Too many UDF Extended File Entry AD's

JustAsking

I am attempting to create an ISO from a pair of files, one of which is about 275G. I know this is large for an ISO but can it be done? Is there any way around this error?

The complete error displayed is: Too many UDF Extended File Entry AD's to fit in buffer!

Thanks.

Long story short, I am trying to get a VirtualBox environment setup and due to the state of the VM, I can only see optical drives from within (no USBs). I can mount ISO files and they are seen as optical drives by the environment. I have a backup I wish to restore into that VB but need to package it as an ISO in order to be able to access it. The backup is 275Gig.

I don't intend to write it to any media and will delete it once I have restored the backup to the VB environment.

So, that is where I am...

This might not be what is needed so just an idea.

Acronis backup software creates a file the size of the backup.

It has the extension .tib .

I assume this is an image file since it can be mounted with the Acronis software into Windows Explorer.

Once mounted the files in the backup are accessible even to copy to somewhere else.

Other backup software may have this same function . Acronis is just the one I use.

I believe [unless a special driver / emulator is available] that it has to be an ISO file. It needs to appear to the OS as an optical drive. I can do this with ISOs of bootable USB sticks and ISOs made from bootable CDs. This is how I get the "environment" prepped for the restore. I just can't access the restore file set (DriveImage XML) due to not being able to re-package the pair of backup files as an ISO.

I am running in Win 10 Home. Am building a VB of my prior laptop which is Win 8.1 Pro. I created the VB, mounted the boot media, and can get to the point of doing the restore but can't see it due to not being able to mount it. Tried loading the VB extension set that supports seeing USB (etc.) from within the VB but that causes it all to crash. Hence my desire to create a large (~275Gig) ISO file. :(

Well I use. Macrium reflect, while they don't natively mount to a virtual drive like 'virtual clone drive' you can tell the software to mount the disc. It then mounts it in the OS and it does show up as one, drive letter to boot.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 6P met Tapatalk

I also use Reflect, and their mri files are probably proprietary, too.  In fact, I think you recommended it to me way back in Version 4.

OT, 7.2 was released yesterday.  Seems if you have the updated CBT enabled, your system shutdown and restart times are longer.  I've noticed longer restarts and I do use CBT.

Thanks for the info and options! I do need the results to appear as an optical drive though [hence ISO]. If I could get a hard drive or share to be viable within the VB I would not be here... :(

Appreciate the ideas and I will keep looking as well.

Thanks all!

Sounds like both backup softwares work a lot the same way.

I agree the backup software need to be installed in the VM.

The backup software should be able to see any hard drive or optical drive on the computer.

Unless it works differently inside your VM.

I haven't used Macrium reflect but I have heard it is good backup software.

I will probably stick with Acronis because it has worked well for me.

I have 3 different paid versions.The reason is I got them almost free after rebate.

I even have one version on an USB external hard drive that will boot into Acronis

& then is able to select the image.tib from a different partition on that hard drive & restore that to my OS system drive.

I fell out with Acronis and moved to Reflect because for like 4 straight version numbers, the bootable rescue media would not recognize many of my different external USB HDD's where I stored my Acronis backups.  The worst culprit was the build that DID detect them, but when you tried to restore image files from them, Acronis would delete the partition target and then conveniently, mysteriously "forget" the USB HDD is attached ( :rolleyes: ), rendering the restore process impossible AND your old partition deleted.

Edited by dbminter

I had a few problems when I first started using Acronis many years ago.

I learned it likes the junk files cleaned with CCleaner & a defrag before creating a backup.

I usually reboot as well.

No problems for many years now .

I use 3 different powered USB external HDDs & one USB powered HDD for my laptop backup.

One of the USB HDDs has 4 partitions two of the partitions are NTFS & two are FAT32.

Acronis recognizes all of those partitions.

I have 4 computers I backup & I use the USB HDD I have for that computer.

No problem using the rescue media to boot a computer into Acronis or it recognizing any of my USB drives.

I don't have any OS newer than Windows 7 .

Some people have trouble with Windows 10 & I might also.

My newest version of Acronis is 2017 & it lists Windows 10 as an OS it supports.

As before I've read Reflect is also a good backup software & I have no doubt that it is.

I'm just an Acronis home user & have no affiliations with Acronis other than purchasing their software.

So my best advice is use the software that works best for you.

Edited by cholla

Another problem I had was defragging a drive with my Acronis backups killed them!  Acronis would no longer restore or verify them if the partition was defragged.

And I'd be worried more about Acronis "forgetting" USB HDD's are attached when doing a restore.  I had thought they had fixed the recovery media until I tried to do a restore and it failed with detaching the USB HDD trying to read the file for input.  That was when I swore off of Acronis True Image.

Yeah, if it works for you, by all means, of course, continue using it.  I keep using Reflect because except for one FATAL image bug they introduced earlier in the year (NTFS file systems were not properly saved in Incremental backups.) Macrium hasn't messed up the software too badly.  :wink:

I think I was able to solve my problem and will know more tonight when I try to use it.

I found a powershell script that allows the creation of an ISO file of unlimited size. Used it last night to create a 280Gig ISO and was able to mount it under Win10. Tonight I will see if I can make it available to VB and if it can be seen by the VB session. Will update with results...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.