Is it okay to pop a disc out of the burner mid-burn during pop-up messages?

AlbertEinstein

About a week ago I was burning a single-layer BD-R disc. And shortly after I began the burn process I got a warning window that popped up. I don't remember the exact error message. But to the best of my recollection it was something like "Cannot interpet" or "Bad interpretation". I just don't know. 

Anyway, the software kept asking me if I would like to re-try (re-reading the bad sector I'm guessing) so I kept hitting re-try a few times. But after several re-try attempts I just said, "fuh-get-about-it" and had the ImgBurn software close the disc so I would have a successful yet very small partially burned BD-R.

I wanted to take the disc completely out of the burner in between these re-try requests and see if I could spot check the disc for stray dust particles and wipe it clean if necessary. But I was also afraid that the software might abort the burn completely and I would have nothing but a completely worthless BD-R.

So, my question is, can I physically eject a BD-R disc mid-burn (obviously during these pop-up window messages) and check it for stray dust particles and wipe it clean if necessary and re-insert the BD-R disc without causing the software to abort the current burn process?

I've burned so many single-layer BD-R discs successfully from Optical Quantum that I tend to believe this was my fault more than a defective disc. So, this is why I ask.

Thanks for reading!

Edited by AlbertEinstein

You could eject a disc during a burn, but the process will abort and I doubt you can resume it.  I think you'll just always lose the disc, regardless.  Plus, if you do eject a disc during a burn process, you run the risk of ImgBurn locking up and never giving up the exclusive access to the drive until you restart Windows.  Sometimes, powering off will be necessary.  And your drive may stick in a process with the light repeatedly flashing until you power off.  So, the bottom line is even if you could eject a disc during the burning process, you shouldn't.  You will probably not be able to achieve what you desire and you may cause a temporary inability to access the drive.

You could eject a disc during a burn, but the process will abort and I doubt you can resume it.  I think you'll just always lose the disc, regardless.  Plus, if you do eject a disc during a burn process, you run the risk of ImgBurn locking up and never giving up the exclusive access to the drive until you restart Windows.  Sometimes, powering off will be necessary.  And your drive may stick in a process with the light repeatedly flashing until you power off.  So, the bottom line is even if you could eject a disc during the burning process, you shouldn't.  You will probably not be able to achieve what you desire and you may cause a temporary inability to access the drive.

Again to be clear, I'm talking about ejecting the disc while the software is frozen, that is waiting, for a response from the user. Not just ejecting the disc willy nilly while it's writing data.

I appreciate your comments but you sound like your guessing as much as I am. My impression was that since the software is basically at a stand still, waiting for you to answer, "Yes, please retry" or "No, just close the disc" and there is no timer as to how soon you need to respond, that at this point, the process is basically frozen until you respond. Like I said, thank you for your input but I hope to get a more definitive answer soon that tells me what I want to hear. "Yes, you can take the disc out and try to clean it without harming the current process. Good day to you sir. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year as well!!!'. That's what I want to hear.

Edited by AlbertEinstein

Actually, you probably can't eject the disc at all, now that I think about it.  ImgBurn exclusively locks a drive it uses so that nothing else interferes with it.  It might disable access to the eject command, even by pressing the button.  You could always use the pin hole, but that's generally harder in terms of wear and tear on a drive.

That's correct, you shouldn't be able to eject the disc during the actual burn phase.

If you want to eject it during the verify operation and reinsert it, that's entirely your choice.

If you're doing it to check for dust though, you're probably too late - the burning phase has already happened and any 'damage' (by the dust being there) may have already been done.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.