dr_ml422

TSSTcorp CDDVD SH-S202J SB03 won't read disc

I bought these because I thought the branded ones from the Verbatim Store were like the branded from Best Buy.

DVD-R 4.7GB 16X VX Shiny Silver 50pk Wrap

DDDecent price at @$22.00 plus $8.95 shipping. They didn't raise the shipping when I added another 50pk. Fast shipping. Were there just now. Now if the branded from the Verbatim Store are not Life series as the Best Buy then I'll check them out. I have a nice burning project with some series. The Walking Dead 1-7, Batman Animated Series including Justice League, just to share a few. To kill time I burnt some Trisonic DVD-R and very surprised for .99cent store pick-up.

I don't think the Verbatim online store sells the Life Series media.  I believe you will only find AZO and DataLife Plus media there.  I didn't see anything labeled Life Series there.  And I believe Life Series is just the media that Verbatim sells in stores.  It's more likely to reach mass penetration so they sell the cheaper stuff there to maximize profit.

I take it your drive was able to read the Trisonic DVD-R s ?

Also did you ever get ImgBurn to create logs ?

It's usually just settings for the logs when it doesn't do this.

The new Drive I posted reads everything so far.

10 minutes ago, cholla said:

I take it your drive was able to read the Trisonic DVD-R s ?

Also did you ever get ImgBurn to create logs ?

It's usually just settings for the logs when it doesn't do this.

Hm, so they do offer their Life Series on their web store.  Well, you probably just wasted your time and money if you bought the Life Series ones off of the Verbatim store.  If it says Life Series, regardless of where you get it, it's CMC media.  The branded ones are AZO, which is good stuff, too, like the DataLife Plus series.

Edited by dbminter

I got the shiny ones I posted. I didn't go for their DVD+R Life series. Their DVD-R branded which I posted are also different. I'll knock out those shiny DVD-R. Wonder when the shipping goes up, at what quantity.

@dbminter You were right. The Verbatims are CMC F3, and these are the shiny ones not the branded Life Series. You think it's true that CMC polished up their act, and are putting out good media? I haven't had any issues at all. Some are Ritek as I posted, and then some say CMC F3. I would have to experiment with a pack of Data Life Series and see what they brand out to.

So what media is really good these days? Are the JVCs really CMC Mags?

I wouldn't trust CMC as far as I could throw their corporate headquarters.  You only get 1 chance to make a good impression.  And they have, for over a decade, made a bad impression.

To be even more shady, CMC just happens to be an arrangement of the letters of the good DataLife Plus stuff.  The good stuff will be labeled as MCC for Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation.

The only JVC media I've tried in the last few years were BD-RE, and they were CMC.

Wow! To be exact they're CMC MAG, AM3. So what media can we get at a reasonable price that's not CMC MAG? Just the Data Life Plus? Thanks.

Depends on your definition of reasonable price.  Some people see DataLife Plus as too expensive, even though you're only paying about 50 cents a blank.  And the cheap always comes out expensive.  Personally, I find DataLife Plus priced reasonably.  I don't mind paying some cents extra for quality media.  And DataLife Plus is all I use or recommend.  So, CMC media is cheaper but it's also cheap.

So the days of Sony, Maxwell, Ricoh etc... are gone huh. Are the supposed Taiyo Yuden JVC really CMC MAG as well? I'm going to get a blank from a friend and put it in, see what it brands out as. At the Data Life Plus price no one's getting a freebie from me. Lol...:D

Sony still sells DVD-R, but they don't make them.  Ritek/Ricoh does, which is decent enough 2nd tier media.  However, Sony has made little but garbage since 2002, in everything they sell.  Back when they made their own DVD-R, it was quality media, then farmed it out to raise profits.  Don't know about Maxell anymore.  It's been over 10 years since I had a recordable DVD from them.  Ricoh stopped making 8x DVD+RW, that much I do know.  I think they also ceased production on 6x DVD-RW.

It would be interesting to see if CMC still makes its own crap media.  Of course, even if the DID was changed, I wouldn't trust them.  It would be just like CMC to use faked DID's.  Plus, if they were still the price of CMC's but said MCC, how could they sell the better quality media at the same price as their crap media?  Answer: they couldn't.

You actually might be even more right than anything, as I do notice these Verbs get touched up quickly via tiny dust etc... I think something is going on with their tag because some I seen say CMC MAG and some tag out as Ritek F 16 or whatever. Prodisc makes Maxwell and they were pretty good, even here at a mom and pop they have the white coated printable ones straight from Prodisc. I'm just afraid to use something else that my burner might not like. I'll have to take a risk with some. TBH I burnt some Fujis from a 5pack, and some Trisonic from a 3 pack and was surprised. I'm even surprised that the Trisonic have a non-ink look, and wondered how they manufacture them without ink? I'll put some of the above mentioned in and post their I'd tags. So far no coaster or bad burn from about 150 of these shiny printable Verbatims. They're $22 bucks a 50 pack with about $8 bucks shipping, so @$50 bucks here there not bad. I wonder when the shipping goes up? That's why I got 2 packs to try instead of one. I'll also get some JVCS see how they make out and brand out.

Are you saying in the same cake stack, you're getting discs with different DID's?  If so, that shouldn't be and it sounds like someone less than scrupulous mixing and matching media.  If they're from different sellers/suppliers, it might make more sense.  e.g. if they have different labels on top, if they're branded, or if they have different labels on the packaging.  One particular manufacturer might be using higher quality Ritek versus CMC.  Although, they're all farmed out from Verbatim, so why they'd have some as Ritek and some as CMC is a bit of a mystery.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.