Other Opera users, test something for me, please?

dbminter

Need a little confirmation from any other Opera users.

Discovered something that seems to occur in all 9.0x releases of Opera, but is not in Opera 8.52. Would someone else check this for me, too?

Copied and pasted over from my post over at Opera's forums:

I have had a wide variety of Opera versions installed at one point, to beta test weekly builds, etc. Something I only just accidentally discovered after finding an old Opera 8 installed directory and loading it up to check the Build of the install. I was working around in it because it was still opened and discovered that navigations on TV.COM show pages worked in Opera 8.52.7721 didn't in the current Opera 9 build I was testing, 9.03.8629. So, I tried some other 9.0x builds, 9.02.8585 and 9.01.8552, and got the same results. I didn't find anything here searching for "tv.com" so, I thought I'd ask about it, to get others to try it under 9.0x builds. As it could be possible that I've got some left behind modules or Registry Entries or whatnot from test beta builds. It comes with the territory, and, I willingly take it on myself. :wink:

Would anyone mind using 9.02.8585 (The last gold/final release.) or the latest 9.03 build (Mine was 8629.) and check out TV.COM to see if you get the same results? Back a show, any show, and load any episode from its list. Then, try any of the "navigation" menu buttons: Recap, Overview, Credits, Trivia & Quotes, Reviews, Pre-Show Buzz, Discussion, or the < and > previous and next episode arrows. They don't seem to show up in Opera 9 as clickable links as they do in Opera 8. Meaning, the mouse cursor will change and clicking on them doesn't do anything because they aren't being recognized as links, it seems.

Or, if there's something someone maybe able to tell me I need to change/check, also, freely let me know that, too. One never knows.

Thanks!

Hey db, although I've just switched to firefox 2.0 i still use Opera 9.0.2.8585. I have the same as you do, regarding the menu buttons. Thats about as far as i got. I know it's not really any help to solving this but it's always comforting knowing you're not alone in suffering with these problems..... :D

I've never heard of TV.com before so i'm not much help i'm afraid. I will check the site out and try and get back to you.

Hey db, although I've just switched to firefox 2.0 i still use Opera 9.0.2.8585. I have the same as you do, regarding the menu buttons. Thats about as far as i got. I know it's not really any help to solving this but it's always comforting knowing you're not alone in suffering with these problems..... :D

Not at all. This was very helpful, as I now know, as I knew when I posted :D that this is a bug in Opera. I just needed others who could verify it. Now, to watch as Opera sits back and ignores it? :lol:

Thanks!

One annoying feature that happened when I downloaded the latest Opera is it AUTOMATICALLY imported bookmarks on i't own, I was not given a choice and install just did it for me. Not what I wanted, if I wanted to import FF bookmarks I would. IE7 is getting used alot more and FF as always is run almost exclusively but I find myself using IE more now.

Same here, db. Doesn't work for me.

Don't know why, though.

The simple answer is Opera has a bug in it somewhere. :lol: The weekly builds are notorious for releasing versions where X page suddenly stops working. I was always worried about such programming methods... :unsure: HOW this escaped notice ever since version 9.0 started, though... :unknown:

I agree that Opera has bugs - all software does. But at least contacting the developers is fairly easy with Opera. Try doing that with IE's developers!

That testcase is interesting, though - only a tiny area of the link is clickable. But on tv.com I can't find anything clickable on those links.

I know I've been a bit quiet, lfc, but it's not because of Torchwood. Apart from the first episode, I haven't been impressed. But the next episode features a cyberwoman, which looks good. Maybe db would be interested in it - you don't often see a cyberbeing that actually looks female...

I agree that Opera has bugs - all software does. But at least contacting the developers is fairly easy with Opera. Try doing that with IE's developers!

Yes, I will agree that Opera does have a way to at least report bugs. But, I've seen many that are still present years later after reporting. :)

I know I've been a bit quiet, lfc, but it's not because of Torchwood. Apart from the first episode, I haven't been impressed. But the next episode features a cyberwoman, which looks good. Maybe db would be interested in it - you don't often see a cyberbeing that actually looks female...

Calm down there, dragon dear. Put your TARDIS back in your time vortex. =))

If it counts as canon, there was a female Cyber Controller or something to that effect in Big Finish Production's Reel Time. Plus, the two female to Cyberman conversions from 2006 episodes themselves.

I would like to see it HINT HINT! :thumbup: just because I'd love to have complete collections of all things Dalek and Cybermen. :D

Speaking of Torchwood and Cybermen, am I the only one who thinks the marching sound Cybermen make sounds suspiciously and strangely like the phrase "Torchwood?" :lol:

Anyone remember Captain Power And The Soliders Of The Future? Had the writers had their way and the show producers had had theirs and the 2nd season was made, the character of Morganna II was probably going to have the first cybersex scene in TV history. :blush:

BTW, I can't help but notice the bit of psychoanalyzing of me going on above there. I'd be interested in it, why, specifically? Just BECAUSE the cyber being in female? ;) You're implying a sort of Sorayama fetish? Granted, I'd love to be able to rid my brain of this house of pain we call the body, but, here's always been the problem of men writing stories about female robots. :D They always sexualize them in some way... which goes entirely counterintuative to the very concept of robots. For instance, let's start with WHY? =)) Why adopt any kind of sexual connotation to start with? In a war between humans and robots, look at it logically. Two humans get together and through a messy, complicated, and possibly fatal process, it takes 18 years for these 2 to create an effective fighting soldier. Imagine how many of its own kind 2 machines could build in just 18 DAYS. :devil:

So, no, in the end, such attributes used in such stories are just unfulfilled adolescent fantasies being made real. :wub:

Calm down there, dragon dear. Put your TARDIS back in your time vortex. =))

I would like to see it HINT HINT! :thumbup: just because I'd love to have complete collections of all things Dalek and Cybermen. :D

BTW, I can't help but notice the bit of psychoanalyzing of me going on above there. I'd be interested in it, why, specifically?

You think too much, db!

BTW, I'm sure you'll see it soon... :whistling:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.