TSSTcorp CDDVD SH-S202J SB03 won't read disc

dr_ml422

Handbrake will convert your Blu-ray into an mp4/mkv smaller than the original Blu-ray disc? Don't they come super huge, or that's just the blank Blu-ray discs? If the blanks come in BD-25, BD-50, that means the commercial discs have to be at least that large no? Honestly I don't know. I'm guessing here. If it does make them a manageable 2-3GB size that's a huge amount of compression. 

• Replies 666
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I can't think of a case where the container file is the same size as the source video.  I don't think there's a container format where it creates 1:1 video size.

A BD-25 doesn't necessarily have to be 25 GB.  My Alpocalypse HD Blu-Ray is like only half that size on its disc.

VSO has as I see an output default size for certain sized source files. If the source video is @ 2GB or a tad more, then their resulting DVD VTS Folder will be 3.94 GB or a tad less. So that's about 2GBs more than the source file. That'll almost always put it higher than a 4.7GB blank. Maybe I'll put 2 related source files on a DVD. It'll work out the same as using a DVD DL and adding more to that. 

I tested my external LITEON during a copying session, and let's just say I'll be using it more as a burner. It buzzes past my LG internal, though it was hooked up to ImgBurn. The LG was using another app. I have to load both burners in ImgBurn with comparable sources, and see how they fair. I'm waiting to see how LITEON'S external Blu-ray writer fairs. It hasn't been out that long.

If you want to check out a Conversion app that surprised me and I have it, checkout Power2Go. I tested the Video to AVC H.264 Blu-ray conversion and it buzzed through with an exceptionally great looking M2TS file in the BDMV folder. Their conversion from .mp4 etc... to DVD VTS is also faster and with exceptional output as well. Only thing no subtitle support, which I'm beginning to not mind much during conversion, and more towards afterwards in the same folder as you suggested. I wonder why none of the usual suspects in Video Conversion, Burning, Editing, etc... don't create some software that'll either snatch the sub out of the file or somehow create/get the correct fitting one to include with source?

My first BD burner was a LiteOn.  Complete junk.  Stopped writing to BD-RE after less than a month.  :angry:   Completely turned me off to LiteOn.  I used to use LiteOn DVD burners all the time, but, after that experience, I was tired of the other problem with LiteOn drives.  Randomly, when they burn DVD+R DL DVD Video discs, they will add pauses to the video playback that are not layer breaks!  :o  The BD burner was even worse at it, doing it 2 out of 3 times I burned DVD+R DL to them.  It's the drive doing it because you can take the same image, burn it again in the same LiteOn, and it won't have the pause in the same place... but a DIFFERENT one!  :rolleyes:

ConvertXToDVD handles subtitles in container files and from VIDEO_TS as input.

Yes I know it handles the subtitles already there. I meant when they weren't there as is the case with non VTS/Blu-ray commercial files. 

How fast is your FPS when converting Blu-ray or a 1080p file to DVD using ConvertXToDVD? They say that the original resolution from the source determines the speed of the conversion because of it going to DVD. I don't buy this because the same resolution within say a .AVI file gives me off the charts conversion speeds. Right now I'm hovering at 20.7 fps from a 1080p Blu-ray file. Most posts about this VSO basically ignores.

I don't know about ConvertXToVideo using Blu-Ray Video folders as a source as I've never tried importing one into ConvertXToDVD before.  My guess is given ToDVD's age, it doesn't support BD as a source option.  That's what ToVideo is for.  It's something worth trying, anyway.  Anyway, my point to say that was when I convert BD Video to MKV and MP4 in the past when allowed, the subtitles were always imported automatically.  But, that's importing from a container file, as you say, and not a BD Video source.

I don't really pay attention to things like FPS for conversion.  I just know your standard half hour will be done converting in ConvertXToDVD in about 10 to 15 minutes, depending on various factors.  And 90 minute movies in about 30, again given various factors.  Of course, there are always the weird standout candidates that do dumb things.  Like I've encountered some 45 minute containers that made greater than DVD-5 VIDEO_TS folders when converted.  :o

Ok now the program I was alluding to concerning the 1080p file is ConvertXtoDVD. It will support any incoming file or non-protected disc to convert to DVD. Are you converting your Blu-ray titles into MP4/MKV before throwing that into ConvertXToDVD? There's no need as you can put the Blu-ray folder/file into ConvertXToDVD and straight away have it make you a DVD. The only thing you can't import is commercially protected disc, DVD or not. Everything else it mainly imports including Blu-ray containers. 

