ImgBurn 2.5.8.0 and Windows Server 2016 Essentials

I Know Things

Hi guys,

I've been testing Server 2016 Essentials on one of my spare computers. It is just a workstation running server 2016 Essentials. It isn't configured as a domain controller or dhcp server.

Unfortunately I can't seem to find the permissions I need to change in Server 2016 Essentials to get ImgBurn 2.5.8.0 working in a standard user account. I keep getting the error: "You need Administrative privileges to use SPTI". When I right-click and run ImgBurn as administrator it works fine of course.

I looked all over the net and tried enabling and disabling every combination of the following GPOs but none of them made a difference:

1. Devices: Restrict CD-ROM access to locally logged-on user only  (AllocateCDRoms)
2. Devices: Allowed to format and eject removable media                  (AllocateDASD)
3. CD and DVD: Deny read access
4. CD and DVD: Deny write access

In Windows 10 Pro, ImgBurn works perfectly in a standard user. No need for administrative permissions or GPOs.

Does anyone have any idea what is different with Server 2016 Essentials vs Windows 10 Pro that I need to configure?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.