ImgBurn cannot save an ImgBurn.ibb file in the program's installed directory?

dbminter

Can ImgBurn not save a new ImgBurn.ibb file in the program's installed directory because the file is loaded by ImgBurn on start up of the application?  Therefore, the file is "in use?" 

I tried saving a new default options ImgBurn.ibb to be loaded on start of application, but ImgBurn never actually saved the file in the program's installation directory.  It never displayed the dialog saying the file was successfully saved.  And I checked the date/time stamp on the file and it wasn't reflecting the current date.  ImgBurn would save the file to a different location, but never saved it in the installed directory.  But, I'm guessing this is by design?  :unknown:

I'm the Administrator and even I get a prompt when copying and pasting the ImgBurn.ibb file into the ImgBurn folder.

Why doesn't ImgBurn return an error that it couldn't save the file if writing files isn't allowed in the Program Files (x86) directory?  Shouldn't it being denied being able to write the file have returned an error prompt from ImgBurn?  Or at least from Windows?

Edited by dbminter

Do you disable UAC? Admin user or not, that’s what’ll block the program from saving to that folder. It would need to be run in the elevated state (right click, run as administrator) to work.

As for returning an error... I’m not really sure if I check for that when saving the IBB. Nothing gets written to the log window, no?

I do have UAC disabled and I still can't write to that folder/get a prompt when copying and pasting files to Program Folders (x86)\ImgBurn.

No, nothing gets written to the log window when attempting to save ImgBurn.ibb to C:\Program Files (x86)\ImgBurn.  There's just the prompt asking me if I want to replace the existing file.  Then, nothing happens after selecting to replace the file.  No other prompts and nothing written to the log window.

Ok so I've checked the code now. It completely masks/hides any errors - it's not really my code that writes out the txt file, it's part of my development environment - and that throws 'exceptions' (which would look like crashes).

So you'll just get the success message or nothing - which is what you've already noticed.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.