Hybrid DL DVD and layer break position

Imgundrstndng

Hi,

I've got this error from mastering facility:
Layer 1 of the DVD-Video image does not start with a new Cell.

Imgburn had not shown 'Create Layer Break Position' window, creating image and then by checking Tools>ISO>'Display IFO Layer Break Information..' says:
... None of the cells meet the 'DVD-Video specification' criteria for a potential layer break position.

But it's a hybrid DL DVD and size of actual dvd files (ifo, vobs, ..) don't exceed 3.5 GB, the rest is a data (mp4 file).

So my assumption is that there's actually no need to create break position or it's not possible because there's no dvd data in that place.

Am I right?

(I found possible solution in this thread:
http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?/topic/17067-setting-layer-break-with-an-hybrid-iso-img/&tab=comments#comment-128077

but it doesn't work for me, new ISO file still reports error - Tools>ISO>'Display IFO Layer Break Information..')

What exactly do you mean by a hybrid DL DVD?  Do you just mean a mixture of VIDEO_TS folder and this MP4 file?

I can't see why a layer break should matter here.  Well, it might, I  suppose, depending on the size of the MP4 file.  How big is it?

About this Layer 1 message you got.  You say it comes from the program you used to master the VIDEO_TS?  So, I don't see the point.  As long as ImgBurn doesn't complain, it shouldn't matter.  Since VIDEO_TS is less than 4 GB, a layer break shouldn't matter.  And, as I said before, I can't see why ImgBurn would complain about this job.

Hi,

yes, with hybrid I mean mixture of VIDEO_TS folder and MP4 file.
VIDEO_TS has 3,91 GiB and mp4 file has 3,78 GiB.

no, error was send from mastering facility. error is 'Layer break not on cell boundary' with description: 'Layer 1 of the DVD-Video image does not start with a new Cell.' and there is also background info:
DVD-Video information is formatted into one or more objects called Cells. The DVD-Video specifications require that a
Cell must be recorded within a layer. This means that a cell cannot cross layers. Therefore, on a dual-layer image, the
DVD-Video information on Layer 1 must start with a new Cell.
they use Eclipse to control these things for what I know, but I don't know if it's hardware or software or what.

what I did then was check with imgburn Tools>ISO>'Display IFO Layer Break Information..' and it also says:
Optimal L1 Data Zone Start LBA: None Found! (VTS_01)

This image has not been mastered correctly for burning onto a double layer (OTP Track Path) disc.

None of the cells meet the 'DVD-Video specification' criteria for a potential layer break position.

Did this mastering software create an ISO you're trying to burn with ImgBurn?  If so, that software may have made an invalid ISO file.  Your best bet is to use ImgBurn's Build mode and make your own image file with the VIDEO_TS and the MP4, if you're not doing so already.  If the mastering software didn't make a VIDEO_TS file and only made the ISO, you'd have to extract the VIDEO_TS from the ISO for using in Build mode.  You can do that with either something like UltraISO or mount the ISO as a virtual drive with any of a number of utilities.

This could be a tricky one.

ImgBurn probably sees there's enough space for the dvd video side of thing in 1 layer and doesn't attempt to do anything with the layer break... But if you're burning to a DL disc, it's better to have equal amounts on both layers, in which case it would fall within the dvd video content.

I haven't had any reason to do do hybrid stuff, so your situation won't have been tested very much... Or at all.

I do these kinds of things a lot with ImgBurn.  In fact, I just did one today.  And they're generally this type of situation, where the VIDEO_TS doesn't span layers.  I've not had any issues with them, even when the VIDEO_TS does span both layers and there are other container video files.

Isn't this the way it always works?  After I posted the above, I attempted to build another "hybrid" DVD DL.  However, I couldn't, but it was entirely explainable.  The VIDEO_TS spanned both layers, nearly 5 GB, and the other additional files were about 3.5 GB.  This resulted in a Build job that was roughly 99% of the available space.  My experience with building DVD DL discs has been that when you have contents that exceed roughly 95% of the available space, the unable to find a layer break End Of The World error occurs.  Which is what happened here.

Going with using Build mode as suggested by dbminter.

If you have two optical drives you can Build from one disc to another.

Used this way Build mode creates folders & files on the disk being written to instead of an .iso

Since this specific disk doesn't have a layer break.

Maybe ImgBurn will Build is like it is.

You should build to image files whenever possible.  While it will work from one optical disc to another as you say, there's a higher likelihood that a read error from the source disc will result in a useless target disc.  If you create to an image file first, if there's a read error, you haven't wasted a writable disc.

My usual method is to rip to a hard drive.

I usually use another software because the DVD is a commercial movie DVD.

So I can remove the encryption & compress if I want to.

I usually do this to DVD compliant folders & files instead of an .iso.

Then I Build to a DVD writable disc with ImgBurn.

For Imgundrstndng's DVD since he is having a problem I thought a Build disc to disc might work.

If it fails it is only one coaster.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.