Burned DVD works on PC not standalone DVD player

Big Dawg

I have a video editing program that allows me to make home movies of pictures I've taken of the family.

Once the high-resolution (1920x1080) AVI video file is saved. I drag it to Imgburn and select "Write files/folders to disc" and then start the burning process on a new DVD+R disc.

The resulting DVD plays just fine, with excellent video quality, on the desktop computer's DVD player, however, the disc will not play in my standalone DVD player connected to my Smart TV nor my portable DVD player.  These DVD players say the DVD disc isn't compatible.

I've noticed several settings under both the Options tab and the Advanced tab but have not tried changing any of them. Are there some settings that I need to change so that the DVD disc will play on the standalone DVD players as well as the computer's DVD player?

BD

Well, first, does your DVD player support playing AVI file from a disc?  Have you done this before and the DVD player played the disc?  If your DVD player doesn't support playing back AVI files natively, then, you cannot do what you did and get a playable DVD.  You cannot just drag and drop an AVI to a disc for burning and get a DVD player to play it unless your DVD player natively supports AVI file types.  If your DVD player does not support AVI playback, you'll need a DVD conversion software like ConvertXToDVD, which is what I use.

If you have successfully created DVD's with AVI's on them that your DVD player has played in the past, then, post the log of the burn where you wrote this AVI to disc.  I'd need to see more detail.

Thanks for the followup.

I have used WinX HD converter to convert the AVI file to MP4 but since that didn't work, I was told that MP4 is a container file and DVD nor Blu Ray players play that.

So does ConvertXToDVD use some other process to get the ultimately created file (whether starting with AVI or any other file type) and get the resulting file when burned to a DVD will play in the DVD or Blu Ray player?  Keep in mind, I want to keep the same 1920X1080 resolution that the originally created file was created with.

Some DVD/BD players do play MP4 files, like the Playstation 3.  It depends on if the player was designed to natively support them, which the device's instruction manual will say so or not.  Or you can do tests and see if they will play MP4/AVI on your own, but you should use rewritable media for that.

DVD Video is contained in a folder called VIDEO_TS which contains .IFO control files and .VOB files, which are the actual audio and video files (VideoOBject).  ConvertXToDVD will convert container files to VIDEO_TS compliant folders and files that you can import the VIDEO_TS folder into ImgBurn's Build mode with.  ImgBurn will set all the necessary options for DVD Video compliance by itself.  Keep in mind ConvertXToDVD will generate its own proprietary menus but there are several menu types to choose from and, for the adventurous, you can edit the menus to fit your own design.  I've never done that as I find the standard menus are fine for me, but it's an option.

As for resolution on DVD, the resolution in the container file is unimportant, I think.  For DVD, resolution only exists, as far as I know, in standard screen (full screen) and widescreen (16x9).  If you want better resolution controls, I don't know what to say except that ConvertXToHD by the same company as ConvertXToDVD may be what you need, but that only creates Blu-Ray discs.  You can contact them to see which option is better for you to try out and if they can tell if there's a way to preserve the video resolution.

ConvertXtoDVD has a free 7 day trial function which is uncrippled except for watermarks on video output, I think.  You can try it out for yourself and see if it creates something you'd be happy with before buying it.

Thanks to all that replied.

A solution has been found!

Thanks to dminter's suggestion, I downloaded the  ConvertXtoDVD program and set the Output Resolution to Automatic (Based on input resolution) and not only did ConvertXtoDVD do the conversion but burned the disc to a DVD in one easy step.

The resulting DVD disc played on my Desktop PC AS WELL AS both my DVD player and my Blu-Ray player with no issues. The resulting video quality, although not quite as good as the video's I burn to run on my Blu-Ray player, is far better than the relatively low resolution that a normal DVD video image has.  I'm ecstatic!

So again a special thanks to dminter.

dbminter:

I appreciate the additional help, however, that info is way past the zenith of my understanding of all of this. 

All I know is, your suggestion has solved my problem to my satisfaction.  As stated, although the resulting DVD isn't quite as good as the resolution I get when burning a Blu-Ray, it is superior to what a standard DVD resolution is. With the added bonus that ConvertXtoDVD is an all in one converter and burner. No more using one program to convert the video file, then switching to a different program to burn the DVD.  The only thing I wish ConvertXtoDVD had was a more comprehensive help manual to explain each setting in more detail so that I can fine tune what I want the end result to me.

Thanks again.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.