Consistant varification errors at 50%

redsierra

Hello.

I had been backing up dual layer DVDs to Dual layer DVDs for quite some time using just DVD Decrypter with very good success. Yes I use "crap media" but in the year or so that I have been doing it I have had very few coasters. By the way, I tried a Verbatim just to see if it was media...it failed during verification too.

Lately I am getting consistant failures during verification at 50%. I suspect right at the layer break.

Any ideas how I can eliminate this?

Thanks

Posting a log would help, there are lots of different errors it could be.

But if you're already using Verbatim DVD+R DL media, it must be your drive and/or its firmware.

Check the firmware is up to date.

If that still doesn't fix it, your drive has probably worn itself out. (or you had a dodgy batch of verbatims)

Hello.

I had been backing up dual layer DVDs to Dual layer DVDs for quite some time using just DVD Decrypter with very good success. Yes I use "crap media" but in the year or so that I have been doing it I have had very few coasters. By the way, I tried a Verbatim just to see if it was media...it failed during verification too.

Lately I am getting consistant failures during verification at 50%. I suspect right at the layer break.

Any ideas how I can eliminate this?

Thanks

Hello Lightning. attached is a log. I just dont understand it becuase I have done tons of successful burns, then this! I typically do use what everyone says is crap media (but again, without problems - Memorex). I even tried a Verbatim and it failed in the same fashion during verification.

Thanks,

log.log

Edited by redsierra

As Blu said, you want to burn them at 2.4x, not 4x.

When you burn the verbatims, set it to 2.4x too.

If you really do get write errors on both sets of media, the media has got to be duff or the drive is.

My Plextor 716 lasted a year before it died, just RMA it, it's easy/quick/free!

If you really do get write errors on both sets of media, the media has got to be duff or the drive is.

Thanks guys.

I will slow it down to a snails pace and try 1 x. How do I know if the player is on its way out?

Also, if you let the Imgburn set the layer break at the best spot, IF it changes it would that affect the verify? How would you set it?

You're getting proper read errors back from the drive.

This is not an issue with WHAT has been burnt, just that something has been burnt at all!

If the burner burns ok (no errors) and then can't read back what it just wrote, it's clear the burn was no good.

I would almost expect that on cheapo ritek / cmc DL media but not on Verbatim ones.

So if it really is still giving you read errors when you've burn to decent Verbatim discs, I would say your drive is on its way out.

When mine died it would cycle the tray after the burn (and before the verify) but get stuck and just return the 'Unable to recover TOC' error.

So it has just that second finished burning and then it couldn't even initialise the disc to gather info about it etc - and that process is TOTALLY internal to the drive.

I filled out an RMA on the plextor site and 4 days later I had a new drive.

This is not an issue with WHAT has been burnt, just that something has been burnt at all!

I am sorry I dont understand the statement after the comma.

When mine died it would cycle the tray after the burn (and before the verify) but get stuck and just return the 'Unable to recover TOC' error.

So it has just that second finished burning and then it couldn't even initialise the disc to gather info about it etc - and that process is TOTALLY internal to the drive.

Hmmm, mine is doing that too! Funny thing is that it is burning shrunk DVDs on single layer discs just fine.

I just meant that for all the writer cares, you could have burnt 4 million 'zero filled' sectors.

What's being burn is neither here nor there. The drive just can't read the sector back.

It's not that the data on the disc doesn't match that of the image file, it's that the data on the disc is 110% useless because the drive cannot read it, full stop.

Just RMA the drive and save yourself from wasting more time and money trying to fix things and diagnose problems.

I just meant that for all the writer cares, you could have burnt 4 million 'zero filled' sectors.

What's being burn is neither here nor there. The drive just can't read the sector back.

It's not that the data on the disc doesn't match that of the image file, it's that the data on the disc is 110% useless because the drive cannot read it, full stop.

Just RMA the drive and save yourself from wasting more time and money trying to fix things and diagnose problems.

Just searched high and low for the receipts. 1/1/2 years old. Looks like an RMA is pointless. What replacemnt burner would you recommend?

by the way thanks for your help...truly appreciated.

Thanks guys.

I will slow it down to a snails pace and try 1 x. How do I know if the player is on its way out?

Also, if you let the Imgburn set the layer break at the best spot, IF it changes it would that affect the verify? How would you set it?

you can try to set it to 1x but its not a supported write speed and 1x really isn't supported by either drives or media these days the recommendation was 2.4X

I have BenQ DW1655 that has been flawless so far, I have no personal experience of them but I also understand that the new Pioneer drives are good too. For value for money I would always buy an NEC and if I was loaded a Plextor ! :)

Well...I am not loaded, but I wanted a drive that I thought would give me the least amount of grief. So far, This will be my 3rd Plextor in a year and a half (and not real heavy use). I will say this though, the computer outlet that I deal with in Winnipeg (Canada) is OUTSTANDING. Not only did they give me a new 716 at store level, but they actually just gave me a 760 today! 6 monthes out of warranty, but due to the aggrevation that I have had! Plextor themselves told me to pound sand.

Anyway, it is installed, I will soon see if it was in fact the drive....drum role please.

Polopony, thanks I will set it at 2.4.

Later

Ok, it failed again at the layer break area (50% or so). I guess it wasnt the burner. I know that there are probably a bunch of programs out there that can help me get around this but what I would like to try first is to use Shrink and set the size to "Custom" at say 7790 or so to keep it well away from the edge. Now if I am going to burn with with Imgburn then I would assume that I would uncheck the box in Shrink's "output" that says "remove the layer break" so that it stays in tact. Then just proceed. I really do like Shrink as I think that it is simple and quite flexible.

If this doesnt work or isnt feasable can i use Pgcedit? I am just starting to use this program as well. Remember I am fairly new at this so simplicity would be appreciated. And FYI I have scoured the guides.

Thanks

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.