Newbie dumb question

shipmodeler

I have had no trouble burning files to disks, so forgive me if this question may be stupid.  Does ImgBurn burn to flash and transistor drives?  I have a Windows 10 OS in my computer and I am trying to burn folders to a flash drive.   I tried with no success to burn to the HD so I could then burn to the flash drive.  Any help?

21 minutes ago, LIGHTNING UK! said:

No, 'burning' only applies to optical drives/discs.

You just 'copy' to other devices.

ImgBurn is just for optical drives.

Good to hear.  I thought I was just a moron not being able to burn to flash and digital drives.  One last question; what is the difference between "copying" and "burning", and can Imgburn "copy" to a flash drive?

Edited by shipmodeler

I had a feeling you were referencing a flash drive with the phrase transistor drive.

In ImgBurn, copying means reading a disc in an optical drive to an image file on another storage media, usually a hard drive.  This image file is then burned to a recordable optical disc in a burner.  Burning doesn't necessarily have to be copying, though, as you can use Build mode to create an image file for burning to a recordable disc.

Flash drives cannot be "burned" to in ImgBurn.  I would guess as long as you left it plugged in, you could Read an optical disc to an image file or Build an image file to a flash drive.  But, you can't burn to flash drives in ImgBurn.  Burning only applies to CD/DVD/Blu-Ray writers.  (Well, though I've never gotten it to work, if you had a virtual drive that could be written to, I suppose ImgBurn could burn to such a virtual writer.)

It's called 'burning' for optical drive/discs, because you're physically burning the disc (in a very precise manor).

You just drag and drop files to a flash drive using the file manager built into Windows (aka Explorer).

But really, it all depends on what you actually have that you want to put on this usb flash drive. Your original post says 'folders', in which case, copy and paste / drag and drop is all you need.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.