wont burn

growlski

Sorry, I'm not sure I follow you?

My reply contained a link to where you can download the newer XL07 firmware for your LG GGW-H20N burner. That's the only one you have.

Also, drivers and firmware are 2 different things. You don't need to worry about drivers for optical drives, they're built into windows and never need to be touched.

Well, in this case, given the age of Windows 7 and the burner is probably much newer than Windows 7, maybe a driver might be needed?  I know that was the case for my ancient 11 year old printer.  There weren't 64 bit drivers for it when I finally moved to a 64 bit machine, so I had to finally get rid of it.  Maybe optical burners are different and drivers aren't necessary except for generic ones that support generic hardware?

Go to Help --> ImgBurn logs, open the log file, find the entry in the log for one of these Check Condition error burns, and copy and paste that part of the log into a post.  That may provide a little more helpful information.

However, my guess, given that screen shot you posted, your problem is the cheap media you're using.  CMC MAG makes the absolutely worst recordable media out there.  50% of the problems we see here are caused by CMC MAG media and most of those problems go away when they don't use CMC MAG and use Verbatim DataLife Plus media.

Also, why are you burning 2 GB to a BD-R instead of a DVD?  CMCMAG-BA5-000 is BD media, so you're wasting 23 GB of available space burning the 2 GB image in the screen shot to a BD.  Plus, if it's a VIDEO_TS DVD Video ISO, burning it to a BD won't play as a DVD in a standalone Blu-Ray player.  Only on a PC.

It's not DVD it's 1920x1080, I could put it on a DVD but I thought a Blu-Ray disc is maybe more scratchproof? Shall I try burning it to a DVD?

It seems unlikely a Blu-Ray Video disc would be just 2 GB.  Unless you made it yourself.  Did you create it?  If so, did you add a VIDEO_TS folder to the ISO?  If so, that's a DVD Video disc.  If it's a DVD Video disc, you have to burn it to a DVD in order to get a standalone player to recognize it.  Blu-Ray is more scratch resistant (They're not scratch proof.  Take a pair of scissors to them and see if they resist scratches.) but if you put VIDEO_TS to a BD disc, you can only get it to play in a software player on a PC.

Unless the ISO just contains a container file in 1920x1080.  A 2 GB container file might explain that.  If that's the case, then burning to a BD might have its advantages.  A standalone Blu-Ray player that supports reading that container file type from BD discs would work and you'd get the scratch resistance you want.

You could try burning it to a DVD.  If it's not a CMC MAG DVD, it would help isolate if your problem is caused by CMC MAG BD.  However, you may end up "wasting" a disc.  If it is Blu-Ray Video content, then a standalone Blu-Ray player won't play it either.  Blu-Ray players check the physical type of media inserted to decide what format to play.  Blame stupid Sony for this. 

So, it probably wasn't a Blu-Ray Video ISO to begin with, but a DVD Video one.  Unless it was a container file that plays on a standalone Blu-Ray player.

As I said, most of the problems we see here are caused by CMC Magnetics media.  When people switch from them, their problems generally go away.  Not always, but usually.

If you ever find you need BD-R's in the future, get Verbatim.  Don't get Verbatim BD-RE, though.  Verbatim farms out their BD-RE to CMC Magnetics.  They used to make their own, but not anymore.  Their BD-RE DL are quality, though.

I've never heard of Maplin before, so it doesn't surprise me that they're cheap discs.  Then again, I live in the United States, so maybe in England, Maplin is a known quantity.

Maplin is a chain of stores in England.

One more question: when the disc plays the motion is sometimes jerky. In the specs for my burner it says it wont handle more than 30 Mbps, and I exported the project from Adobe Encore at 40 Mbps. Is this the reason?

Ah, that probably explains it.  In brick and mortar stores, even the good stuff, like Verbatim, is the CMC cheap stuff.  Except for BD-R, interestingly enough.  Verbatim BD-R sold in brick and mortar stores is still quality stuff.

When you say the specs for your burner are under 30 Mbps, what exactly are you talking about?  If read speed, then it might be a problem, but I doubt that's your issue.  What would happen is your drive would cache data from the disc more often. 

Does this jerky motion occur on a standalone DVD player?  Also, is the audio "jerky?"  If both audio and video are jerky, then it's probably the disc you used.  The player doesn't like reading that kind of manufacturer's media.  Or your burner didn't burn to that kind of media very well, even though the burn completed.  If it's just jerky video, then it's probably the result of how the video was authored to begin with.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.