I/O Error! Reason: Incorrect Function

Whitemus

Fresh install of Windows 10 and for some reason I can't get it to burn a DVD. I've tried other software and even tried burning a data DVD with windows and it will not burn a DVD, but will burn a CD. Reads DVD's just fine. Get this error immediately when trying to burn with IMGBURN. I've tried updates, installing motherboard drivers, and no luck. Works fine if I use the same burners with a usb adapter, but get this error while connected with SATA. Also, when I install my old hard drive with the old installation of Windows 10, everything works fine. Just won't work on this new install. Any ideas?

I 19:30:19 ImgBurn Version 2.5.8.0 started!
I 19:30:19 Microsoft Windows 8 Professional x64 Edition (6.2, Build 9200)
I 19:30:19 Total Physical Memory: 16,714,564 KiB  -  Available: 14,033,480 KiB
I 19:30:19 Initialising SPTI...
I 19:30:19 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...
I 19:30:19 -> Drive 1 - Info: ATAPI iHAS124   F CL9M (I:) (SATA)
I 19:30:20 -> Drive 2 - Info: ATAPI iHAS124   F CL9M (G:) (SATA)
I 19:30:20 -> Drive 3 - Info: ATAPI iHAS124   F CL9M (H:) (SATA)
I 19:30:20 Found 3 DVD±RWs!
I 19:31:22 Operation Started!
I 19:31:22 Source File: D:\ConvertXtoDVD\Gangster.Land.2017.BDRip.XviD.AC3-EVO.iso
I 19:31:22 Source File Sectors: 1,103,376 (MODE1/2048)
I 19:31:22 Source File Size: 2,259,714,048 bytes
I 19:31:22 Source File Volume Identifier: Gangster.Land.2017.BDRip.XviD.AC3-EVO
I 19:31:22 Source File Volume Set Identifier: 4C297284________Gangster.Land.2017.BDRip.XviD.AC3-EVO
I 19:31:22 Source File Implementation Identifier: VsoSoftware
I 19:31:22 Source File File System(s): ISO9660, UDF (1.02)
I 19:31:22 Destination Device: [0:0:0] ATAPI iHAS124   F CL9M (I:) (SATA)
I 19:31:22 Destination Media Type: DVD-R (Disc ID: CMC MAG. AM3)
I 19:31:22 Destination Media Supported Write Speeds: 6x, 8x, 12x, 16x
I 19:31:22 Destination Media Sectors: 2,298,496
I 19:31:22 Write Mode: DVD
I 19:31:22 Write Type: DAO
I 19:31:22 Write Speed: MAX
I 19:31:22 Link Size: Auto
I 19:31:22 Lock Volume: Yes
I 19:31:22 Test Mode: No
I 19:31:22 OPC: No
I 19:31:22 BURN-Proof: Enabled
I 19:31:22 Write Speed Successfully Set! - Effective: 22,160 KB/s (16x)
I 19:31:22 Advanced Settings - Force HT: No, Online HT: No, OverSpeed: No, SmartBurn: Yes
I 19:31:23 Filling Buffer... (80 MiB)
I 19:31:23 Writing LeadIn...
W 19:31:23 Failed to Write Sectors 0 - 31 - Reason: Incorrect function.
W 19:31:23 Retrying (1 of 20)...
W 19:31:23 Retry Failed - Reason: Incorrect function.
W 19:31:23 Retrying (2 of 20)...
W 19:31:23 Retrying (3 of 20)...
W 19:31:23 Retrying (4 of 20)...
W 19:31:23 Retrying (5 of 20)...
W 19:31:23 Retrying (6 of 20)...
W 19:31:23 Retrying (7 of 20)...
W 19:31:23 Retrying (8 of 20)...
W 19:31:23 Retrying (9 of 20)...
W 19:31:23 Retrying (10 of 20)...
W 19:31:23 Retrying (11 of 20)...
W 19:31:23 Retrying (12 of 20)...
W 19:31:23 Retrying (13 of 20)...
W 19:31:23 Retrying (14 of 20)...
W 19:31:23 Retrying (15 of 20)...
W 19:31:23 Retrying (16 of 20)...
W 19:31:23 Retrying (17 of 20)...
W 19:31:23 Retrying (18 of 20)...
W 19:31:23 Retrying (19 of 20)...
W 19:31:23 Retrying (20 of 20)...
E 19:36:57 Failed to Write Sectors 0 - 31 - Reason: Incorrect function.
I 19:36:57 Synchronising Cache...
W 19:37:00 User opted to skip the 'Close Track/Session/Disc' functions.
E 19:37:00 Failed to Write Image!
E 19:37:01 Operation Failed! - Duration: 00:05:37
I 19:37:01 Average Write Rate: N/A - Maximum Write Rate: N/A

Thanks for the reply.

