TSSTcorp CDDVD SH-S202J SB03 won't read disc

dr_ml422

That and the email I received from one of the inside persons also describing how he has Financial issues at the moment is a lot of information right now. Dvdstyler which is a free open gnl software has a 64-bit version so I'm pretty sure he could put it together. it's not a different application they both more or less do the same thing. He was going through a divorce and probably taking him to the cleaners.

They should of stayed on top of all this from the get go. What I liked about vso is that they brought out individual apps for everything that was needed at the time and didn't come out with an all-in-one solution as DVD Fab did. Those don't really work out that great all the time and you're constantly having to fix things up as opposed to having individual apps and already knowing what's going on specifically within each one. That's my input into that situation.

• Replies 666
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Damn! I just read up on the whole thing! 32 million cash? That's cheap! They must of been losing money somehow. I mean with storage so cheap now discs are not a prime choice. Well, they should have Stock left over, so maybe snatching some now wouldn't be a bad idea. Well we could just hope they keep the manufacturing process the same. 

Thanks for this info.

Well I just ordered 1k of the DVD+R, next up will then another 1k if they're the right MID a little later, and some printable bd-r's when the Bitcoin price goes up. So the little I have is worth more and I can snap up a couple hundred of those too

That said, I'm on the fence on this one. I fully expect quality to drop and I'm prepping for it, but just maybe, now that they'll have the patents, technology, their crappy quality will increase and become the new verbatim (or remain if they keep the brand alive)

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

It really is an iffy proposition.  Mitsubishi made the quality discs for Verbatim, since they apparently never made their own media.  They always farmed out to Mitsubishi and CMC.  If Mitsubishi doesn't see a profit in making the media anymore, I doubt they'll make them for CMC anymore, either.

If I could afford to and had the space to store them, I'd buy 2,000 quality Verbatim DVD+R, too, along with 2,000 DVD+R DL and 2,000 BD-R.  I need to buy some DVD+R DL next month so I'll see if it's left overstock of the good stuff or, if it's changed, if it's CMC :horse:

Tomorrow, I'm expecting an Amazon.com order to arrive... IF USPS delivers it to my house!  :rolleyes:  In that order is a stack of 50 DataLife Plus DVD+R.  I ordered them before I heard Verbatim was sold to CMC.  So, it will be a good test to see if I get the MCC stuff.  It could be left over stock or it could be all new stock made by CMC!  >:p

CMC will be making them though they could be using Mitsubishi formula and dyes so it's almost as if Mitsubishi is making them. the only thing that happens is that CMC quality control is not as rigid as verbatim. If you think about it there's no point in CMC buying anything from anyone unless they themselves are going to make a profit. So while they might not be 100% quality as verbatim they should be in the lower to mid-90s at least if they're going to give 36 million dollar cash to Mitsubishi to continue the process. CMC does have a bad rap, though that bad rap is filtered with a lot of bias. I never heard of any business that was in business to not have any business if that makes any sense. If it was trash all the time CMC would have been out of business a long long time ago. It's just like with jvc's rebranding of the taiyo yudens. They wouldn't of went ahead and made that acquisition if they themselves weren't going to make a profit. You shouldn't have any problem with the Blu-ray disc that's a whole different kind of Technology and there's really little room for total catastrophe there.

They're still in business because they sell a ton, just because you sell a lot doesn't make it good. Cmc crap is known to become unreadable after months or a few years, fail to verify immediate after a disc gets burned, playback of the disc flat out refused but standalone players,...

My verbatim burns have none of that. I have movies I burned 10 years ago, still perfect picture from start to finish, playback refusal? I've yet to encounter a standalone player that refuses one.

It's not just about how much you sell, it's also about how long your backups hold over time, the quality. If you need to redo the backup every year, because the disc fails to play, who's doing the financial winning here?

Yes, because of the constant reburns, they'll sell a lot more discs. But the consumer loses on the long run because they have to buy new discs constantly.

The quality of the real verbatim is more expensive than cmc crap, but for a reason. They're a lot better, and last longer too. That's what counts for me

Plus, CMC sells more because they're cheaper.  But, there's a reason why they're so much cheaper.  Then, when people realize the meaning of that old Spanish saying, "The cheap comes out expensive," they switched to the better quality DataLife Plus media.  But, now, that option will probably fly right out of the window!

The best hope we have is that CMC buys the Verbatim brand and name and continues to outsource to Mitsubishi for the actual creation of DataLife Plus media.  But, we all know the real deal.  CMC will just slap Verbatim's good name onto its crap, like they did when JVC bought out Taiyo Yuden.  JVC apparently just slapped the good TY brand name on CMC garbage.

I wonder if TDK still makes their own DVD+R DL.  The only other brand of DVD+R DL I ever found to be any good were the ones made by TDK.  After 2 years, they were still readable, unlike the Office Depot branded ones from Ritek I experimented with.

Panasonic used to make a quality DVD-R back when I can remember paying $11 a disc in 2002!  :greedy:  I wonder if they make DVD+R, if they still make it, and if they still make quality or just farmed out to CMC.

