dr_ml422

• Replies 666
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

VSO has been trying to get me to buy the ConvertToDVD license for future updates. Only thing is that unless it's something major like going to 64 bit, I don't need to buy it for now. According to them 64 bit is needed for conversion of certain High-Def files, though I stand to differ. Some apps will not benefit much from 64 bit if at all. 

You're right about LG. They take forever. I mean how difficult is it to swap my drive with one that doesn't automatically bitset? ASUS also, though getting back to me, haven't been able to confirm whether their burners automatically bitset. Can I check here and see what drives are bitsetting? I know ASUS isn't included in ImgBurn's list, though that doesn't mean it doesn't bitset.

I'm going to check VSO's site and see what they did with ConvertXToDVD.

Thanks for the update.

If you're looking for a BD drive, I would highly recommend you PASS on ASUS's current model, the BW-16D1HT.  I tried 2 different units of the latest model and they both did the same thing: destroy DVD+RW and BD-RE!  :o  I've had 3 ASUS BD drives: one USB and 2 units of the same internal model.  The USB model was great.  The latest internal model was trash.  Maybe the firmware update released in the intervening 3 years fixed the problem, but you only get 1 chance to make a first impression with me.

Interestingly enough, when I check VSO's forums for new posts over the last 2 days, there are none!  :huh:  I only learned of the new updates from softexia.com.

VSO seems to have released 2 more application updates versioned 4.0.0.98: VSO Blu-Ray To DVD and VSO Blu-Ray to MKV.  However, since these applications all relatively do the same thing, just with different output formats, it makes sense.

The external ASUS was one of th hose those slim ones? Because that's all they have now.

VSO is way behind when it comes to encoding . They haven't even incorporated HEVC yet. I don't need their software for my hi-def files. There's too many paid and freeware that do a great job. I

I might just get a Pioneer Burner, although they don't hit 24x on any of them besides CDs.

No, the external ASUS I had was a half height drive.  And ASUS makes an external USB of the BW-16D1HT.  It's just the internal half height BW-16D1HT drive put into an external USB enclosure.

Given the :horse: I've had to put with from LG and Pioneer, I may be willing to try ASUS again with the latest firmware update installed.  If it no longer destroys rewritable media, I'd be willing to try swapping in one of the BW-16D1HT into my enclosure in place of the Pioneer BDR-212DBK.

What happened with LG again? All of a sudden they stopped supporting a certain disc format? My 2 spindles from Amazon are still MCC. So I guess they still have a large surplus left. I ordered a burner from Amazon. I took a chance on an offshoot. I usually do good so lets see. It's a 24x Piodata. 

Wow! And I truly believe everything you say because LG seems like they don't understand English at all! They keep playing this email volleyball act with me trying to ask me what I did or what I tried to do regarding the issue at hand with my burner! I just finished replying to the swap coordinator that I didn't and couldn't do anything and that's why I want a new burner that is not set to default bit setting or booktype to DVD minus ROM. They automatically set most of their drives at least the internal ones to automatically bit set. I don't mind if they had the option to do so any of the software is available as image burn kind and Nero etc etc. I just don't want it to be a default action that I can't do anything about. I just tried the disc that my light on burnt and didn't booktype to dvd minus ROM and they played just fine in my DVD player. So basically my DVD player plays dvd plus r just fine. Now I must admit if it didn't play the DVD plus r then I would need to booktype, but then again it would be my option to do so when needed. I'm waiting for my new drive it should be here tomorrow. I did some information checking up on the company and they seem to be straight up. These people just don't understand English well! I have this problem when I go to my Pharmacy where I live. You tell them one thing and they process it another way thinking that it's the correct way. I just want them to fix this. I don't care where they come from!

I didn't have any problems getting my drive swapped with LG.  It was a relatively painless experience, so I can't relate to yours.  What LG does ALL the time that irritates me is whenever I tell them of firmware problems, they always ask for my name, address, etc. "for our records."  I just tell them they already HAVE it, which a simple search would have returned.  They then DO search their records after I tell them and verify they already have it.  I also get pissed off when I tell LG and Pioneer of firmware updates they need to make.  They tell me they will forward my "suggestions" to their engineers... who promptly IGNORE it and NEVER update the firmware problems.  :angry:

They're doing the same thing here and that's what I'm talkin about basically! They keep asking me for the same information over and over like trying to see how much further we're going to put up with it before we just say the heck with it and forget about it. It's a stalling technique that a lot of companies use believe me. It's not anything innocent that they're doing on their part at all. I just finished telling the guy listen you're wasting all this time with all this back and forth emailing when all you had to do was send me another drive that doesn't default to dvd minus ROM. The latest Shenanigans was that they tried to tell me that DVD decrypter changes the bit set and he showed me where in the window it shows that you could change it to normal though he never ever showed what happens when you click next. As we all know and as I posted when you click next it tells you it's not authorized whatever whatever information. An Unofficial command or whatever the hell it it says anyway. I told him why don't you just keep on showing what it does. Now he says he's going to try to see if they have something in their Arsenal that doesn't book type 2 dvd minus ROM. My new drive should be here either late tonite or tomorrow for sure, so I'll be good. I'm seriously thinking about the external enclosures as it's a cinch to swP in and out I presume. Point me towards one so I can see what they're about.  Thanks.

