ImgBurn Support Forum uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

Photo

Can someone recommend a blu-ray drive that is known to work with M-Discs & BDXL discs and with ImgBurn?

Forum Rules

Read the Guides forum if you don't know how to do something. :readbook:
If you have a question or a problem, check the FAQ and use the Search to see if you can find the answer for yourself. :lightbulb:
If you're having trouble burning double layer media, read Here.
Still stuck? Create a new thread and describe your issue in detail.
Make sure you include a copy of the program's log in your post. No log = :chair:

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#41 Outlier

Outlier

ISF Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 10:22 PM

I was just kidding about the "1000 years."  I just want them around long enough until I reach old age and if I have kids, their old age, and if they have kids, their old age, and so on.  Beyond my parents' black and white photos, I don't know what their daily lives were like before I was born since there are no videos of them.  And I have no clue about what their parents looked like or what ancestors beyond that looked like or what their life stories were about.  It's kind of funny, but this process has made me think & take a deeper look at life, why I'm doing things and ultimately who I'm doing it for, how long do I think I'm going to live, if I'm going to have kids, etc. LOL.  Your comment about the Godzilla movie reminded me of the Star Trek captain from the Next Generation (actor Patrick Stewart).  That series was supposedly set hundreds of years in the future.  I would have thought hundreds of years in the future there'd be a cure for baldness but apparently there wasn't in that series.

Anyway, I should note that it only seems to be the enclosure that was designed to be vertical and the companies who design enclosures probably realize their customers are concerned about space.  But the Pioneer 2209 drive itself was meant to go inside a computer and all the computers I've owned have had the DVD/Blu-ray drives mounted horizontally.  So this is debateable.  I really only became interested when I saw that my last successful burn happened when it was vertical.

#42 dbminter

dbminter

ISF God

• Beta Team Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,933 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 11:45 PM

Yeah, about the horizontal versus vertical orientation debate.  At one time, PC case makers used to sell models where the optical drives were designed to be put in vertically.  So, you could, if you wanted, fit 4 drives in the space of 2.  So, did they stop doing this because drives were never meant to do this?  Or did they stop doing it simply because it wasn't a feature people were using?  That people weren't stuffing their cases with 4 drives.  In fact, I never had more than 3 drives in a tower, and that one tower was the only one that ever had space for 3 5.25 inch drive bays.  And one of those drives had to be PATA because there were only 3 SATA connections on the mobo, and one went to the HDD.

I don't prefer vertical orientation because you have to make really sure you've secured the disc in the tray indentation before pulling your hand away.  Just last week, I didn't do it well enough and a disc fell on the floor.

#43 dbminter

dbminter

ISF God

• Beta Team Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,933 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 12:47 AM

Also, I thoroughly tested the 2209 in that enclosure.  I threw many discs at it and all tests passed with the 2209 in the vertical position.  However, only a few double layer media tests were performed.  A few DVD+R DL's and 1 BD-RE DL write test were done.  So, I still think it's just the nature of the triple layer beast.  Let's see how well you do with DL M-Disc.

So, I don't see there being any real problem with the drive in the vertical position.

Edited by dbminter, 06 March 2018 - 12:48 AM.

#44 Outlier

Outlier

ISF Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 07:52 AM

To update the thread, I burned four double layer 50 GB Verbatim M-Discs and all of them were successful (including verification), 4/4.  All of the single layer 25 GB discs were successful too and I tested over 10 of those.   

So, I still think it's just the nature of the triple layer beast.  Let's see how well you do with DL M-Disc.

I agree with you.  The 100 GB discs are probably still in the infancy stages.  I'll probably just use the 25 GB or 50 GB discs from now on.  It was an expensive lesson to learn and hopefully someone else learns from it.  Maybe in a few years from now, the 100 GB discs will be more reliable.  If someone else has a different experience with them, hopefully they will post it here...

#45 dbminter

dbminter

ISF God

• Beta Team Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,933 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 03:24 PM

I only use double layer discs when necessary.  For DVD-Video jobs that require DVD+R DL and for BD-RE DL to make my monthly system and files backups to.  I avoid using multi-layer media whenever I can.  Even though it takes more BD-R to do a backup than it would BD-R DL, they're more likely to finish without errors and not have a problem reading back later on in years.

