Windows 10 CD Burning Issues

Neil Sherin

I've had issues with a LiteOn USB DVD drive connected to my laptop refusing to burn CDs. I've tried the drive both connected directly and via a powered USB hub being the only device connected on the hub.

The burning process seems to fail at writing the Lead In stage and I've probably produced over 15 coasters attempting to burn discs. I've tried AnyBurn, CDBurnerXP and ImgBurn.

This is with Windows 10 Pro build 1809. I've even tried a clean install of Windows 10 but to no avail. I've attached an ImgBurn log file. Any advaice would be much appreciate as to any advice on how to solve this one!

ImgBurn.log

Yes, you'll want the Verbatim DataLife Plus AZO CD's you can only find online.  Verbatim's Life Series you find in stores is CMC junk.  I, too, would recommend first trying the better quality Verbatim stuff.

If you have a log from a Maxell burn that failed, check it for the DID/MID/Disc ID/Manufacturer ID line.  See if it's also CMC.  Or copy and paste it here so we can see if it's a cheap manufacturer, too.  I would be willing to bet it's probably also CMC.

Yeah, there's no way of telling from the log if you switched brand names or not.  Both burns are CMC, but they could both be Verbatims.

Another thing to take into consideration that you probably won't like.  Your drive appears to be a slim model.  Slim models are junk.  Particularly for writing.  They have a high failure rate for writing.  You may have to get a half height drive in a USB enclosure, either already sold that way or buy a half height model and a USB enclosure to put it in.  I went with that second route for my BD burner.

Sorry for the slow update. The Verbatim Datalife Plus AZO discs finally arrived today. I've just burnt a VMware ESXI ISO as a test and had success. I'll order in some more of those CDs now they work - I initially only ordered 10.

I've just ordered a pack of 10 Verbatim AZO DVD+Rs to test as well as I had similar issues with burning DVDs a while back.

I'll report back my findings!

Yeah, most of the problems we see on this board are caused by using cheap media, especially CMC discs.  And most of those problems tend to go away when people switch over to Verbatim DataLife Plus/AZO media.

Before I ever learned of anything called CMC, I wasted $1,500 trying to troubleshoot why discs I had used for half a year started failing half the time.  Then, I learned of DID's and CMC and checked the failed burns.  Sure enough, Optodisc had switched from their quality brand to CMC junk.  So, Optodisc went on my :horse: list and I've never looked back to them since.  You only get 1 chance to impress.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.