Attempt to Burn in "Test Mode" shows Frightening Dialog

AlbertEinstein

Can you please explain this message (link below) in a bit more detail? Does this mean the same thing as just burning a disc without having done any tests? If that's the case then there's no more chance of ruining a good disc opting into "Test Mode" then having skipped the test.

https://imgur.com/ftsXnFN

The way you word the message in the dialog makes me pause and ask myself, "My God. What am I doing. Do I really want to test this disc?"

Also, can you please explain what the test would actually reveal? Is "Test Mode" good to find bad sectors in advance that might be a result of a finger/thumb print smudge or dust particle that could be wiped clean and then pass?

Thanks for reading!

Edited by AlbertEinstein

Test mode is a flag you set (named as much) in a certain command that's sent to the drive before a burn.

That flag and command aren't 100% supported by drives when burning anything other than cd and DVD media.

So although the program will send it, as per your request, the drive may ignore it.

When a drive is asked to enable its 'test mode', no data is usually written to the disc. It'll go through the motions of burning but won't enable the laser properly.

Test mode will not detect a disc that's going to fail to burn due to defects, dust etc. It's more of a logical test.

So if test mode isn't supported by the drive for that media, it'll burn the disc exactly as if you'd never attempted to enable the option in the first place.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.