Unless you have more than 4 cores on your rig, there's no way a 90 minute movie unless Avi or other than 1080p/Blu-ray will pop out in 1/2 an hour. ConvertXToDVD especially with full high-definition 1080p Blu-ray files will not hover over 40 FPS during conversion. The faster it processes any file, and the only way it can do that is by upping the FPS during conversion, the faster you'll get the output DVD folder etc... 

ConvertXtoVideo is nothing but ConvertXToDVD in reverse kind of. It will take w/e file and convert it to w/e file, including a DVD. 

What I suggested was looking into Power2Go which as I mentioned does import MP4/MKV etc... and create a Blu-ray file that burns to DVD disc in the M2TS folder using the AVC H.264 codec. You're converting original Blu-ray folders into MP4/MKV correct? Then converting that to DVD? You could either throw that ripped Blu-ray straight into ConvertXToDVD or take that same Blu-ray folder and convert it to a playable AVC file on DVD. This way it'll play since Sony plays as is and DVD is playable.

How much smaller do your Blu-ray files get after MP4/MKV conversion? ConvertXToDVD as I mentioned will almost add 2GB to a 1GB mp4 when finished processing to DVD. 

ConvertXToDVD also as I've read has to be closed after a while and a cleaning must take place in our PC, as it does collect remnant leftovers and then slow down. I just finished doing that earlier after I posted those slow FPS speeds. It went up to about 35 FPS, and still took more than a half hour to output the DVD file. I'm definitely going big on my next build to see the difference if any. The source file determines ConvertXToDVD speeds, not the build as much as it seems it should.

Good to know ConvertXToDVD will accept BD Video folder for input.  I never tried it before but I intended to give it a test sometime.  Now that I know it works, I'm more inclined to try testing it on my end to make sure.  Not that I doubt you, but I like to verify things on my own.  If so, then no need to convert Blu-Ray to MKV first and then to DVD.  Because I mostly only needed to do that with European BD's that weren't released in the US.

It's entirely possible to get a 90 minute movie to a DVD in 30 minutes.  I do it all the time.  Maybe it's my hardware acceleration.  Maybe you're using 2 pass encoding, which I find too buggy now.  Plus, I'm not encoding high definition video to DVD.  What I've got are containers made from DVD's of home movies I converted from VHS to DVD.  So, needless to say, they aren't high definition.  And if I used DVD Video for input from a commercial DVD, who knows how long that would take?

I never created high video quality, e.g. 1080p, containers from the Blu-Ray I converted.  I purposefully left the conversion at 740x480, knowing they'd go to DVD.  If I used the Blu-Ray Video folder as an input source and used high quality container creation, the files may have been much larger.  My 740x480 DVD quality files were about 750 MB to 900 MB.

Just tried importing a Blu-Ray into ConvertXToDVD.  I had a homemade Blu-Ray movie so I didn't have to worry about ripping anything.  And ConvertXToDVD DID import it!  :o  I did not expect that would work, given the software's age.  That it would not be a viable feature to get you to buy ConvertXToVideo instead.

I'm glad you discovered that! Yes they have ConvertXtoVideo and that's mainly for any file format to any file format including DVD Video VTS. Though it will only do Main Title with DVD output which sometimes is limiting.

ConvertXtoVideo also outputs larger files than other conversion software, especially I noticed with .MP4 using H.264 AAC. They say because of the quality, though that's not necessarily true. MP4 H.264 is about the most efficient in converting to smaller file sizes and keeping close to original quality. 

Since you do Blu-ray that Video option in Power2Go that burns an AVC H.264 to DVD as a M2TS folder with x.v. color is great. I played one with VLC. Unbelievable clarity and they use their TrueTheater Color for true to life optimization. When I say burns I also mean it converts/reauthors the input file then burns it to DVD.

Reason I even mention this is because I'm looking for a workaround to include subtitles in my final copy. Power2Go doesn't have external/importing subtitle support. I'm creating some files with the subtitles burnt into them, and then will convert them to DVD Video VTS using Power2Go. I can then burn that ama I want using Imgburn. The conversion/burning time is equal or faster depending input/output file options/format. That 1080p Blu-ray file I converted/burned to AVC H.264 M2TS took about 15 minutes more or less.

