ImgBurn Support Forum uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

Photo

Corrupted data on a BD-R DL Verbatim disc (right where the 2nd layer starts?) - "Timeout on Logical Unit"

Forum Rules

Read the Guides forum if you don't know how to do something. :readbook:
If you have a question or a problem, check the FAQ and use the Search to see if you can find the answer for yourself. :lightbulb:
If you're having trouble burning double layer media, read Here.
Still stuck? Create a new thread and describe your issue in detail.
Make sure you include a copy of the program's log in your post. No log = :chair:

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 kamild1996

kamild1996

ISF Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 08:16 AM

First time trying to record a BD-R DL disc, and it seems like the disc failed to record properly. As seen in the log, the first bad sector is 12219488, which is apparently where the second layer starts.
The disc I'm using is a Verbatim one (#43747), recording at the 6x speed, as advised on the box. The only setting I recall changing is the file system (UDF 2.50). I doubt it would be a poor quality disc, could it really be an issue with the drive? It's updated to the latest firmware version. The same drive was capable of recording single-layer Blu-ray discs just fine (although I didn't use ImgBurn for it).
The problematic file is slightly over 40 GB in size. Do you think slicing the file into smaller bits would help? Or maybe changing some other setting in ImgBurn?

Log (I redacted some paths and names, hopefully shouldn't be a problem):
Spoiler

PS: The thread about problems with writing DL media seems to be talking about DVD's, not BD's. Is it exactly the same then (in terms of bad disc brands, for example)?

Edited by kamild1996, 19 October 2017 - 09:19 AM.

#2 kamild1996

kamild1996

ISF Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 10:06 AM

Two more things:

• doesn't seem like the entire file is unreadable after the 12219488 sector - thanks to the Sector Viewer, I found out only the sectors in the range of 12219488 - 12221823 are damaged, data after the last sector in that range is readable
    actually, while the file isn't 100% damaged, it actually seems to be broken in chunks - some sector ranges are readable, some others are not...
  • after running the disc verification for a bit longer, yet another error started appearing: "L-EC Uncorrectable Error"; mixed with the "Timeout" message, I put the verification log in the spoiler below if that's any helpful.
Spoiler

Edited by kamild1996, 19 October 2017 - 10:08 AM.

#3 dbminter

dbminter

ISF God

• Beta Team Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,504 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 04:56 PM

It's probably the LG BH16NS40's fault.  That's an older model of LG's BD drive, I think.  Mine was like last updated 2 years ago and it's the WH16NS40, which is the current model.  However, I think it's just that LG BD drives are terrible at writing DL media.  I've never written a BD-R DL with this drive, but I have tried several BD-RE DL's.  I used Verbatim's quality ones, too, and tried both writing images and writing the discs as giant floppies formatted in Windows Explorer.  The image burns fail Verifies more often than pass when my Pioneer writes the same images to the same discs fine.  And the files written to the formatted BD-RE DL completed writes, but the file contents were corrupt on the discs!  :angry:

So, I think the bottom line is though LG BD drives support writing to BD DL media, it doesn't do it anywhere near well.  I don't use my LG for writing BD-RE DL.  Just my Pioneer.  Thus, I'd try replacing your older LG with a Pioneer BD drive.  Your LG BD seems to be older than mine, so its firmware and hardware would definitely, most likely, have more trouble burning any BD media type that was created after the drive was made/the firmware was last updated for it.

BTW, I also think when my burns failed to BD-RE DL, it failed at the layer change.  With multiple layer media, any failure you're going to encounter, burn or Verify, will generally occur around the layer change.  Either just before, at, or just after the layer change.

Edited by dbminter, 19 October 2017 - 05:50 PM.

#4 kamild1996

kamild1996

ISF Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 06:53 AM

Since the situation was quite urgent (but I also haven't had many spare discs, these aren't easy to buy locally around here either), I've tried burning yet another disc, this time slicing the huge file into 16GB chunks. Seems like this could have worked because the disc was burned successfully and verification process returned no errors. That, or the first disc I've tried to burn was defective...