#46 dbminter

dbminter

ISF God

• Beta Team Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,933 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 05:46 PM

Well, what do you know?  After over a year of no new firmware updates, Pioneer updated the 1.34 firmware of the BDR-2209 to 1.50.  I had thought that the 2209 would never receive another firmware update.  I'm testing an 8x DVD+RW right now, in the Verify stage where it failed before, to see if they fixed the borked firmware from before.

So, if the OP got the 2209 and has decided to keep it, there is a new 1.50 firmware released around March 2nd.  It's dated December 2017, though, oddly enough.

Surprisingly enough, the LG WH16NS40 also got a firmware update after like almost 4 years.  But that was to plug a decryption hole in Ultra HD Blu-Ray's.  Maybe that's why the 2209 got one, too.  Simply to plug a Hollywood Hole, a goof that the big movie producers don't want.  And nothing done to actually better the drive.

And, the 1.50 firmware PASSED!  :w00tdance: They actually followed up on my e-mail and fixed the borked firmware, it seems!  :D

Edited by dbminter, 12 March 2018 - 05:47 PM.

#47 dbminter

dbminter

ISF God

• Beta Team Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,933 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 08:12 PM

Now, IF you wanted to gamble the money on it, you could try some more Verbatim BD-R X/TL M-Disc with this new Pioneer BDR-2209 1.50 firmware.  See if this new firmware handles those kinds of media better.  However, as I said, it's a gamble.  But, if you had any left, why got give it a throw?

#48 Outlier

Outlier

ISF Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 01:03 AM

Thanks for the info.  I wish I knew about the firmware update before doing all that expensive testing >:p .  If the problem is with the 100 GB disc media itself, how much of a difference do you think a firmware update would make? 

Anyway, I've decided to keep the 2209 and return the XS06 (in large part due to the recommendations in this thread).  I just upgraded the firmware to 1.50 but I don't have any more 100 GB discs to test.  I only have a few more folders to backup anyway and they're each less than 50 GB.  I do plan to make photo/video backups every year from now on so maybe I'll try the triple layer discs again after the year is over.

#49 dbminter

dbminter

ISF God

• Beta Team Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,933 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 01:32 AM

As far as the 2209 goes, firmware updates make a lot of difference.  For instance, when I first got the 2209, there were 2 Verbatim DVD+R DL media brands with the same Disc ID.  One disc had an inkjet printable surface and one was branded.  The 2209 had no problems with the branded discs, but would always fail Verify on the inkjet discs, even though they were the same DID.  Internally, they should not have been different, but apparently, they were.  The next firmware update to the 2209 fixed this issue.  Then, when the 1.34 firmware came out, it caused Ritek 8x DVD+RW that would burn and Verify under 1.33 to fail Verifies until fully formatted in another drive.  Hence why I started using the LG for my 8x DVD+RW.  Then, the 1.50 firmware came out for the 2209 and 8x DVD+RW completes Verifies now.  And now that my LG needs replacing and the 2209 appears to work again with 8x DVD+RW, I'm getting the Pioneer 209 BD that doesn't support BDXL and M-Disc since I don't need those.  It has the same firmware revision number (In fact, the other, newer Ultra HD BD drive Pioneer put out also has the same firmware revision number.) as the 2209 does now, so it should write to 8x DVD+RW fine, too.

I didn't know about the firmware update until today.  I had checked a few weeks ago, but there wasn't one.  Don't know what prompted me to check today, but I did, and there it was.

#50 dbminter

dbminter

ISF God

• Beta Team Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,933 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 03:06 PM

One thing I noticed Pioneer updated in this firmware also relates to 8x DVD+RW.  In the past, writing initially began at 6x for the first 2 and half minutes.  That time has been cut down to one minute and 15 seconds.

#51 dbminter

dbminter

ISF God

• Beta Team Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,933 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 03:47 PM

Actually, firmware 1.50 might improve the results of your issue.

I checked the release notes for 1.50.  They say these improvements were made to the firmware:

Improvement of the recording quality with BD-R TL(2x 4x 6x : MCM)
Performance improvement during high-speed rotation
Improvement of the operational stability when recording DVD-RAM

That first line is of importance here.  However, it seems to indicate MCM BD-R TL discs.  However, MCM makes Verbatim's DVD-R and DVD+R DL.  Don't know if they make Milleniata's Verbatim M-Disc BD-R TL or not.  Though, it seems you'd have a higher possible success rate with BD-R TL under this 1.50 firmware.  It's definitely something worth investigating if you wanted to invest the time and money.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users