That's great timing! What's your specs on your build? I'm working with an Asus M2N-E mobo with a dual core AMD 2.6GHz CPU. It's not bad, though I do need to upgrade. Windows 10 is playing better with updated hardware and even suggests/recommends it. Wouldn't support my old burner.  Ram I'm at 8GB DDR2 Dual Channel. I started with AMD and just can't switch. I will definitely be upgrading soon, and will max out the supported Ram on the Mobo. I really do see a much better experience since I added 4 more GBs of RAM to fill it up. Mobo, RAM, and CPU as I have everything else. New PSU also.

Specs of my Dell XPS 8930 PC:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/servicetag/cqfvqp2/configuration

I opted for the SSD and Blu-Ray burner upgrades.  So, I've got an SSD and mechanical HDD as well.  I could probably get faster DVD creation if I created the output to the SSD instead of the spinning HDD, but I don't want to use up finite writes on "temporary" files.  In fact, the mechanical HDD is entirely for temporary files like DVD and ImgBurn file creation.

No wonder you have a monster build! Dell too which I'm a fan. Believe me it's because of your build that ConvertXToDVD is buzzing! You have six cores and that means all six will be working on anything you do, especially single file inputs. If you want you could put upto six different input files, though ConvertXToDVD will not put them out individually. It will think you're creating a DVD out of all of them. If small sized yes you would have a very decent DVD output.

You're lucky! You have Cyberlink software that came with your Dell. Power2Go is usually included in there as it is part of their products line. If so, open it, go to Video Disc option and select the AVC H.264 mp4 output to DVD disc. You're going to love it! It will take those Home movies and create a very nice playable M2TS file on DVD which is awesome. I found them exactly like that through bundled software that came with my LG Burner.

All night I was fussing with a Blu-ray 1080p file that for w/e reason ConvertXtoVideo erred out, as did another software. It's an unusual file because although that it's Blu-ray, it's in 1920-800p instead of 1920-1080p. These programs have a flaw because it shouldn't matter what the original input is, it should convert it to whatever. I had to throw it inside ConvertXToDVD and put out a DVD. I wanted a MP4 file with burnt in subs so I could use Power2Go and convert it to DVD Video. Their outputs are better because of the TrueTheater etc...

Way to go with the Dell! I might be wrong, though I think Intel might just work better with these programs. If for no other reason than they first created CPUs, for the most part.

Yeah, I paid a fairly high price, too, for this PC.  About $1,000.  But, I've always believed if you're going to go for it, go for the best you can afford.  Future proof it as much as possible.  I almost paid the extra price for the Professional version of Windows 10 because I wanted to try out Bitlocker partition encryption protection.  I decided in the end not to, though.

I've been a fan of Dell PC's since my first one in 2011; have used nothing but them since.  They're a bit of a beast to work around inside of, though.  For instance, I had to remove the graphics card in one just to access the SATA ports on the mobo to add a 2nd optical drive.  And you have to remove the bezel to swap out optical drives.  Which was why for the last 2 Dell's I had where I cracked open the case, I simply left off the bezel afterwards.

I believe ConvertXToDVD, on its own, can process 8 different input files at one time.  Meaning, if you have 9 or more input files, the first 8 all get converted at the same time.  As old files finish, new ones in the queue get added one at a time.  And I believe there's a software setting where you can change how many files get processed simultaneously.  Though I'd think if you increased it beyond the default value, processing speed would be affected as a result.

I've heard of Power2Go as having come pre-installed on Dell's and with some of the Cyberlink software CD's I got with various BD burner drives.  I never installed it or always uninstalled Power2Go if it came pre-installed because I didn't know what it did and didn't see my ever using it.

A build would of cost maybe as much as that prebuilt Dell. The most expensive being the Intel CPU/SSDs/GPU. I have that same GPU except the regular GTX1050. It's their best Budget card.

ConvertXToDVD will only process w/e it's settings are made out to at one time. It will read your CPU and configure it to the number of cores available. So since I have 2 cores it processes 2 inputs at one time splitting the FPS between both. Since you have 6 cores it'll process 6 files simultaneously and split the FPS between them. Now you can I think configure it for more simultaneous conversions, though in your case anything after 6 is definitely going to affect the FPS, and consequently time of conversion.

