burning a DL video image: how do I pick a layer break (IB did not select 1)?

idic5

I am burning a DL image from files/folders fro a video disc, and for whatever reason, no entry is highlighted by imgburn as a suggested layer break , On what basis do I pick an entry? they are all rated as 'average'.

BIGGER ISSUE-- I found that about 50 pct or more I get freezes at around the halfway point in thte disk, presumably at this seam or layer break. I cannot figure out what are the relevant factors for this 

*media quality ? I get this in both verbatim life series and their next one up in quality; i only use verbatims

*how the image was created in the video editor...did I write it out after completely rendering it or not ( using pinnacle studio 20)

post-52281-0-05483700-1513967593_thumb.jpg

Edited by idic5

this disc is 1:56 mins (literally 1:55:46:40) = 116 mins. So half way wd be @ 58 mins. But when I look at the display from IB above, @58 has a value of 1 for padding and 51/49 pct. The other entries above this are 50/50.

What does this mean , a value of 1 for padding? Is it the amt of area in the cell before and after this particular displacement ? do we want more or less padding?

btw, my discs are usually 90/96+ pct full of data. do I pick an entry with more or less padding? what is padding anyway? is picking a proper layer break in a DL image a way to reduce freezing at this point?

googling , found this from 2010...

"Here's a direct quote from ImgBurn's author.

"The coloured stars will give you an idea of the best place (technically speaking) for the layer break position, but just remember, you're the only one that knows what's going to work best for your movie."

'There is no automatic way of choosing the perfect layer break position and all of the options are technically valid so the user has to select where they personally think is best based on the content of the cells.

'When you select a layer break position you are better going for one that doesn't have fast action on either side as this will accentuate the pause."

wow.. so the amt of movement where the layer break is ( less is better) is a (the?)  factor ... one question is : how MUCH time + or - around this layer break must not be fast movement?

https://club.myce.com/t/choosing-the-correct-layer-break-position-in-imgburn/288093

what i am recording is stage plays for kids theatre and many timeds there is dark  when the curtains close... so if I pick a time where there is a dark no action curtain clising, this might reduce freezes? but how much before and after this dark moment needs to be more stil. in movment? after teh all, teh curtains will be moving.... video , gang it all, is all about motion

Edited by idic5

If they all say Average, just pick one.  It doesn't really matter where the layer break goes unless you don't have seamless layer breaks.  Because depending on where the layer break goes, if it's not seamless, you'll get a pause in the playback.  And if there's dialogue there, the audio will pause.

Don't use Verbatim Life Series.  They're CMC Magnetics, which is junk media.  The only reliable DVD+R DL media (I'm guessing you're using DVD+R DL?) is Verbatim's DataLifePlus, which you can only find online.  When you say you used the next quality up of Verbatim, what exactly does that mean?  If they're not DataLifePlus MKM media, then it will probably still not be good.

The pauses at the layer break are caused by layer break pauses.  :)  When you set the layer break, choose Seamless Layer Break.  Now, sometimes, leftover layer break pauses are in the video.  Or added by the authoring software that made the VIDEO_TS.  I learned this the hard way.  10 years ago, I burned a bunch of them, not knowing about seamless layer breaks.  Had to burn about 20 or so all over again without layer break pauses.

If after setting Seamless Layer Breaks you still get pauses at the layer break, you can use DVDShrink to get rid of the layer breaks.  Doesn't always work, though, and you need to resort to IFOEdit.  However, if you don't know what you're doing, you shouldn't mess around with IFOEdit to remove layer breaks.  Believe it or not, some layer breaks are necessary.  For instance, there's apparently a layer break pause at the end of every video stream, if IFOEdit is to be believed.

In the list of layer break positions, if you're offered to add a layer break at a .BUP file, I recommend choosing that.  Barring that, choosing an .IFO file for the layer break.  Generally, more often than not, you're only offered .VOB files in the list.

thanks.  yes, I am using +R DL discs w/ projects about 1:55 ish. My problem is not having a pause at the break, but screen break up  and freezing at (around) this point. Can an (improper ) layer break assignment in a DL disc cause freezing and screen break up -- that is pixelating looking splotches of platches . 

Oh, I see what you're saying.  You're getting skips, pauses, hisses, and pops at the layer break change.  And, most likely, regardless of where you set the layer break, it happens?  That's because you're probably using cheap DVD+R DL discs.  Pixelation and freezes at the layer change are generally the result of using cheap discs.  Try the DataLifePlus Verbatim MKM DVD+R DL I mentioned.  You're probably using the Verbatim Life Series DVD+R DL?  Those will be CMC Magnetics, the bottom of the barrel disc manufacturer.

Now, if you are using the good stuff, then the cause is generally a write problem.  Either your drive doesn't like those kinds of Verbatim or the drive has reached the end of its life and needs replacing.

A log of one of these DVD+R DL burns would help.

i am using verb life series and the azo coated one ( 'next step up')

http://www.microcenter.com/product/360679/dvdr_dl_8x_85gb-240_minute_disc_50-pack_spindle

so no brick and mortar store has thsese more reliable ones? I need them sooner than later for this project, but it is dang good info going forward. thanks

btw, on the occasional ones that do not freeze, I DO notice that slight pause, and the preview function in IB was invalluableas I picked it precisely becauee it was on curtain change , so the pause was no bug whup

I googled  and came up w/ this ... is this it? I notice they are hub/inkjet printable ... do I need a special printer to label thedse or can I put stickers on them?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DT6OWFG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

i notice that this link says it is made in the UAE. how do you kow they are mkm sourced?

Edited by idic5

Hm, near as I can recall, the AZO discs are MKM discs, the good stuff.  As LUK said, use ImgBurn to copy and paste the MID/DID so we can see.  The MID/DID tells you, generally, who manufactured them.  MKM means they were made by Mitsubishi, the best manufacturer out there.  Now, MID/DID can be faked, of course.  And I'm surprised a low company like CMC doesn't do it to avoid putting their fingerprints on their crap media.

You will need special printers to print labels to inkjet label surfaces.  I don't have one, but I do use those kinds of DVD+R DL from Verbatim in case I ever do get one in the future.  In fact, according to the info I get in the link you sent me, I just ordered some in September.  You can still use those discs in any burner, but if you don't really have an ability to print the labels, you can save money by not buying the more expensive ones for that reason.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.