TSSTcorp CDDVD SH-S202J SB03 won't read disc

dr_ml422

Hey guys, I just experienced something after converting one of my files to .mkv where it wouldn't play because of Hardware Digital Rights Management? Now how the heck did this happen since the original file was in .mp4 and played just fine with every player including VLC, MPC-HC, VSO, and even Movies&TV? Is Microsoft doing this in Windows 10 in the background? Believe me the original .mp4 plays just fine. It can't be a HEVC issue since all my other .mkv files that I converted play just right as well.

Received a 50pk tub of AcePlus DVD+R DL 8x and must say they look very solid. Now to burn and post back results. Disc ID: RITEK-S04-66 per ImgBurn. I have to admit that I burned some discs earlier today with some Verbatims and ImgBurn for sure was the fastest and more efficient in Build Mode from another Disc in another drive. I'm not going to knock these AcePlus right off the back because of a MID. I'll burn then post back my take.

• Replies 666
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hm, I've got a mystery package on the way.  :o  I don't know who sent it, but the only guess I have is that it's LG sending me my replacement WH16NS60 for my replacement NS60.  They were kind enough to notify UPS to send me an e-mail saying they had picked up the package and its estimated delivery date.  It originated from Round Rock, Texas.  I checked the return shipping label LG sent before and it was addressed to Round Rock, Texas, which makes me more certain it's my LG replacement drive.

• 2 weeks later...

Installed the replacement NS60 a week ago this past Saturday.  Since then, I've burned a few DVD+R DL and 2 BD-R and BD-RE fine.  I had my first opportunity to burn a DVD-R in it just now.  No noticeable read or write speed dips that weren't explainable in either Write or Verify.  The play test will be the proof in the pudding.  And, of course, before, I'd get 1 good burn and then a bad burn alternately.  So, I still don't know yet if it's a change in the DVD-R's that CMC made that the NS60 doesn't like or maybe I got a bad batch of discs.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND the play back test, of course, failed.  So, it wasn't a dying drive, but CMC fucked with the DVD-R's now so they're just as useless as the DVD+R's from Verbatim DataLife Plus. 

I'll try those TY's I found.  They may be cheaper, but they may be actual TY quality.

I sent LG a logical, detailed, and thorough explanation as to why they needed to update the firmware for the WH16NS60 to address the DVD-R's no longer writing properly.  What did LG do?  They sent me a boilerplate text response saying most issues are not firmware related.  :rolleyes:  I've only been goddamn beta testing ImgBurn for 15 years.  It's not like I can't follow Mill's methods of observation to determine a firmware problem.

@dbminter LG is a lost cause when you're trying to reason with them especially when they are wrong and they know it! Believe me when I brought up the issue about which This Thread is almost about, they plain flat out told me that they were not going to change their method of doing things, and that every burner from here on out was going to bitset to DVD-R. Just move on from them if you want an can. I did, and am most happy for it! I use them to mostly read as they are good readers in my experience,  and my Liteon and PIODATA burners do the rest. I'm even buying a PIODATA Blu-ray burner as I now believe in them, and I'm also going to try out their Blu-ray discs. They don't offer DVD+R discs, just DVD-R, and I've grown to like +R. Just move on if you want and can. :thumbup:

• 3 weeks later...

Excuse the lateness, but yes they make internal BD burners. They're company statement or motto, is "quality for less". Just go to their site at PIODATA.COM. They also have DVD-R and BD-R discs for sale. No +R unfortunately. My DVD PIODATA is burning just fine and no -R bitsetting unless you want it via ImgBurn etc...

Yes I agree something has changed with the Verbatim discs. Well just to let you know, I got a coaster at just 8x, so I put it at 4x and all well. Before that burn it did fine at 8x. I know that to be a stickler it should burn at all the posted speeds, though I'm giving them slack because of the source. Who knows. It's just DVD video.

My slim LITEON has been excellent. There's different postings of it on Newegg etc... you have to go with the one with the most reviews. Also it doesn't bitset to -R. So my PIODATA and LITEON to burn my +R, and my LG for reading or -R.

ImgBurn still out speeds my other burning app and great results. I would have to experiment with DVD video and it's hi-def counterpart like .mp4 or .mkv, and see if it's just that maybe when the player says no disc, it's just that it read the wrong folder first. Reason I say that is because something told me to give it another try on a disc I had, and it took it on the 2nd try. 

They're going to put ConvertXToVideo at 64 bit by year's end, and the new interface will be done next year. I need it! It has opyions I need sometimes like Merge, etc...

PIOData doesn't make BD burners that I could find on their website.  For me, BD is a must.

The last projections I saw from VSO was the 64 bit version was coming out around May.  I guess they got delayed.

Those TY's I ordered to try out should arrive tomorrow.  I'll see if they're actually worth anything.

Wow!  16x DVD+RW!  At least according to Maxell's own label.

https://www.officedepot.com/a/products/274784/Maxell-DVDRW-Rewritable-Media-Spindle-47GB120/

Hover around the posted image and check out the label.  Maxell says you can get up to 16x on their DVD+RW!  :o  That's amazing!  And impossible as far as I know, since 8x was the last known highest speed achieved by DVD+RW that I'm aware of.

Burned 2 of these new TY discs and they seem to be fine.  I burned 1 disc with about half of its capacity and another nearly full.  Both played their contents completely fine in my PS3.  No skipping in the playback like the Verbatim DataLife MCC DVD-R do when burned in my WH16NS60 and played back on my PS3.

So, even though these discs are cheaper than the MCC DVD-R, they do appear to still be quality Taiyo Yuden media.

• 2 months later...

Yeah, wow! I'm done with LG as burners. I'll finish using mine as a reader. These burners are very particular to media. Since this already happened it's on them.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey @dbminter how do I select particular drives to burn what's on my queue? I can set all drives to burn all images, though not know how to just set my two preferred drives for all queued images? Thanks. 

Got another mystery package coming by UPS.  I've got no outstanding orders, so the only thing it can logically be is the replacement from LG.  The drive I sent them arrived on Thursday.  They appear to have replaced it without charging me for it.  I said I'd be willing to pay for the repairs, but they never took down my payment information.  So, I doubt they'd send me the replacement if they were going to charge me for it without charging first.  I guess they replaced it for free?  :unsure:

There is one possible scenario I had overlooked with this mystery package.  LG reserves the right to return items sent to them that weren't requested.  So, maybe LG is returning my drive I sent to them for some reason.

Interesting.  LG has completely wiped their website of any mention of support for the WH16NS60.  It's not an officially available product on their burner site anymore.  The WH16NS40 is still there, but not the NS60.  I wonder why.  And, the product page for the NS60 is still available if you type in the original URL of it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.