Is it correct to create .BIN files of a DVD?

Nikes

Hello!

Currently I am doing a backup of a big collection of data CDs and DVDs. My first choice of the image format is .BIN / .CUE, but I've heard that this format is mostly for CDs... Is it Okay to use BIN for creating images of DVDs?, or should I choose .ISO instead?.

Many thanks.

I think audio CD will always create BIN/CUE, unless you have CCD checked under the File Layout.  Then, the BIN is renamed IMG.  I use CCD for compatibility with Virtual CloneDrive, so I'm not too familiar with BIN/CUE.

Yeah, the support of virtual drives natively in Windows 10 is spotty.  For instance, I don't think it properly plays audio CD's as BIN/CUE.  It does natively support ISO for DVD, though, I think.  That's why I use Virtual CloneDrive.  Alcohol 120% Free Edition is also a viable option.

If you're going to use Virtual CloneDrive, it doesn't natively support audio CD's as BIN/CUE as far as I've been able to figure out.  It supports .CCD files, so you'd need to add the CCD option to the File Layout in the Read options in ImgBurn so it creates CCD/IMG file sets for mounting in a Virtual CloneDrive virtual drive.

Alcohol 120% may not be desirable because it installs an extra layer of software for optical drives that can cause an impact hit to optical disc reading.

Interestingly enough, I use both pieces of software, because sometimes ImgBurn won't read certain CD's based on their sessions/gap info, like some Playstation CD's and other discs.  Alcohol will read them, so if I ever need those read to an image file, I'll install Alcohol, read the disc to an image, and then uninstall Alcohol.

Ok, I also found an app called WinCDEmu, it's freeware too. Looks good.

Alcohol 120% looks like a very good option, maybe more desirable to make images of game discs.

Interestingly enough, I use both pieces of software, because sometimes ImgBurn won't read certain CD's based on their sessions/gap info, like some Playstation CD's and other discs.  Alcohol will read them, so if I ever need those read to an image file, I'll install Alcohol, read the disc to an image, and then uninstall Alcohol.

Do I need a high-end optical drive for this?. I've heard that a Plextor drive is sometimes required.

I recently went through an issue with someone else in another thread over their use of WinCDEmu.  It didn't seem that that software was very good.  But, give it a shot and you may like it.  Although with a name like WinCDEmu, I would question whether it mounts DVD/Blu-Ray images or not.

For reading certain discs?  I've never used a Plextor drive before so I don't know if they're any better for any particular use.  I wouldn't think they'd be any better than anything else for specific purposes.  Although some types of drives are necessary for burning XBox copies, but I've never had an XBox so I don't know from experience.  Just from what I've read on these boards.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.