I 22:35:43 ImgBurn Version 2.5.8.0 started!
I 22:35:43 Microsoft Windows 8 Professional x64 Edition (6.2, Build 9200)
I 22:35:43 Total Physical Memory: 16,714,564 KiB  -  Available: 13,971,744 KiB
I 22:35:43 Initialising SPTI...
I 22:35:43 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...
I 22:35:43 -> Drive 1 - Info: ATAPI iHAS124   F CL9M (F:) (SATA)
I 22:35:43 -> Drive 2 - Info: ATAPI iHAS124   F CL9M (D:) (SATA)
I 22:35:43 -> Drive 3 - Info: ATAPI iHAS124   F CL9M (E:) (SATA)
I 22:35:43 Found 3 DVD±RWs!
I 22:35:51 Device: [0:0:0] ATAPI iHAS124   F CL9M (F:) (SATA)
I 22:35:51 Family Tree:
I 22:35:51 -> ACPI x64-based PC
I 22:35:51 -> Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System
I 22:35:51 -> PCI Express Root Complex
I 22:35:51 -> Standard SATA AHCI Controller (VEN_8086&DEV_8C02 - Intel - storahci - v10.0.15063.332)
I 22:35:51 -> CD-ROM Drive (ATAPI iHAS124   F) (Bus Number 1, Target Id 0, LUN 0)

Have you possibly installed some software that's preventing access to the drive?

The 'WRITE' commands are being blocked by something.

Have you tried booting into safe mode to see if you run into the same issue?

Failing that, go for another reinstall of the OS and check it functions correctly from a clean version - i.e. before you install *anything* else.

I've tried reinstalling 3-4 times, and even tried going back to Windows 7. Still get the same error. I've also tried with only installing IMGBURN but still nothing. The other day it was working after I installed the chipset driver and worked for a whole day or two, but then last night it just started the same thing

Things I've tried:

Safe mode

Clean install of Windows 10 and 7 with only IMGBURN installed.

Windows updates

Driver updates

Different Hard Drives on clean install

Different DVD drives

External burner works.

Old installations of Windows work with same hardware setup.

I even tried installing fresh copy of Windows on my laptop, and still get this error message, and that's a whole different setup. Same result, internal burner gets this error, but external burner works great.

I've lost a lot of sleep over this. Hopefully someone can help.

Just to clarify. I have had this system for about 4 years now. No issues what so ever in the past. Only thing I did was install a new case, install new burners, and a new SSD with clean install of Windows 10. Everything else is the same. Even updated the BIOS thinking that would help but still nothing.

Okay borrowed a desktop from a friend. Fresh install of windows 10. Only install is imgburn and still getting this God forsaken error! I don't understand. Been using this software for years and never an issue. I uninstalled it, and tried to burn the image with the windows disk burner and it won't burn it either. That's 3 computers now with the same result.

Are you using the same SATA cable with this drive in each of the 3 PC's you've tried?  If you put this burner in an enclosure and it works and you tried 3 different PC's, if you used the same SATA cable, one would think it's either the SATA cable or the burner itself that is the problem.  It can't be the SATA controller on the mobo because it keeps happening across different PC's.  So, it has to be something that is common across all 3 PC's and being carried over/replicated on each machine.  That would be either the cable or the drive itself.

However, this doesn't explain why the drive works on your one system image where Windows 10 was installed before and the drive was working okay.  And you've restored this system where Windows 10 was working with this drive and tested it again to make sure it's still working on that system image?

Yes I'm actually using it on a previous image now and all 3 drives are burning perfectly.

As for the other installs, it was all different hardware so yes it was different cables and such. One of the installs was a laptop with a burner, so no cables were involved. This really makes no sense to me and has been driving me crazy!

My latest test was a new install of Windows 7 x64 and didn't install anything extra. Burned an image file with the included windows burning software. It worked fine. Then installed imgburn and I get this error. Uninstalled imgburn and now the built in software is not working anymore.

I've tried other software and didn't work, but now that I think about it, it was after I installed imgburn. I'm not sure, but that's really the only common denominator here. But once installed, nothing works to burn a DVD. Burns Cds just fine though.

I was just going suggest, test the .EXE you downloaded of ImgBurn.  If you're willing to test it/have an image you can restore from to test with, try uninstalling ImgBurn on the image of Windows that works and reinstalling ImgBurn.  If it fails again, then it could be a corrupt ImgBurn .EXE installer when it was downloaded, if you're using the same executable in all tests.  While it seems unlikely to be the case, it could be the case.  And, at this point, the only common denominator is installing ImgBurn.  If it's already pre-installed, it seems to work.  If you install it, it doesn't.  However, this doesn't explain why the enclosure works.  Unless the installer just happens to be corrupt to the point where it works but doesn't work right and only just happens to fail on SATA.  Again, highly unlikely, but what else can you test at this point?  And what else have you got to lose at this point, too?