My first DVD+R DL's from Verbatim DataLife Plus that I made in 2008 are still playable today.  I have one disc I watch every Halloween night.  It was made on a quality Verbatim DVD+R DL and was still playable as of last year.

It shows the slow and gradual death of optical media.  They don't include optical drives in a lot of new PC's nowadays.  They're gradually phasing out DVD for new movies.  The sale of recordable discs shows how $36 million is seen a good deal now for Mitsubishi.  With everyone streaming today their movies and TV shows, optical disc is dying.  Everyone downloads their software now so there's no market for physical discs.  CD's are dying because everyone is streaming. 

It's really a sad time for anyone who wants to actually OWN something instead of renting it.  I refuse to streaming anything because I want to own a physical copy.  If I can't own a copy on my end, I don't want it.  With streaming, they can take away your "license" at any time, bring it back at a higher price point, and force you to buy it back again.  No deal as far as this guy is concerned!

Got my most recent order of DVD+R's made before I found out about the Verbatim sale to CMC.  These had the disc label of MCC, which leads one to believe they're the quality stuff.  Are they left over stock, though?  Or, are they CMC's typical junk just given the DID of MCC to make them look good?  :unknown:  Anyone can put anything in the DID filed, and I wouldn't put it past CMC to use trickery with the DID's to pass off their garbage under a good brand name.

I should know in about a week if the ones I ordered are legit or not. I didn't know about the sale until I read about it on the redfox forums. I was down to my last 50 discs, so when I read that, didn't hesitate for a minute and ordered them. 2 months since the sale probably won't have stocks deplete and be replaced by cmc crap.

When they pan out, I'm ordering more

This came at a bad time for me right now. I just came back from vacation and I just bought a new bed. So I have to see what I get into with this whether I decide to just use quality hard drives and forget about the discs, which I don't like because I do like to have the physical copy myself. 

I'm half tempted to post a picture of the room where I store all my computer stuff to show you how much of a premium space is.  :)  But, you're right about it being only being 20 spindles of 50 each.  I didn't do the math to see how many spindles that would be.  And Amazon.com has 50 spindle DVD+R's for like $20, so that's $400.

As for the BD-R's, you can get 50 of the quality stuff for like $36 on Amazon.com.  So, for 1,000, that's (1,000 / 50 ) x $36.  That's $720!  :o

400$ for 1k? Lol, I buy them online, they're €14,53/50. That's 290. Ordered them through a buddy of mine's business so that knocked another 21% off or because they come from another eu country (means no vat). Which knocked them down to 240.

Mailed them if they can get the bd's too. The branded printable ones are relatively cheap, but if you want the really good stuff. Professional grade (datalife plus, printable, no ID, aka no verbatim marking on them) things become expensive.

Amazon.com always adds the cost of shipping to their items.  So, it never pays to pay for additional shipping on top.  It's always best to gather $25 together for an order since Amazon.com is already factoring in the shipping in the cost for so called "free" shipping.  Thus, Amazon.com is initially more expensive, but on par with other online shops which will charge shipping.  And you can really only get the good stuff here in the States online.  Don't know about elsewhere, but, here, you have to order them online.

An interesting question.  Verbatim had an online web store for ordering their discs.  I wonder if it will still be up with CMC now the owner.  I would bet ordering from them would prove relatively soon if CMC is shipping their CMC crap as DataLife Plus.

1 hour ago, dbminter said:

Got my most recent order of DVD+R's made before I found out about the Verbatim sale to CMC.  These had the disc label of MCC, which leads one to believe they're the quality stuff.  Are they left over stock, though?  Or, are they CMC's typical junk just given the DID of MCC to make them look good?  :unknown:  Anyone can put anything in the DID filed, and I wouldn't put it past CMC to use trickery with the DID's to pass off their garbage under a good brand name.

Which ones did you get, the regular DVD+R good stuff of datalifeplus better stuff?

Yes the verbatim store is still up, though with limited stock on their items there.

Edited by dr_ml422
Xtra info.

There is no 'regular good stuff'. It's either the 'regular stuff' (possible chance of being good/ probably cmc crap), life series stuff (crap for sure) or the 'good stuff' being datalife plus. Which isn't cheap

The verbatim branded DVD + R are good and their MCC. Now the data life plus only come in inject printable or those other surfaces, I haven't seen them in regular verbatim branded stuff if you know what I mean. So which one did you get did you get the white inkjet printable or did you get the data life plus shiny silver?

OIC what you're saying.  There is a sub-brand of the good stuff called AZO.  AZO is the branded surface Verbatim good media you're referring to.  I've had those before as well.  DataLife Plus is what I get in inkjet label surfaces, and those are what I just received today.  DataLife Plus Verbatim DVD+R inkjet printable surface.

I still have some left over AZO Verbatim DVD-R back from when I was exclusively using DVD-R before I switched to DVD+R.  I use the branded ones for temporary backups I don't want to keep.

My experience has been AZO discs are good.  They have the MCC DID on them, which means Mitsubishi supposedly made them.  However, of course, DID's can be whatever the manufacturer wants to make of them.

I actually never noticed before that the DataLife Plus discs were only printable surface media.  Inkjet and thermal labels.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.