IMGBurn

Ittiandro

Try Alcohol 120% Free version.  I don't know if it supports mounting MDS or not, but it's worth a try.  And I think it's free version will let you mount images, but I've never tried it.  In fact, I haven't used Alcohol in like a decade.  I know Virtual CloneDrive, which I use, doesn't mount MDS files.

You could try creating a new .DVD or .MDS file under ImgBurn's Tools and point the new file to the .MDF file.  .DVD, I believe, is supported by Virtual CloneDrive.  Although a new .MDS file probably doesn't matter in this case.

1 hour ago, dbminter said:

Try Alcohol 120% Free version.  I don't know if it supports mounting MDS or not, but it's worth a try.  And I think it's free version will let you mount images, but I've never tried it.  In fact, I haven't used Alcohol in like a decade.  I know Virtual CloneDrive, which I use, doesn't mount MDS files.

You could try creating a new .DVD or .MDS file under ImgBurn's Tools and point the new file to the .MDF file.  .DVD, I believe, is supported by Virtual CloneDrive.  Although a new .MDS file probably doesn't matter in this case.

I had already downloaded  Alcohol120 free version  recently..  The installation process told me that I needed to restart the computer in order  to  continue. I did it, but I was  asked to restart  time and again in an endless loop and the installation never completed.  In the end,  I desisted .

I downloaded Alcohol  120 again a few moments ago, because I had virus problems and thought that may be this was the reason. To no avail! The same re-start  loop still kicks in. I wasted too much time. Better giving up.

Thanks

Ittiandro

Can't say why you'd end up in an infinite loop installing Alcohol.  I haven't installed it like 10 years, so I don't know how well the software still works.  And I was using a licensed version, so I've never tried installing the free version to see if it works.  Back then, there wasn't a free version.  I can't think of anything it might install that you'd need to reboot for, anyway.  There's nothing like Daemon Tool's SPTD that hooks into the system, as far as I know.

9 hours ago, LIGHTNING UK! said:

I'm pretty sure you can do basic mounting of images with DT Lite - for free.

It certainly let me when I just tried it.

Bull’s eye! It works with Daemon Tools Lite Virtual Drive. The first time it didn’t work because I was trying to burn the image to Virtual drive, which IS a paid option.

Also, I had converted ( or, better, reconverted!)  the .iso file to .mds with Winiso. I don’t know how I ended up with an .iso file for CD 6 only and not all the other CD’s, but  I had a hunch this may have been the   problem . Probably some wrong manipulation.

Anyway, this time I installed the virtual drive and mounted the ( converted) .mds file for CD 6 on it and the setup kicked in beautifully like for all the  previous Cd’s on the physical drive.

I learned a lot from this exchange. Often,  problems are the cause of progress’

Thank you all for your help.

Ittiandro

On 8/28/2018 at 8:36 PM, dbminter said:

What you apparently did was simply copy all 6 CD image files to the ISO.  While this isn't a total failure, all you can do with that disc is load each CD image file from the DVD in ImgBurn and burn them to CD's.   Or mount them in virtual CD drives from the DVD.

What you need to do is burn the CD image files to disc or mount them as virtual drives and copy the contents from the CDs, not the CD image files, to 6 temporary folders.

You were probably asked for a 2nd DVD because you burned the job twice, putting the burned ISO file into ImgBurn's queue for burning.

MDS is just a pointer to another file.  So, in your destination folder, the MDS was actually pointing to the ISO file that ImgBurn created.  For instance, with your original 6 CD image files, the MDS files point to the MDF file, which is actually the CD image file.  MDS just tells ImgBurn how to burn the MDF/ISO.

I'd like to mount all 6 Cd images on virtual drives,  but Daemon Tools Lite free version only allows one virtual drive. For more, I have to pa.. Alternatively can I  perhaps mount the 6 cd  img files (.mds) to the same Virtual drive?  How? I don't think I can do it with Daemon Tools or IMGBurn. Any suggestion?

Thanks

Ittiandro

Edited by Ittiandro

You can't mount multiple image files to the same virtual drive.

What you'll have to do since you're limited to one virtual drive on your system with Daemon Tools is to mount each image one at a time and copy each drive's contents from each image file one after the other into 6 separate temporary folders.

Alternatively, you could somehow convert the MDF files to ISO and install Virtual CloneDrive.  It's free software and lets you create multiple virtual drives.  It also mounts ISO files.  That might work, but the conversion from MDF to ISO might not work right.  I don't know.

Another idea that might work.  Virtual CloneDrive lets you mount what are called .DVD files.  ImgBurn has a Tool option to Create DVD file.  I don't know if .DVD files support .MDF image files or not, but instead of trying to convert from MDF to ISO first, it would be easier, if it works, to create a .DVD file and mount those in 6 separate Virtual CloneDrive drives.  I don't know if there's a limit to how many drives you can have beyond the maximum 26 that would be allowed.  And that number would be reduced by how many drives you have that show up in Windows/File Explorer.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.