I tried a different exe and even used a previous version of one I had on an old USB stick. Still get the same problem. I'm afraid to even try on this setup that's working because right now it's all I have to use right now. I feel like I have tried everything but it has to be something so dumb. I just can't seem to figure it out though.

Can't remember if I mentioned this, but on a new install of windows 10, it would work after I did a system update that it downloaded when I first install. It worked fine for a day or so but then just stopped working out of nowhere.

Reinstalled windows 10. Installed Nero and it burns iso files fine. Imgburn does not work still. Tried CDburnerXP and it doesn't work either. Nero still works though. I just don't understand. Also, this is a different pc. It's an HP with all original hardware installed.

It's very strange that every command appears to be working ok, except for the actual 'WRITE' one.

As I said before, the 'Incorrect function' message is from the OS rather than the drive. The OS (or some sort of driver) is messing with how things normally work. That fact you've had this issue on multiple machines is interesting... if it was genuinely an issue, I'd expect a lot more 'noise' here on the forum about it.

I can't think of any reason why a 100% clean install of Windows 10 (with nothing but all windows updates) wouldn't work fine.

You've definitely tried booting the machine into safe mode and running ImgBurn from there yeah?

Perhaps try adjusting the SPTI enumeration method in the settings (on the I/O tab) to the other options. If Nero works (and assuming it isn't using a lower level driver to bypass whatever the issue is, maybe only one method of enumerating the drives is being blocked / broken.

What?!

So if you set the enum method 'Device Class' or 'Drive Letter', you get 'no devices found' ?

Your system is not well!

I did a fresh install of Window 10 1709 (Build 16299) earlier today inside VMWare and all 3 of the enum methods work just fine.

Do you get any errors when attempting to use the other enumeration methods? If so, please copy + paste everything from the Log window so I can see them.

I misunderstood that, so I was wrong. I did try those other enumeration settings and still getting this error though.

I did a fresh install of Windows 7 home premium and everything worked fine. Then upgraded to Windows 10 and back to the same error. This is on the test desktop that I've been using. All factory setup from HP that had originally windows 7 installed on it.

I'm lost at this point. I was hoping someone would see this post and point out something so dumb that I was missing and call me an idiot so I could laugh about it and move on lol. Apparently it's a little more than that. I really don't know what to try next so any suggestions would be great. I'm going to use Windows 7 for now until I can get this working on my test computer.

Yeah, I hate to say it, but, sometimes, there are no answers, no matter how much you test or how logical your approach.  My recent instance was when I got this current PC, it had Windows 8.1 Update 1 installed on it.  Out of the box, it wasn't ripping audio CD's to image files correctly.  Within the last 3 tracks or towards the end if it's one massive track, there would be missing audio.  If I ripped the tracks in Windows Media Player, they'd be fine.  It didn't matter what software I used to read to image files, it would do that.  I tried restoring to the factory default image I took with nothing else installed, I tried resetting Windows after that, I tried both SATA and USB connected readers, always the same result.  No rhyme or reason why it should be doing that.  When I updated to Windows 10, the problem apparently went away!  Makes no logical sense, but it happened.

I wish this problem would go away lol. My favorite software on the planet and I can't even use it without reverting back to Windows 7. I don't necessarily have a problem with Windows 7, but it just bothers me that this isn't working and makes no sense. I'm hoping something will make sense one day. This has drove me completely insane over the past two weeks.

and you've tried installing this driver?

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27400/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-?product=55005

Once you've done that and rebooted, if it still doesn't work, go into your BIOS and set the SATA controller into IDE/Compatible mode and try again.

When you've done that correctly (and I say that because you might have that option for multiple controllers), your 'Family Tree' info will have changed and it'll no longer mention AHCI.

Have you tried the nuclear option?  Get an entire new PC from a manufacturer you've never used before, get an entirely different drive, and try that?

Actually, you may not have to go that far.  Have you tried an entirely different burner?  Not just putting the burner in an enclosure and testing it. 

I'm forgetting.  I think you said you had tried the drive in an enclosure before and that worked?  Or did it also fail on the enclosure.  If it works on an enclosure but not internally, it's some kind of problem with the SATA connection.  Either on the drive, the cable, which I think you said you tried replacing, the motherboard, or something being installed by ImgBurn or Windows Update that is causing the problem.

And, you said everything appears to work fine until you install ImgBurn.  So, have you tried a fresh install of Windows 10 with the modem disconnected so Windows Updates can't be installed and then try installing ImgBurn?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.