Ripping Defect?

blastvortex

Started doing new rips of old games because at least one had some errors due to a corrupted drive, but found that some won't rip now (coincidentally including the bad one). It gets always gets stuck on the second track (always an "audio" one) and won't proceed to the next track, regardless of disc condition, even though they play well on system and most of them are still excellent to pristine. At first, I was thinking that it's because the handful that won't rip are older PS1, but plenty of others around the same era worked too, and at least one of the non-rippers is very late PS1 era (2000+). NOTE: I could've left it going for 10+ minutes, the result would've been the same. Wondering what the problem is. All of them are those black discs, if that matters.

post-57003-0-61353200-1515813205_thumb.jpgpost-57003-0-66954400-1515813220_thumb.jpgpost-57003-0-58730000-1515813231_thumb.jpg

Edited by blastvortex

Well, there's no error message to go by, so, there's really little we can do. 

I have Mega Man 8 and it still plays in my PS3 so I tested it by attempting to read it in ImgBurn in my Pioneer 2209 BD drive.  It failed to read, but I was getting returned error messages.  L-EC Uncorrectable errors, so it could be that my disc is not good anymore and is only readable enough to boot on my PS3 but not play all the way through.  However, given the fact that you can't read Mega Man 8 either, it seems to more likely be a case that, for whatever reason, ImgBurn can't read Mega Man 8.  Which would indicate that some PS1 games can be read by ImgBurn and some can't, since you got some discs read to image files and some not.

I ran another test on another Capcom game from a few years after Mega Man 8, Strider 2.  ImgBurn read both discs to image files.  This backs up my idea that some PS1 games can be read in by ImgBurn for whatever reason and some can't.  Also backed up by the results you achieved, where some discs would read and some wouldn't.

Why you got no error returns is something down to your drive most likely.

And it seems to be dependent on the drive, too.  I tried reading the disc in my LG WH16 BD drive and it never completed analyzing Track 2 from Session 1.  Even after 10 minutes, where I gave up because if it won't do it after 10 minutes, it won't do it at all.  The Pioneer drive seems to be failing at reading Track 2 on Mega Man 8, if I had to hazard a guess.

It does seem that certain games can't be copied with certain combinations of hardware and software.  I tried reading an image in Roxio NXT 4 on Mega Man 8 and it crapped out at the same place ImgBurn tried to read it at.

Now, these "bad sectors" may be Playstation's copy protection method.  That it looks for purposefully bad sectors as a way to check for legitimate physical discs.  However, I thought these bad sectors existed beyond the end of the disc to look for.  Plus, it doesn't explain why Strider 2 worked and Mega Man 8 doesn't, except that Strider 2 is newer.

However, I'm more up to thinking it's down to the individual games in question and the hardware and software you use to read it.  For instance, ImgBurn and Roxio failed on Mega Man 8, but UltraISO DID read it to a BIN/CUE file.  Although, where it crapped out in ImgBurn and Roxio, UltraISO "paused" at the same place, thinking about it.  But, it did eventually get an image file read.  How accurate/playable that image is, though, I don't know.

So, if you have UltraISO, try that.  If you don't, UltraISO isn't freeware.

Okay. Yes, I was surprised by the lack of error messages. I was also surprised that similar discs seemed to work, even similar discs from the same company (something I probably should have mentioned, my bad). Mega Man X4 and Darkstalkers 3 worked just fine, whereas Mega Man 8 and Darkstalkers 1 did not.

Age of disc itself didn't seem to make a difference either, since the most recent disc that wouldn't read was King of Fighters '99, whereas Fatal Fury: Wild Ambition, also made by SNK and released earlier, ripped just fine. Then again, I'm looking at the disc now, and it seems that they might have released Playstation version through different distribution channels. Hadn't realized that before.

Anyway, regarding the "bad sectors" argument, I did wonder about that since I do recall something about certain companies using that to discourage unhealthy activities, though I thought something about the disc coating was supposed to make that unnecessary (or that it only affected more direct burning methods, etc, perhaps that's a silly thought), or that they didn't use that until PS2 era and afterward. It's been a while and I guess I'm a little out of touch.

Then again, maybe the disc(s) really are just holding up enough that they'll still play just fine on the hardware but won't rip. Just that I can see it isn't a simple program issue, and I was sure that it couldn't entirely be a hardware issue, though I did consider that. Thanks for the advice, either way. I'll see what I can do.

Edited by blastvortex

• 2 weeks later...

On the memory that I thought Alcohol read my Mega Man 8 10 to 15 years ago, I decided to test the latest version.  Alcohol 120% Free Edition 2.0.3 Build 10121 on Windows 10 latest version Home Edition WILL read Mega Man 8 in a Pioneer 209M BD burner to an mds/mdf file set.  However, ImgBurn cannot burn this file set.  The image set is a mult-track image file set, which ImgBurn doesn't support burning mult-track CD's.  There's an option in the Free Edition of Alcohol 120% to burn this set with, so you may want to to try that.

My guess is Mega Man X 4, for you, and Strider 2, for me, read successfully in ImgBurn before because they're not multi-track discs?  Anyway, as I said, you may want to try Alcohol 120% Free Edition for reading/writing Mega Man 8.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.