ImgBurn Support Forum uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

Photo

"Found 1 DVD-ROM!" but "No Writers Detected!"

Forum Rules

Read the Guides forum if you don't know how to do something. :readbook:
If you have a question or a problem, check the FAQ and use the Search to see if you can find the answer for yourself. :lightbulb:
If you're having trouble burning double layer media, read Here.
Still stuck? Create a new thread and describe your issue in detail.
Make sure you include a copy of the program's log in your post. No log = :chair:

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 fgranlund

fgranlund

ISF Newbie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 07:36 PM

The ImgBurn Log reports finding a burner, but the program insists there isn't one. Does it think a DVD-ROM isn't a DVD burner? That is certainly incorrect.

How do I convince the program to detect the drive it's already found??

#2 LIGHTNING UK!

LIGHTNING UK!

Author of ImgBurn

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,380 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 08:41 PM

Copy and paste everything from the Log window please.
Please don't PM me with questions that should be posted in the forum. I won't reply - Especially if you have post count of 0!!!

Replies to posts belong in the forum where everyone can read them. Please don't PM them.

In fact, don't PM me at all unless it's something I've asked to be told about!

Before asking questions, search the forum to see if someone else already has.

Use the FAQ and Guides forums to your advantage. I don't want to have to tell you to read them!

#3 dbminter

dbminter

ISF God

• Beta Team Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 08:57 PM

Until we see the log, about the only thing I can say is maybe it isn't burner but a read only (ROM) drive.  If it is a read only drive, it will find a DVD-ROM but no writers because there are none.  The log will list the ID string of the drive, which will tell us what the drive is.

#4 fgranlund

fgranlund

ISF Newbie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 05:59 PM

I tried attaching the log printout as a screenshot, but that apparently doesn't work. So - here it is:

I 09:55:44 ImgBurn Version 2.5.8.0 started!
I 09:55:44 Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 3)
I 09:55:44 Total Physical Memory: 2,620,912 KiB  -  Available: 1,356,532 KiB
I 09:55:44 Initialising SPTI...
I 09:55:44 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...
I 09:55:44 -> Drive 1 - Info: MS C/DVD-ROM 3.0 (D:) (ATA)
I 09:55:44 Found 1 DVD-ROM!

The DVD drive is indeed a writer, and has made dozens of CDs and DVDs. Thanks for your help!

#5 LIGHTNING UK!

LIGHTNING UK!

Author of ImgBurn

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,380 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 06:26 PM

You'd better check in Device Manager because your writer isn't being made available to the program.

I'm not sure what that 'MS C/DVD-ROM' is. Possibly a virtual drive of some sort?
Please don't PM me with questions that should be posted in the forum. I won't reply - Especially if you have post count of 0!!!

Replies to posts belong in the forum where everyone can read them. Please don't PM them.

In fact, don't PM me at all unless it's something I've asked to be told about!

Before asking questions, search the forum to see if someone else already has.

Use the FAQ and Guides forums to your advantage. I don't want to have to tell you to read them!

#6 dbminter

dbminter

ISF God

• Beta Team Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 07:38 PM

If ImgBurn had made discs with this drive before, then there's a configuration error somewhere.  The ID string of the drive seems to be a generic one, so Windows doesn't seem to think it's an available writer.

Have you tried using Windows' built in writing to write a disc and see if it works?  Use a rewritable one if you have one available to save using a disc.  If Windows won't right to it, then Windows thinks the drive is not a writer but a reader.

Now, there's always the chance the drive could have gone bad and needs replacing.  However, generally, Windows shouldn't rethink itself if that happens to a drive and call it what it isn't.  Windows would just generally keep the old settings even if the drive stopped working correctly.

As LUK said, check Device Manager to check the drive's status.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users