BDXL not burning - I/O error given

johnsmith123

Recently I ordered some TDK BDXL discs from eBay. So far I have attempted to burn two of them and they gave exactly the same error, shown here.

Sorry this isn't the program log, but it appears to be saying that there is a fault with the disc. The strange thing is that the burning appears to have failed at exactly the same sectors on both occasions. I have previously burned a Verbatim BDXL disc without any problems using ImgBurn and the same disc burner, which is a LG BE14NU40. I trust ImgBurn and this disc burner as they rarely foul up, but wondered if the problem might be compatibility with the TDK discs. Given the cost of the BDXL discs I don't want to go round in circles getting the same error message, so can I ask for a theory on what is happening here? Is the disc faulty or is it something else? Thanks.

Link to burner and screenshot:

http://www.lg.com/us/burners-drives/lg-BE14NU40-external-blu-ray-dvd-drive

http://www.picpaste.com/bdxl_error-PiYMK8tg.PNG

post-56895-0-92420800-1514382789_thumb.png

If you successfully burned Verbatim XL media in the same drive but get the same error message at the same sectors on multiple TDK media, it seems to tell me one of 2 things.  One, that it's failing at a layer change.  With multiple layer media, failing at a layer change is the most common error you'll get.  Two, the problem is drive related.  Most likely, your LG drive doesn't like those kind of TDK discs.  It could be the drive needs replacing.  However, I doubt that, but you won't know that without burning another Verbatim XL disc and seeing if it passes.  If it does, you know it's your drive doesn't like those TDK media.

Please post the log of a failed burn.  Under Help, choose ImgBurn logs, find the failed burn in the log, and copy and paste all entries related to writing and verifying that burn.

Thanks, I burn BDXL discs rarely but saw these TDK discs on eBay and thought that I would give them a go. My gut feeling at the moment is that the burner doesn't like the discs for some reason (possibly a layer change incompatibility as you suggested). However, without buying another Verbatim disc I can't test this theory. BDXL discs aren't the easiest things to buy in the UK, even on eBay. The current Verbatim ones on eBay are very expensive, and the TDK ones were a lot cheaper. You would be very disappointed if one of the Verbatim discs failed to burn properly:)

Actually, it's apparently fairly common for LG BD drives to fail burning ISO's to Verbatim BD-R/E DL media.  I didn't discover this, but someone else discovered, and I thoroughly tested it.  I had already discovered LG's were rotten at writing BD-RE DL discs, usually failing at the layer change.  Someone else posting about failures of BD-R DL in an LG discovered something, though.  If you use the on the fly option in the EZ Mode picker, Verify will always pass.  So, I did thorough tests, and it really does seem if ImgBurn writes an ISO file to a Verbatim BD-R/E DL in an LG drive, it has a high rate of failure at the layer change.

However, in your case, XL media seems to burn fine in your LG drive.  Or maybe you've never encountered an error burning ISO's to a Verbatim BD-R/E DL in an LG.

I have an XL capable burner, but I've never burned one in it.  So, I don't have experience to say anything about actual execution.

Actually, if you have any TDK XL media left, you might want to try the Write files to disc option in the EZ Mode picker to create a disc.  Unless you need an ISO like for a bootable disc.  Writing to an ISO first is recommended if you can do that, though.  However, you might want to try it and see if it works.  What else have you got to lose?  You can't really use the TDK's, it seems.  So, if you have one left, you might as well perform the EZ Mode test.

Here are the temptingly priced BDXL discs on eBay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-Pieces-Original-Printable-TDK-BD-TL-BDXL100GB-4x-Speed-Bluray-DVD-Disc-Repack/222462894155?hash=item33cbd2604b:g:jKkAAOSwQcJaLnC4

I'm sure it's not the seller's fault because the discs look fine. However, they don't seem to work in my LG burner.

Yeah, I'd rank LG BD burners as pretty low quality.  In addition to the Verbatm BD-R/E DL high failure rate with ISO's and ImgBurn, there are other issues.  LG's are pretty rotten readers, too.  And when writing to formatted BD-RE DL discs as giant floppies, it takes 9 hours to write the same amount of data my Pioneer does in 2!  And it won't even write data to the 2nd layer!  :o

The only reason I use LG's at all is because Pioneer borked the firmware for 1.34 for Ritek 8x DVD+RW discs.  They will always fail Verify now and will always fail Verify until fully erased in a different drive.  LG also writes Ritek 6x DVD-RW where the Pioneer and my ASUS USB don't.

Pioneer seems to be the only trustworthy BD drive out there, despite its flaws.

OK, onwards to Plan B. I have also got a Samsung SE-506 and used this to burn one of the BDXL discs. It failed with exactly the same error message. I am beginning to wonder whether these discs are OK, as the Samsung and LG burners are different but the disc has done the same thing. Anyway, BDXL discs are too expensive to be testing them every day.

Screenshot of error message:  http://www.picpaste.com/samsung_bdxl_error-j3WGRnZg.PNG

Log of error message:   https://paste.ee/p/N9Gg5

Samsung burner:   http://uk.pcmag.com/samsung-se-506ab-external-slim-blu-ray-re-writer/8928/review/samsung-se-506ab-external-slim-blu-ray-re-writer

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.