They just got back to me because of several crashes, and they determined it was because of the Hardware Optimization. Regarding ConvertXtoVideo. They gave me a link to some other build and said that should fix it. I'm definitely thinking they're about to update either one or both sometime soon. it can't keep on going back and forth with all these crashes and bugs and not do so. What they should do and what I suggested is to just support the most recent updated apps and forget about the older ones because then everything gets all screwy especially when it comes to guides and support. Windows 10 does that now because Microsoft decided to support more recent hardware and forget about all that old legacy stuff. Which I think was the best move they made. 

I'm struggling to go with Intel as my CPU. My first computer was a Dell also and it was very good to me. :thumbup:

Please don't throw out that CyberLink software as I did the same thing many times not knowing that they are a very very reputable company! When you install it decide what you want yes. I would stay with Power2Go if it's included and they're Wave Editor app which takes care of ripping audio CDs etc etc. Actually both of them do it but I think Wave Editor has different functions. You be very surprised when you open up power2go and see that AVC video to DVD option as I've been pointing to. And you'll be very very surprised at the final results! It also has I think the ability to rip audio out of video which I think you've done also. Which a lot of people I see are into as I've been on the web lately researching some other related things. They make PowerDVD so it might have a strip down version included. Either way you won't go wrong trust me.

I do use PowerDVD.  It's the one thing I keep installed from Cyberlink if it comes pre-installed.  And if it's not, I will use one of my included bundled versions from the discs included wtth things like my LG BD burners.  They're pretty old versions, though.  Plus, the problem with them and the bundled versions is they're generally crippled and don't support playing back Blu-Ray discs... even though they come included bundled with BD drives!  :rolleyes:   I used to use PowerDVD as my go to DVD player about a decade ago.  I've since moved on to newer freeware with Media Player Classic Home Cinema.  Although it doesn't play Blu-Ray, but I use Leawo's free Blu-Ray player for that.   But, I rarely play Blu-Ray on my PC, just on my PS3.

Unfortunately, ConvertXToDVD is relatively useless for converting Blu-Ray discs.  Regardless of what you load, the software ONLY loads the main title stream.  You can select other MTS's that are not part of the main title stream, but ConvertXToDVD ALWAYS loads ONLY the main title stream.  This makes the software relatively useless for what I need it to do, which is convert an entire Blu-Ray's contents to DVD.  So, it's back to using Handbrake and my old method of converting to containers first.  :angry:

Yes I feel your frustration believe me! Convert x to DVD is plain and simply a quick fix to get a DVD out of some other file, though it does have its limitations. What you can try to do is when you load the Blu-ray folder see if there's an option to merge all the files together right there and then that are in the input window. Right click and see if the option is there. Also go into the settings and see if there's a setting that maybe the default has for just picking main title. Another thing you can try is in the editing window where you can add subtitles and audio and all that click on the plus sign next to the video and see if you can add something else and just throw the whole file in there and see what it will pick up.

There's an option in CyberLink Power2Go to create Video DVDS. If it's included with your PC definitely give it a try. It will convert and burn your M2TS folder to a DVD Video VTS folder. 

VSO sent me the download link to another version or whatever because it wouldn't convert a regular Blu-ray mp4 file that I had which it should have no problem with.they said the issue was with the hardware optimization and so they said that the version they sent me should fix that. It's full of bugs! Many many bugs! And I already suggested to them to just update the most recent version and forget about all those old versions because they're wasting a lot of time and all that. That's what Windows 10 did basically they just playing around with newer Hardware making it better to work with. I have yet to install it because I'm playing around with the new VidCoder which if you haven't got a chance you should install and give it a try because it's really banging!

WinXDVDAuthor is free. Give it a play. It works very well when it works.

Edited by dr_ml422
Misspelling

Unfortunately, ConvertXToDVD is relatively useless for converting Blu-Ray discs.  Regardless of what you load, the software ONLY loads the main title stream.  You can select other MTS's that are not part of the main title stream, but ConvertXToDVD ALWAYS loads ONLY the main title stream.  This makes the software relatively useless for what I need it to do, which is convert an entire Blu-Ray's contents to DVD.  So, it's back to using Handbrake and my old method of converting to containers first.  default_angry.gif

That's what convertxtoBD is for ;-) or video converter ultimate depending on your need

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 6P met Tapatalk

That's what I was wondering.  If the newer ConvertXToBD did what I was trying to describe.  Why should the older software support it when they can sell you a newer one?  :wink:  I can always install the trial version and check to see that it loads all the BD contents when the index.bdmv file is selected.  Since it apparently will convert to VIDEO_TS and handles DVD VIDEO_TS input, it could potentially replace my ConvertXToDVD.

