burning BDMV folders to dvd-r

billyboy 123

Sure it can, to imgburn it's all just data. What matters is if you'll use the proper UDF type and if your player supports 'bd5/bd9' type discs. Although it's burnt to a DVD, due to the bdmv structure is classed as a Blu-ray. Not all players support those, especially not if the menu is Java based.

Sent from my Nexus 6P with Tapatalk

And your Blu-Ray player probably won't play the BDMV folder off of the DVD-5/DVD-9 you burn it to if you just insert the disc and expect it to automatically start playing.  Your player might load the contents if its navigation software supports reading that file type from a disc.  However, I do know you can't take a VIDEO_TS and put it on a BD disc and get a Sony Playstation 3 to play it.  PS 4 probably doesn't do it either.  I'd suspect it's probably the same across all players since Sony helped design Blu-Ray, didn't they?  :unsure:  So, you probably can't pop in the DVD with a BDMV folder on it and expect the player to recognize the inserted disc and play it as a Blu-Ray movie.  However, your player's navigator might support loading it as a "file" from the disc.

What you can do is use something VSO Blu-Ray Converter or maybe ConvertXToHD/DVD to convert the BDMV contents to a DVD.  Of course, you'll lose all menus and it will be standard DVD definition instead of Blu-Ray high definition.  But that should, at least, "guarantee" DVD playback of a Blu-Ray BDMV contents.

You're saying the opposite mate. He's not burning a DVD folder on a BD, but a bdmv (Blu-ray) folder on a DVD. That constitutes a bd5/9 which is a valid format but not all players support it'

Sent from my Nexus 6P with Tapatalk

Yeah, I knew that was what he was saying.  :)  I was just guessing that since it didn't work for VIDEO_TS DVD-9 contents put on a BD-RE, it wouldn't work the other way, too.  Now I know it doesn't work both ways.  :wink:  I'll probably forget it in the future, though.  :lol:

Also, you will probably not encounter a lot of Blu-Ray movie discs with contents on them that will fit on a DVD-9.  Especially a DVD-5.  Could one use CloneBD to shrink a BDMV contents to a size that fits on DVD-9?  Does that software even compress BDMV, even from, say, a BD-50 to a BD-25?  :unknown:

Yes it can, but pretty sure in that case only 'movie-only'. As the size reduction needed is too big for a full disc copy to DVD. Think about it, a full BD50 can be 45gb even to a bd9 that's 8.5gb that's a 5x reduction. You need to calculate in the video, audio, subtitles, bitrate restrictions... I'd have try it but I have no need for that method. The best option for that would be movie only with 1 audio track, subtitles (even if you keep all of them) don't need a lot of space

BD50 to BD25 is simple. That's no more complicated than CloneDVD dvd9 to dvd5. CloneBD is the Blu-ray equivalent of CloneDVD2 and CloneDVD Mobile (Avi,MP4,mkv...) combined into a single product. Feel free to try it out :-)

Sent from my Nexus 7 with Tapatalk

Edited by Ch3vr0n

I may have to someday.  It's been like almost 15 years since DVDShrink was last updated before its developer moved it exclusively to a Nero version application.  I have to guess, at some point, the software will simply stop loading on modern PC's one day.  I worry that DVDReMake will do likewise as it's been almost 10 years since that was last updated.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.