Supported Writing Speed

Technecure

I just got myself some older JVC Taiyo Yuden's and I have a question about writing speeds. I bought these CD-Rs in hopes of backing up my entire Saturn library, and it tends to be quite picky with the write speeds. My first question is if ImgBurn says my CD-R's lowest supported write speed is 16x, what will happen if I choose a lower burn speed like 4x or even 1x. My second question is whether or not there is a way to check what speeds my drive is capable at writing at. I think that 16x is going to be too fast for my Saturn to handle, but at the same time most people recommend these CD-Rs for burning them. If it makes any difference the model number on the CD-Rs is J-CDR-ZZ-SK and again they are the JVC ones not the newer CMC ones.

While this isn't related to your questions, there is something you should be aware of, if you're not already.  Your Saturn most likely must be modded in some way, either internally or externally, in order to play copies of games, I'm guessing.  You probably can't just backup Saturn game CD's, pop them in, and expect them to play.  At least, I'd think there must surely be some kind of copy protection that prevents this normally.  The Playstation 1 and 2 did, and every console released since then has some kind of copy protection scheme embedded in it.

I have already installed a modchip into my Saturn, but I want to make sure that I am optimizing my backups with the best writing speed/media. I can't seem to find any information about what ImgBurn's supported write speed's mean, because it still allows me to burn at a slower speed than supported.

The list of supported write speeds comes from the drive. It’s the list of speeds the drive claims to support for the media you’ve put in it.

If you select a speed in ImgBurn that isn’t in that list, the drive will simply ignore it and pick the closest supported one.

So if the lowest it says is 16x and you pick 1x in the program, the drive will burn at 16x. It has complete control over that and you can’t force it to burn any slower.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.