As for trying to get ConvertXToDVD to read in full BD's, it is probably just designed not to do that.  I doubt there's any setting to change or any sort of tinkering in the interface that will get it to work.

I've been trying to find out what is it exactly that's going on with ConvertXToDVD and BD file. I've thrown in some Blu-ray Rip's that were an mp4 file and had no problem re-encoding them with the subtitles put in. That's different, oh than a total Blu-ray file. Now if ConvertXToDVD does not include Blu-ray files when they say Convert X, which means that Blu-ray is not included in that X, then you're right they might want others to buy a different software for that. Listen you could get around all this simply by using the new VidCoder which will grab Blu-rays, DVDs, or whatever whether in disc form and not and convert it to an mp4. Yes I know it's the same thing as what you were doing before but maybe actually might just be simpler. Now I have the ConvertXtoVideo software and I'm not sure if putting in a Blu-ray folder would include everything. I do know that when you put in a DVD and it might have separate titles on that DVD it gives you an option to merge all the titles and then convert into whatever format. I've been using the MP4 format so I don't know if it will do that with the DVD format because remember DVD will only take so much compression and what not. Next time Matilda Blu-ray folder file or whatever inside convertxtovideo go to any plus signs or whatever that are on on the main interface and see if you can click and see whatever else it attached to that file. If it did then just right to it and see if you have an option to merge everything together to that one file and create a DVD out of it. Try the trial of ConvertXtoVideo and see what happens with a Blu-ray to DVD conversion. I would do it on my end but I don't have any true Blu-ray files or folders with me. 

I'm having a similar problem with VIdcoder. I put in a DVD folder and it actually has four, five different titles on it in vob files. Now since I didn't check the window next to the first file I didn't know that they were actual titles in there and so when I encoded the DVD folder it actually just encoded the first title. so I have to include all the titles into the encoding job at the bottom in the queue. Only thing is it will output seven different MP4 titles without merging them. Convert X to video does a real beautiful job of merging all the titles and converting them to MP4. It actually stays with the original audio and video resolution as well. So you just might want to look into that ConvertXtoVideo and check it out. if you do decide to get it, go straight for the recent Beta version because they fix the hardware encoding optimization option. It is buzzing now where before it was only at 30 frames per second I'm getting 230.6 frames per second from DVD to MP4 conversion. VIdCoder is 64bit and using multi-threading. It really is about the best freeware h.264 encoding app out there.

I spoke too soon about the convertxtovideo better regarding the merging of the files. The hardware optimization was fixed from the previous stable version though the output file was terrible! Basically unreadable! So I'm going to have to use something else to convert these videos to MP4 and then merge them, or convert them individually and then merge them.

It has a whole set of issues on its own apart from convert X to DVD and so I think they're just working on all the issues before they bring out another gold stable version. I tried the Beta and like I said the output file was horrendous! The video conversion speed went almost ten times that of what it normally did but it didn't pan out with the output file. So I'm staying with the stable version which is the one you're using for now until they get things straightened out. I emailed them let them know they needed some log files or whatever though I seriously doubt that any log files will be able to fix something that has to do with the Hardware Optimization. Let me know what happens when you load your Blu-ray file/folder. If all the titles show up just select all of them,  then click on the first one then right click and choose merge all selected files. There's an option to merge all titles to the selected one, though I forgot how I came across it. 

I seriously suggested that they put up a new guide as well because of the obvious reasons. They have so many outdated versions with so many different guides and it just doesn't make any sense. Basically if anyone doesn't have the most updated version it's not going to be working as well with what's going on today which makes common sense to anyone who has common sense. You know the old saying, "common sense ain't too common anymore".

You did the right thing getting that new build because Windows 10 is optimized for newer Hardware and that's why I soon here will be pulling the trigger on some new stuff myself. I'm going to have to update everything besides my two burners and my DVD docking station that's USB 3.0. I use my HDTV as my screen so I'm not going to do anything on that. I'm too used to it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.