Can't burn .bin file

Mr Mysterious

Yeah, I was going to ask why you're burning it to a DVD?  If it's a data DVD, then I can see choosing to go that way because DVD burns faster and your PC won't care.  If it's a music CD, and since you've got a BIN file, that would be most likely, but you'd need a CUE file to go with it.  If it's a music CD, you'd need to burn it to a CD-R in order for a player to recognize it.

You could try the Create CUE File option under Tools and see if that creates a burnable file set with a CUE file.  However, you really shouldn't have to do that and I can't really see it helping in this case.  Most likely, the BIN file contents are probably corrupt or are not a BIN file to begin with.  The file got renamed as a BIN, maybe. 

How big is this BIN file?

So, it is a data disc, not a music CD.  It's odd they'd make it a BIN file.  But, you can't help their F up.

First thing I'd try, since it's not a music CD, is not to create a CUE file on your own as I originally suggested.  Create an MDS File instead under Tools.  MDS supports BIN.  Then, try loading the MDS file in Write mode.  Use a rewritable disc in case it doesn't work.  That way, you haven't wasted a disc you can't use.

If that doesn't work, then, you could try installing virtual drive software like Virtual CloneDrive.  Try mounting the MDS file as a virtual drive and see if you can access the contents from the virtual drive.  Then just copy the contents.

Can you provide a link to the actual BIN file you downloaded from that page?  The page you forwarded needs to know a string from your router brand name to download the proper firmware file, so the site as given isn't much help to me.  With the actual BIN file to examine, maybe I can determine something or at least put the contents of the BIN or a converted BIN file to another format for you on my OneDrive account.

Ah, I never thought it may be a simple binary file itself.  That the firmware itself is called a .BIN read by the router.

Yeah, don't try burning it to a disc at all unless the router itself is looking for the file from a disc and doesn't ask you for a location of the file.

I had originally grabbed a DVD by mistake. No harm or foul there. I had thought that this router program had to be on a disc like an ISO file does. Not have used a .bin file before, I'm a bit stumped on how to use it altogether. Trying to install said firmware program on a Linksys E2000 router. Here is the link to the file. If it doesn't take you directly to the files to download, put in Linksys E2000 for the router if need be. (http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/support/router-database)

I realise this isn't a general tech support for third party programs, so thanks again for all the help this far. If you could direct me in how to program the router with this .bin file, I would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again....

Which .BIN did you get?  There are 6. 

So, I just snagged the first one, "E2000 v1 Firmware - Webflash image for first installation."  It is most likely not a disc image file.  UltraISO doesn't recognize it as a supported image/bin file type either.  So, it's just some kind of giant .BIN file.  These guys are apparently idiots.  They will also name their firmware files .IMG, making you think they're image floppy file formats.

I did some digging, and these appear to be the steps to use to update that router with the .BIN file.

https://www.linksys.com/us/support-article?articleNum=132961

Of course, I can take no responsibility for success or failure of this procedure, so do so at your own risk.

Turns out that both Google Chrome and Firefox both fail the install. Downloaded and installed the TFTP program. Looks as if its a command line program in which I'm not a command line kind of guy.  Takes me back to the DOS days... lol. The file I downloaded is the dd-wrt.v24-21061_NEWD-2_K2.6_openvpn-nv60k.bin.

If you can't cope with the command line version of TFTP, try googling 'TFTP GUI' or similar.

I just did and found these pretty quickly...

http://tftpd32.jounin.net/tftpd32.html

https://sourceforge.net/projects/tftputil/

Also, if you wanted to try the actual linksys method, use their TFTP version of the instructions. The update method built into their web interface probably won't see your dd-wrt file as a valid firmware file. It is a 3rd party firmware after all.

https://www.linksys.com/us/support-article?articleNum=137928

Ah, I actually miss the days of DOS.  I preferred things back when you had an argument based option for running things.  It was also easier to fix Windows applications errors by just deleting an INI file.  No 10,000 Registry keys stored in 100,000 different locations.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.