dr_ml422

TSSTcorp CDDVD SH-S202J SB03 won't read disc

Hey guys, I just experienced something after converting one of my files to .mkv where it wouldn't play because of Hardware Digital Rights Management? Now how the heck did this happen since the original file was in .mp4 and played just fine with every player including VLC, MPC-HC, VSO, and even Movies&TV? Is Microsoft doing this in Windows 10 in the background? Believe me the original .mp4 plays just fine. It can't be a HEVC issue since all my other .mkv files that I converted play just right as well.

Received a 50pk tub of AcePlus DVD+R DL 8x and must say they look very solid. Now to burn and post back results. Disc ID: RITEK-S04-66 per ImgBurn. I have to admit that I burned some discs earlier today with some Verbatims and ImgBurn for sure was the fastest and more efficient in Build Mode from another Disc in another drive. I'm not going to knock these AcePlus right off the back because of a MID. I'll burn then post back my take.

No coaster! Looking great! I'll be using these and Verbatim, and eXtremePro which puts out a decent DVD+R DL.

20200201_034339.jpg?t=hi23jmy5

Just because you don't get a coaster doesn't mean they're good.  I tried 3 Ritek DVD+R DL that were sold by Office Depot years ago.  They all burned and Verified fine, but, a year later, 2 of them were unreadable!

I'll have to see because right now we don't know how long the verbatim are going to stay good. I got these from Amazon. It's worth a shot atvl.

Hm, I've got a mystery package on the way.  :o  I don't know who sent it, but the only guess I have is that it's LG sending me my replacement WH16NS60 for my replacement NS60.  They were kind enough to notify UPS to send me an e-mail saying they had picked up the package and its estimated delivery date.  It originated from Round Rock, Texas.  I checked the return shipping label LG sent before and it was addressed to Round Rock, Texas, which makes me more certain it's my LG replacement drive.

Installed the replacement NS60 a week ago this past Saturday.  Since then, I've burned a few DVD+R DL and 2 BD-R and BD-RE fine.  I had my first opportunity to burn a DVD-R in it just now.  No noticeable read or write speed dips that weren't explainable in either Write or Verify.  The play test will be the proof in the pudding.  And, of course, before, I'd get 1 good burn and then a bad burn alternately.  So, I still don't know yet if it's a change in the DVD-R's that CMC made that the NS60 doesn't like or maybe I got a bad batch of discs.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND the play back test, of course, failed.  So, it wasn't a dying drive, but CMC fucked with the DVD-R's now so they're just as useless as the DVD+R's from Verbatim DataLife Plus. 

I'll try those TY's I found.  They may be cheaper, but they may be actual TY quality.

I sent LG a logical, detailed, and thorough explanation as to why they needed to update the firmware for the WH16NS60 to address the DVD-R's no longer writing properly.  What did LG do?  They sent me a boilerplate text response saying most issues are not firmware related.  :rolleyes:  I've only been goddamn beta testing ImgBurn for 15 years.  It's not like I can't follow Mill's methods of observation to determine a firmware problem.

@dbminter LG is a lost cause when you're trying to reason with them especially when they are wrong and they know it! Believe me when I brought up the issue about which This Thread is almost about, they plain flat out told me that they were not going to change their method of doing things, and that every burner from here on out was going to bitset to DVD-R. Just move on from them if you want an can. I did, and am most happy for it! I use them to mostly read as they are good readers in my experience,  and my Liteon and PIODATA burners do the rest. I'm even buying a PIODATA Blu-ray burner as I now believe in them, and I'm also going to try out their Blu-ray discs. They don't offer DVD+R discs, just DVD-R, and I've grown to like +R. Just move on if you want and can. :thumbup:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.