Unfortunately, for BD drives, you need a USB 3.0 enclosure, and there are only 2 options.  The VanTec and the Other World Computing.  Both have their drawbacks.  VanTec is cheap, Chinese made stuff.  First one I had kept dropping communication with the drive.  The one I currently have is a few months old but it's still working.  Other World Computing's model has an annoying habit that when you first connect it, Windows WON'T recognize it until you restart Windows!  :o  And if you power off the drive, Windows won't recognize it's powered back on until you restart Windows!  :rolleyes:  The VanTec is easier to swap drives into and out of, too.  If you have a write that goes bad, the VanTec will just drop communication with the device.  With the Other World Computing model, you will, at least, generally get an abend error from the device.

So, with all that said, I'd recommend the VanTec, but be sure to thoroughly test the one you get to make sure it works right because you may need to send it back.

VanTech: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MRUN0HQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Other World Computing: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XRCCV44/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you were looking for more speed by putting internal in an external enclosure, nowadays the straight BD external drives are supposedly hitting 16x BD-R or whatever the format is. If it's build quality, though slim etc... they're pretty well built. Only thing different would be the length of the USB cable, though most likely you're using a USB hub?

Amazon pulled a $5.00 credit for delivery coming Monday now instead of last night. So I'm down to using my external LITEON since I pulled the LG out ready for Swap.

I was referring to your using an enclosure instead of buying a 3.0 etxernal, seeing you would still have to insert it. I figured the longer cable was why because the ones without enclosure have shirt cabkes that without an extension would limit you to where you would use it.

On the Verbatim DVD+DL they MID at MKM-003-00, though they don't seem as weighty as the other ones. So I think they just might be CMC afterall. Yup, these are definitely not original Verbs! Let's see how they play. I just burned one using the new PIODATA DVD-RW DVR-221D 

I'm getting low on my DVD+R's that won't work with the LG WH16NS60.  I'm thinking of switching back to Verbatim DataLife Plus MCC DVD-R's.  See if they still work with the NS60.  I'll swap in the NS60 for a test and see if they do.  If they do work, I'll swap out the Pioneer BDR-212 for it and just stick with DVD-R like I used to for backwards compatibility.

If they DON'T work, there are other options.  Supposedly, JVC, when they bought out Taiyo Yuden, released a JVC Pro brand of disc that is TY quality.  I can try those, see if they work and if they're decent quality, if they're inkjet printable.  I can always try the ASUS again with the latest firmware update to it and see if it still destroys rewritable media.  If it doesn't, it can be a candidate to swap in.

Yes I thought about JVC myself. I bought them way back when they took over, the regular DVD-R blanks and they ere good. You should try and see if the DVD-R work just for informational purposes, and bring it up with LG. They haven't responded to my last email where I told them it was a waste of time volleyball emailing, and that since I'm paying for the swap, what's the issue? The issue could be they don't have any recent drives that don't bitset by default and don't want to tweak the firmware. Because since I'm paying another model would do.

The second new disc from the bundle was as heavy as usual, so let's see how they do. I had only one coaster at 6x DVD DL using the LITEON. I don't know if that's their max for DL.

ASUS got back to me. According to their engineering department their drives shouldn't be bitsetting automatically. I had an ASUS before. It just became obsolete with Windows 10.

The PIODATA is doing just fine! Sometimes it's better to just get the OEM as they're making most of them anyway. As data my DVD won't play. I have to burn it as DVD video, or straight from iso without anything else like the mp4, mkv equivalent. Some software will produce a DVD video despite another file being present. I'll bring this up in the forum as a recommendation. It'll be a good one imo.

There have to be certain specifications met before a DVD Video will play: 1.) the presence of a VIDEO_TS folder  2.) a DVD Video compliant structure in the files in the VIDEO_TS folder 3.) certain file system requirements, like, I think, ISO9960.

You can put other files in the root directory besides the VIDEO_TS folder.  I'm not entirely sure what you meant by "Some software will produce a DVD video despite another file being present" though.

ImgBurn will only burn asis and so even though you have a compliant DVD structure, when it burns it will burn it as UDF and that's the culprit with some players. Ut will be seen fine and play in a PC, though not in my Magnavox DVD player. Now some software will recognize there's a DVD video and burn it as such even with an added file as you mentioned. It'll play the DVD just fine. I tried both as an .iso and DVD folder with VTS folder inside with their mp4/mkv counterpart, and both times the DVD would not play. However on another software it recognizes the VTS folder and changes the burning to DVD video per your option. Now with an .iso this same software will burn asis and produce a UDF file that won't play in my player. I started doing your trick if adding the mp4/mkv along with the DVD to save space. Great idea! Just can't use ImgBurn to do it. If you have ket me know, and of course the player has a lot to do with it. So maybe your PlayStation plays the UDF file?

Actually no it won't burn 'as is' when it comes to file format. It's fully capable of doing auto-correct when it detects incompatibility between structure and file system. Mine does, maybe reset settings/dialog prompts to have it ask again

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.