Anyway, thank you for your input, if this drive happens to cause any more consistent issues with burning DL discs, I may consider replacing it. You're recommending Pioneer, do you have any particular model in mind? Would BDR-209DBK work fine, or should I spent slightly more on a, say, BDR-S09XLT for example?

#5 LIGHTNING UK!

LIGHTNING UK!

Author of ImgBurn

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,277 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 07:29 AM

The size of the file won't matter. Glad the next disc you tried burnt successfully though.
Please don't PM me with questions that should be posted in the forum. I won't reply - Especially if you have post count of 0!!!

Replies to posts belong in the forum where everyone can read them. Please don't PM them.

In fact, don't PM me at all unless it's something I've asked to be told about!

Before asking questions, search the forum to see if someone else already has.

Use the FAQ and Guides forums to your advantage. I don't want to have to tell you to read them!

#6 dbminter

dbminter

ISF God

• Beta Team Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,504 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 03:45 PM

Yeah, I agree with LUK.  Splitting the image wouldn't have made any difference.  It may have been just a bad blank in the box, like you said.  It happens.  I came across a bad DVD+R DL recently.  My 2nd attempt to burn it and all subsequent DVD+R DL have burned fine.

BTW, as a general rule of thumb, I try burning a failed image burn 3 times in a row to see if it's just a bad blank disc or not.  After 3 discs, I'm relatively sure it's probably not the discs, unless it's a brand new stack/manufacture.  After 3 fails in a row, I'm more inclined to blame the drive for the problem.  Or could be a problem with the image.  It happens, but rarely.

As for the Pioneer BD I have, mine is the BDR-209M, aka the BDR-2209.  The only difference between mine and the BDR-209DBK is mine supports writing to BD XL media and M-Disc media.  If you never intend on writing to either of these types of discs, you can save a little money and go for the BDR-209. 

I've never heard of the BDR-S09XLT, so, I looked it up.  It seems to be an older Pioneer model.  I've heard of the BDR-S08XLT, but that's older than the 2209.  It seems the XLT was an older generation of the 2209.  Pioneer's website only lists they manufacture the 209 models.  There are no XLT's anymore.  You can still find XLT's online, but most of the prices I've seen are near $200, except for $90 from Groove Inc.  However, the 2209 will also run you $90, so you're better off buying the newer drive.  It's firmware was last updated a year ago whereas the BDR-S08XLT firmware was last updated 4 years ago. 

Now, there is a newer Pioneer BD model out there.  It's a 4K Blu-Ray drive.  However, there's no firmware update for it yet so it's so new it may be TOO new to recommend.  Plus, it's nearly $25 more than the 2209.  If you never intend on viewing 4K Blu-Ray, then there's probably no real need to get that one.

Edited by dbminter, 20 October 2017 - 08:06 PM.

#7 kamild1996

kamild1996

ISF Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 01:31 PM

After burning a few more Blu-Rays, it turns out the file size was indeed not a problem, since I've tried to burn the same set of data (which has burned successfully earlier), and the recording failed. Horrible balance today overall, out of 4 discs, 3 have failed the verification process (incl. 2 from a different box), all near the beginning of the second layer. I'm starting to doubt there would have been so many faulty blanks in these packages, and I'm about to blame the drive. Need some more testing before I do that though - maybe including testing with a different program...

Until then - thank you :) Will post again if I test the drive for a bit more time.

#8 LIGHTNING UK!

LIGHTNING UK!

Author of ImgBurn

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,277 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 02:47 PM

You might like to try enabling the 'perform opc before write' option in the settings. It may or may not make a difference.
Please don't PM me with questions that should be posted in the forum. I won't reply - Especially if you have post count of 0!!!

Replies to posts belong in the forum where everyone can read them. Please don't PM them.

In fact, don't PM me at all unless it's something I've asked to be told about!

Before asking questions, search the forum to see if someone else already has.

Use the FAQ and Guides forums to your advantage. I don't want to have to tell you to read them!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users