Disk Threshold?

dbminter

Sometimes, a Write operation is put on pause when some kind of disk read Threshold is reached.  The target for resumption, I believe, is 1.000.  What exactly does 1.000 mean?  1.000 what?

Also, not that I want to do it, but is this Threshold value a constant set in ImgBurn or is it a variable the user can designate?  Or can this even be turned off somehow?  :unsure:

Thanks!

Thanks!  Unfortunately, I couldn't check the Settings myself to see because I was formatting a BD-RE DL, which takes 90 minutes.

I didn't think about just opening a 4th (I was actually formatting 3.  :wink:) instance of ImgBurn and checking the settings myself.  :blush:

So what does Average Disk Queue Length mean it says 1.0?  1.0 what?

What are the potential consequences of disabling Buffer Recovery?  Would it be a return to the days of buffer (I TYPOED BUGGER!  =)) ) underrun errors?

http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?/topic/4799-buffer-recovery-threshold/

Does that help?

I’m not in a position to check the exact details but I’d assume it’s the number of I/O requests that are queued up for processing - at a driver level.

If the queue is too long, it means your drive is being overworked and can’t keep up.

That does help, thanks!

I'm mostly concerned about this because of my most recent BIOS update to patch Spectre/Meltdown.  I did take some noticeable hits.  For instance, Freemake Video Converters conversion of 1 hour MP3's to MP4 video container files leaped from 2 hours for 4 of them to 8 hours!  :o  I'm also getting some slow down in creating image files in ImgBurn to HDD.  However, my PC was bought in 2014, so its Spectre/Meltdown hit is going to be higher.

However, I've been getting more and more buffer recovery hits lately burning media.  That's because ever since I updated the BIOS, my HDD light stays on pretty all the time for extended periods of time.  And it's constantly, pretty much, going off and on when it's not.  So, the drive is being accessed more since the update.  In fact, sometimes the access is so severe I have to restart the PC to "recover" from this slowing down.  These buffer recoveries during Writes can last about 2 minutes.  I'm just concerned that, some day, a write will never resume because the HDD is constantly being accessed.

I'm not entirely sure how I'd do that.  I don't even know what speed this HDD is rated at.  I believe it's a 7,200 RPM, but I don't know.

I do think it's the Spectre/Meltdown BIOS update.  I restored an image of Windows a bit back to test it, with nothing else installed, and it did the same thing with the HDD light.

I think I may have been the victim of a possibly messed up Windows configuration.  I restored back to my last image made after the installation of Fall Creators Update and updated Windows Update updates to the latest Windows 10.  I don't seem to have the light constantly flashing anymore or the slow down.  I'll have to see if any thing I installed or updated since then, in my list of things I've done, causes the issue to return.

I had hoped to put off doing this until the new Windows 10 version came out.  That way, I could update Windows 10 and all of my applications at the same time.  Theoretically, an install of a new Windows 10 version from the ISO may have fixed my slow down issue.

Well, I've updated a few things and so far everything is going well.  :unsure:

Edited by dbminter

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.