the various 'supported' write speeds? Are the spindles of discs you've got old or new? If you've had them sitting around for years, that could potentially cause a problem - although it shouldn't normally.

• 3 weeks later...

Well the discs are actually pretty old. The Taiyo Yuden are 4 years old, the Verbatims 1,5. I think I will just use what I have, maybe experiment with the write speed and then see if the problem persists with new discs.

If I were to buy a scanning drive, what is your recommendation for a drive to scan Blu-ray discs too?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.