"Semaphore time period has expired".

PeterGiovani

Have been using ImgBurn for years...No hardware changes...No software changes.

As of two days ago, neither of my 2 internal blue ray drives will complete a full burn.

About 50% through I receive "Semaphore time period has expired".

4x burn as I always have.

Same media as always - Verbatim br.

Data is from my D drive...Can bad sectors cause semaphore errors?

Edited by PeterGiovani

Yeah, I was going to post the same thing when I read this post earlier today.

Normally, semaphore time out expiration errors are from USB external burners.  It's caused by a conflict between the USB bridge in the external enclosure and the controller on your PC's motherboard.  I don't think I've ever seen it on an internal SATA connected drive before, either.

I, too, was going to request the log, but I didn't post because I thought the log probably wouldn't help.  That it would just say the semaphore timeout period expired with no other pertinent data.  I was waiting for LUK to post to see about enabling Debug mode first before posting a log.  To post a log with the Debug mode enabled.

Here is what it turned out to be:

I was burning a folder full of video files. ImgBurn keep giving semaphore timeout error on one specific file. I removed that file, tried to burn, got the error on another file. So I decided that it couldn't be the files.

But, I ended up trying to move the entire folder from the original D drive (internal), to my P drive (external), and I received the same semaphore timeout error, on both of the files in question.

I deleted both files, and have been able to successfully use ImgBurn to complete the burn of the folder.

Not sure what was wrong with the files, but they were the issue.

I still find it odd the issue occurred in the first place on an SATA connected device.  I've only ever seen semaphore timeout errors when trying to burn to USB drives.  And always with writes, not reads. 

Personally, I'm rather surprised the issue went away. 

Experience would dictate the problem may have been a bad sector on the HDD.  So, next time data is written to that area, you might experience the issue again.

However, the way I see it, as long you can find a solution that works, you go with it and be grateful.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.