Difference

halenrauch

Just to put things into proper perspective I have never used this program or otherwise burned an ISO to a DVD/created a bootable disk from it, I couldn't be more of a beginner.  I picked up a used PC (from a certified MS rebuilder, I do not suspect any hardware issues), I did not want the HDD or the O/S on it, I am trying to get an updated version of Win 7 Ultimate on to a freshly NTFS-formatted ssd and get it running in this machine (I have the original media from MS but it is pretty old and i would be doing Windows updates all day).  I have drivers for HP's main board on a jump drive, I am ready to go except for getting Win 7 onto the DVD in bootable form, actually I think I may have that now, but let me ask a question that my go a long ways for me.  On the main screen of this program, in the mode that has the graphics (like the one showing a folder on the L and a R pointing arrow pointing to a disc on the R), what is the difference between "Create image file from files/folders" and "Write image file to disc"?  The first time I tried the former, at the end of the process it opened my CD/DVD burner door (I do not have that option checked), with a message to manually close it, so I did and then the program seemed to start the process over from the start - this didn't seem right so I stopped that (I think maybe it was some sort of finalization process and I probably should have let it go).  I tried again, this time I chose the other option, "Write image file to disc".  It did the same thing at the end of the process but this time I let it go and it seems I now have a bootable DVD with Windows 7 on it, I put that in the DVD burner and rebooted the PC and it loaded Windows install program.  Why would I have wanted to choose "Create image file from files/folder", though, as others have advised me to do?

If you’ve download an iso (disc image file), you’d want to use the ‘write image file to disc’ option to burn it. The program reads a chunk from the iso and writes it directly to disc.

If you’ve got (for example) a few folders full of files that you want to burn to disc, you’d use the ‘write files/folders to disc’ option.

Think of an iso as a box or something. You can opt to ‘create image file from files/folders’ so it’s easier to deal with when you’re ready to burn it to disc.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.