ImgBurn Support Forum uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

Photo

Another Failure (kinda) at 99% Finished - requires rebooting system but disc still readable

Forum Rules

Read the Guides forum if you don't know how to do something. :readbook:
If you have a question or a problem, check the FAQ and use the Search to see if you can find the answer for yourself. :lightbulb:
If you're having trouble burning double layer media, read Here.
Still stuck? Create a new thread and describe your issue in detail.
Make sure you include a copy of the program's log in your post. No log = :chair:

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#21 dbminter

dbminter

ISF God

• Beta Team Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,835 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 10:24 PM

By it's down to what the drive does means what it says on the tin.  A disc can have a write descriptor of 16x but only write to 8x depending on the drive.  The drive also has to have in its firmware the write strategy to support that maximum speed.  If it doesn't, it will only write at the maximum speed the firmware dictates.  Plus, many BD-R are rated at 6x but a lot of drives will write at 12x or even 16x for them.  The drive basically does what it's told and does its best to interpret the instructions it's given.  The drive sometimes doesn't always do what it's told.  And you'll get random misbehavior, too.  A disc may be rated 16x, ImgBurn says it will write at 16x, but the drive only writes at 8x for whatever reason.  Some drives even have in their instruction set to do this.  LG's, for instance, will write 6x BD-R Verbatim media at 12x, but if there's drive read threshold encountered, many times when the LG resumes writing, it's capped at 6x.  The LG I got rid of was doing this.  16x DVD-R were said by ImgBurn to write at 16x, but were only writing at 8x.

#22 AlbertEinstein

AlbertEinstein

ISF Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 02:29 AM

@dbminter,

It's all pretty complicated. I guess experience is the best teacher. 

I just burned another disc moments ago on the same burner and media I've been using. But this time I explicitly capped the burn rate at 4x in ImgBurns "Write Speed" settings. And I got a 100% successful burn. Knock on wood. The "Write Speed" might be what was causing the problem but it may have also been that some other 3rd party software on my PC was putting "Read Locks" on files that I had selected for burning in my project. I was using "MediaInfo" to pull up metadata on .MKV files that I was throwing into the project just because I could. I don't know for sure. I'll keep burning at 4x I guess unless I start having more failures. That's what the media were rated for anyway. I guess I just got lucky with the earlier burns.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users