ImgBurn Support Forum uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

Photo

ImgBurn detects 4 tracks in an old burned data CD

Forum Rules

Read the Guides forum if you don't know how to do something. :readbook:
If you have a question or a problem, check the FAQ and use the Search to see if you can find the answer for yourself. :lightbulb:
If you're having trouble burning double layer media, read Here.
Still stuck? Create a new thread and describe your issue in detail.
Make sure you include a copy of the program's log in your post. No log = :chair:

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 dbminter

dbminter

ISF God

• Beta Team Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,927 posts

Posted 03 July 2018 - 07:58 PM

The drive string indicates it's an LG drive and I think I've had that model before.  LG's aren't really very good readers.  

Yes, but I believe the 1.03 firmware update is only to appease Hollywood.  It seemed that drive may be able to decrypt UltraHD Blu-Rays.  So, a firmware update was rushed out to patch that hole.  It's the only update in it.  But, there were also 1.01 and 1.02 released in the 6 years since 1.00 came out.

I've updated the firmware to the older 1.03 from 2014 (it turns out there are two 1.03 updates on the LG website - the newer one you've mention above from 2018 (N1.03), and an older one from 2014 (1.03-A0) which I didn't notice before), and it didn't solve the problem. You wrote above that LG drives aren't good readers, so what drives ARE recommended as good readers? I'm considering creating images of a lot of my old CDs, but there's no point in such a project if my drive isn't a good reader (I'm already scared that a lot of those old CDs will anyway be problematic reading-wise, so a good reader is crucial).

Side-note - UltraHD Blu-Ray is a new format from 2015, which is not compatible with older Blu-Ray drives, so I don't think it's possible for my drive to read it at all. The closest model that can read these discs is WH16NS40, but my drive is WH14NS40.

Yeah, I was not aware of the N1.03 firmware.  I don't know what that does.  The 1.03 I knew of was from December 2017.  This N1.03 on LG's web site is dated February 28th, 2018.  Funny thing is, that N1.03 firmware is not listed on the firmwarehq page that ImgBurn checks for firmware updates.

So, there may, in fact, be 3 1.03 firmwares, if there's one from 2014, which I only recall the 1.02 from 2014.  I think the one you're thinking of from 2014 is 1.02, which is the date for 1.02 on firmwarehq.  Firmwarehq then lists a 1.03 from December 2017.  And LG's web site for the drive lists an N1.03 firmware from 2018-02-28.

#22 Ch3vr0n

Ch3vr0n

ISF Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 10:12 AM

They do outsource them. If you try to pick them up nowv(at least in every retail, web and Amazon shop I could find) they're red/silver with MID: CMCMAG-CN2-00

The VERBAT-IM1-00 is no longer being produced. They'll tell you that if you ask them :-)

Took me 5+ years if not more to see them again, so I didn't hesitate even for a split second when I had the chance to snap some up.

I never had the bh/wh14. I went from 8 to 10, 12 and 16.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 6P met Tapatalk

Official Dutch (nl-BE) translator for:

Internet Download Manager, ALL Slysoft products, VSO ConvertXtoDVD, various joomla extensions & components

#23 dbminter

dbminter

ISF God

• Beta Team Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,927 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 04:19 PM

Last time I ordered Verbatim BD-RE SL, it was a ten pack from Amazon.com and they were the CMC red and silver ones.  So, I put Verbatim BD-RE SL on my :horse: list.

I recently ordered a Verbatim BD-RE DL from Amazon.com and they were still the good VERBAT-IM kind with the blue and white labels like Verbatim's BD-R.  You can only order singles, though.  That order was placed about 2 or 3 weeks ago, so maybe it was just leftover stock.

#24 Ch3vr0n

Ch3vr0n

ISF Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 04:25 PM

Mine were in red/silver but they were the good ones. Probably there was a crossover period to the cheap crap we know today. I'm just glad that after 5y+ I finally have the good stuff again.

Every Amazon UK/FR/DE i tried was the cheap stuff.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 6P met Tapatalk

Edited by Ch3vr0n, 04 July 2018 - 04:26 PM.

Official Dutch (nl-BE) translator for:

Internet Download Manager, ALL Slysoft products, VSO ConvertXtoDVD, various joomla extensions & components

#25 dbminter

dbminter

ISF God

• Beta Team Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,927 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 04:39 PM

If I were ever to have to get more BD-RE SL, I'd probably see if I could get more of the Panasonic kind I got like 5 years ago.  The DID indicated they were Panasonic brand, which is generally good.  At least, they made good DVD-R back in like 2002 when I first started recording DVD's for converting my VHS collection with their standalone DVD recorder.  Back when DVD-R was $12 a pop!  :o

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users