ImgBurn Support Forum uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

Photo

Is it still possible to optimize a CD/DVD/Blu-Ray burn by burning pre-generated meta-data like Thumbs.db files?

Forum Rules

Read the Guides forum if you don't know how to do something. :readbook:
If you have a question or a problem, check the FAQ and use the Search to see if you can find the answer for yourself. :lightbulb:
If you're having trouble burning double layer media, read Here.
Still stuck? Create a new thread and describe your issue in detail.
Make sure you include a copy of the program's log in your post. No log = :chair:

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dangdongho3

dangdongho3

ISF Newbie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 12:45 AM

I'm getting ready to burn a Blu-Ray disc with lots of video clips. I know that from Windows Vista onward the Windows OS generates thumbnail images for lots of different media files and stores these meta-data files in a single custom folder under the current Users folder path.

I was just curious if it was possible to burn this data onto the Blu-Ray disc itself in a universal recognizable format that most operating systems would understand.

I guess in the worst cast scenario, the thumbnail data gets generated when the media is first inserted and the operating system first reads/creates the meta-data. This is good enough I guess but burning the meta-data right on the Blu-Ray disc would be even faster.

Does anybody have any ideas about what I'm asking? All comments welcome.

Thanks for reading!

#2 dbminter

dbminter

ISF God

• Beta Team Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,871 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 04:58 PM

As far as I know, what you suggested by about inserting the media and letting Windows generate the thumbnail data in the Users cache is probably the best and easiest way to go.  I can't think of any way you could manually import that information with the switch over from THUMBS.DAT.

#3 ianymaty

ianymaty

ISF God

• Beta Team Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 12:42 PM

Of course you can add the Thumbs.db to the disc.

Let the Windows create the file first. The file will be created in any folder that contain media like pictures or movie files.

It may be invisible in the folder as it is a hidden system file. You need to make the system files visible to see it. Google it if you don't know how.

Start ImgBurn and enable the boxes "Include hidden files" and "Include system files" on Options tab.

You should not live in the past anymore!

Current supported version: ImgBurn 2.5.8.0 Get it while it's current!

Also, visit the site of: FIRMWARE HQ for drive update.

#4 dbminter

dbminter

ISF God

• Beta Team Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,871 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 02:56 PM

But, THUMBS.DB was abandoned after Windows Vista.  The OP's original intention seemed to indicate he wasn't using that version of Windows.  But, if you are using Vista, just do the steps as described above.

#5 ianymaty

ianymaty

ISF God

• Beta Team Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 06:15 PM

But, THUMBS.DB was abandoned after Windows Vista...

Where did you get this info? I may be living under a rock but can't find any info to support the abandon thing...

You should not live in the past anymore!

Current supported version: ImgBurn 2.5.8.0 Get it while it's current!

Also, visit the site of: FIRMWARE HQ for drive update.

#6 dbminter

dbminter

ISF God

• Beta Team Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,871 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 09:00 PM

I said abandoned because I haven't seen a THUMBS.DB file in a folder except for 10 year plus old backups of folders I did.  Restoring them restored the THUMBS.DB that was backed up with the folders back with Windows Vista.  I haven't seen a "live" THUMBS.DB file in any folder on any Windows installation I've had since Vista.  Except for, as I said, deprecated contents.  So, I just guessed it was abandoned.

I looked it up.  It seems that THUMBS.DB did make it all the way to Windows 8, but doesn't seem to be live anymore in Windows 10.

Edited by dbminter, 13 March 2018 - 09:04 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users